Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires not sucking any more blood when the haven't ben found  (Read 1330 times)

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so I'm trying to catch my 8 vampire/were beasts but when ever there is a report of someone sucked dry(no homo) I search and find them but then I follow them for a bit and they never drink any more blood. year 125 for the first two, no more after that

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires not sucking any more blood when the haven't ben found
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 03:27:11 am »

If there are no more victims after a long time the vampire(s) has probably either died, been contained (intentionally or not, e.g. stuck in a tree, although they should be able to climb down [although vampires don't get hungry or thirsty, which might block the initiation of the emergency climbing]), or have left the map (e.g. being merchants or visitors).

Finding vampires using "legitimate" means, i.e. not scripts, etc. isn't trivial when it's a fortress member, and almost impossible when it's a merchant (visitors are announced as vampires on arrival if not part of a performance troupe, although it's easy to miss the announcement).

I'm not aware of any (other) reports of vampires renouncing their habits.

Also note that your time reference is useless, as it's just a random number until you add what the current year is (i.e. "for two years" would provide a useful reference, and "it's currently 127" would provide the same info).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:29:39 am by PatrikLundell »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:11:10 am »

Maybe these vampires kill during their first eating due to some factor related to arriving at the fort, then do not kill while they continue snacking on your dwarfs over the years.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 11:39:21 am »

If I've understood it correctly, a dorf has to be unusually healthy (or whatever the relevant attribute(s) is) not to get killed by draining, so it would require extreme luck for the vampire to happen upon such victims every time over several years.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 11:51:04 am »

If there are no more victims after a long time the vampire(s) has probably either died, been contained (intentionally or not, e.g. stuck in a tree, although they should be able to climb down [although vampires don't get hungry or thirsty, which might block the initiation of the emergency climbing]), or have left the map (e.g. being merchants or visitors).

Finding vampires using "legitimate" means, i.e. not scripts, etc. isn't trivial when it's a fortress member, and almost impossible when it's a merchant (visitors are announced as vampires on arrival if not part of a performance troupe, although it's easy to miss the announcement).

I'm not aware of any (other) reports of vampires renouncing their habits.

Also note that your time reference is useless, as it's just a random number until you add what the current year is (i.e. "for two years" would provide a useful reference, and "it's currently 127" would provide the same info).
I've checked over all of my personal dwarves because it happened while there was no caravan or tavern in it. it was also only farmers and I was wondering if vampires know who is a vampire and isn't and use that to create a "guild"?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »

@Patrik
With the changes to undead and the types of undead, vampires may have been updated. It is just something to be considered.

@Gandalf
They probably did not create a farmer's guild because they are all vampires, but may have all become vampires because they were all farmers. Maybe the world gen process spreads vampirism through "meetings" in "locations". If you are certain of the list of vampires, you should be able to track when they arrived at your fort, and review if they were a member of this guild before arriving at your fort (not sure how to do this, but there is probably some event information indicating when they joined a guild or when it formed). But, this is speculation and maybe they are all legendary animal caretakers who consider your fort's dwarfs to be a herd to be tended.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:54:52 pm by anewaname »
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 11:01:58 am »

ok I will look in to that

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 02:05:21 pm »

nothing all there is is a long list of DEATH

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 03:45:33 pm »

A melancholy dwarf(or a very unhappy vampire) will lose his desire to eat and DRINK(blood in this case, yet never die).
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GandalfTheGreyt3791

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 04:49:31 pm »

ok thx