Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)  (Read 4758 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 03:25:24 pm »

So I think you meant "persuasive" rather than "persuadable" there, C2.

Skills are evidently both rare and really, really harsh in this game. The differences from 0d to 1d to 2d are all MASSIVE.

So I guess Kind of B but also D, using the recognition signal (organized through flashback, apparently) and taking the time to explain to him that actually Sari will be just fine, she's just unconscious so that everyone involved has plausible deniability should it be necessary. Y'see, we're protecting his friend here from any consequences. Marissa will Push herself (what exactly are the consequences?) to bring us to not-at-disadvantage.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:28:30 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2020, 04:07:52 pm »

So I think you meant "persuasive" rather than "persuadable" there, C2.

Skills are evidently both rare and really, really harsh in this game. The differences from 0d to 1d to 2d are all MASSIVE.

So I guess Kind of B but also D, using the recognition signal (organized through flashback, apparently) and taking the time to explain to him that actually Sari will be just fine, she's just unconscious so that everyone involved has plausible deniability should it be necessary. Y'see, we're protecting his friend here from any consequences. Marissa will Push herself (what exactly are the consequences?) to bring us to not-at-disadvantage.

Oops good catch!

Yeah skills are a bit rare, but you can always push yourself (and always get an assist from a teammate due to having a Spider on your team) to get an extra 1 or 2d. The only cost of pushing yourself is Stress, which can go up to 9. And even if you get a bad roll, you can always resist the consequences. The game leads you to get beaten up, sometimes badly, but you can keep on going if you’re determined enough.

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2020, 05:17:59 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 11:18:20 am »

Into the Fire Part 4

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Marissa steps forward and commands, “Drop it, the white crow circles the tower twice. Bell sent us to get you out of here, and we are going to do it even if we have to carry you out. Sari will be fine, she’ll wake up with a headache and none the wiser”

He visibly wavers, then drops his pistol to his side and slumps against the wall, defeated. You think only you notice the trickle of sweat from her brow. But he straightens a bit and looks at you both.

“I’ll go, but we need to take her,” gestures at Sari, “with us. Who knows what those Lampblack brutes will do to her?”

What do you decide?
A. Take her with you. Will slow you down even more and . . . raise questions.

B. Leave her, deal with Harin’s resistance somehow.

C. Something else? Still not too late too shoot him. . .

After you decide what, you quickly search the room. (4)  The room is pretty finely decorated, with a tapestry covering one wall, plush chairs, and that richly covered bed, but relatively few things worth stealing, though your hands itch a bit. On the table in the room are a variety of drugs (~1 coins worth) a small sack of silver slugs (2 coins) and the jackpot is a bundle of papers detailing the Lampblack’s smuggling routes.If the Red Sashes got their hands on this, they could easily ambush them and cripple the Lampblack’s. You jiggle the sheathe of papers at Harin, raising an eyebrow at him. He looks a bit abashed.

You stuff the drugs in a satchel at your side, documents in a secure pocket on the inside of your coat, and toss the sack of silver to Marissa, who with practiced ease attaches securely to her belt.
2/5 load on you, 2/5 load on Marissa.

(Your Load is what you carry with you on missions. Since you are good scoundrels who plan out their heists, you generally bring the right tool to the situation. Since we aren’t (hopefully) going to spending hours deciding what to bring, your inventory exists in an almost quantum state until you bring out a certain tool that you want. Of course I’m fiction you had it all long, we just didn’t know that at the time.

Now as you get ready to leave the room, Kelyir’s (your Leech/alchemist/inventor) preparations bore fruit:

A. The Firebomb he set up on the first floor went off. It’ll cover up any evidence you missed, and deny this asset to both the Red Sashes and the Lampblacks. The distraction will make your escape easier. Everyone will think it was caused by the fighting. Might kill a few people though. You’ll have plenty of time to escape.

B. The Firebomb he set on the roof went off. Still deny the asset of a drug den to both sides, but give people more time to flee. As you are on the third floor, you have a bit less time but still manageable. However, may cast suspicion on you as a fire starting from the roof a bit harder to explain away as from fighting.

C. Shut up Kelyir, you are not firebombing a perfectly good building WE ARE STILL INSIDE OF! Just make sure our exit point is secure. (But I would do that anyways, even with the bomb! And then the Lampblack’s will get the drug den!)

What do you decide?

2/9 stress for Marissa
2/5 load for you.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:53 am »

BA

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2020, 03:23:40 am »

AA
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2020, 01:11:47 pm »

AA
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:48:37 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2020, 01:46:36 pm »

What of the second option?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2020, 08:47:38 pm »

AA I do regret being unable to reason out a logical way to stop a gang war long enough for us to start a bidding war over who can pay us enough to own the place without us setting fire to it. We'd need two devices, one of which can be set off as a demonstration to prove we're not joking, and then another that would be capable of doing the whole building in for real should the two sides be unwilling to stop fighting OR unwilling to pay us for the privilege of us not burning down their building.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2020, 11:28:50 am »

Into the Fire Part 5

Marissa glances at you and raises an eyebrow.

You roll your eyes a bit, “Fine, but you’ll have to help carry her out of here.”

Harin breathes a sigh of relief, “Oh thank you!” The Crows lieutenant stumbles to his feet and over to Sari as you search the room.

Once you feel you have everything of value (and an unsure nod from Harin that you do when you ask), you go to the door to peek outside, and hear a muffled boom. Cries of Fire and shouts of fear fill the air as the small crowd that was hesitantly hanging near the stairs during the fighting now begin to rush down the stairs. A few were desperately trying to open the locked doors to the fire escape, but you (6) lead the group, Marissa carrying most of the weight of Sari, the Red Sashes’ fine black hair sticking to the Tycheros’s sweating face, with Harin offing a little physical support as his dazed eyes dart around. You make the way back to your original exit point. The air grows hotter and more oppressive as you make your way down the hallway. No one sees you.

With no real obstacles, you get to the room, the window facing the back of the building. You look out and see Kelyir below, standing on the rough cobblestone, his back to the dark canal, his face lit by shimmering flames. There is a small crowd of coughing patrons. He gives another look through the crowd and nods at you. All clear.

You unwind the rope you stashed in the room and toss down an end to him, and tie it to on of the legs of the heavy bedframe. The smoke begins to creep around the curtains. Marissa slides down the rope first. You send the Crow’s lieutenant down next. The three of them stand at the bottom and catch Sari as you drop her out the window. You breathe a sigh of relief as the rope slows your descent after her. That could have been messy if they missed.

You lay Sari on the pavement a short distance away. The Red Sashes officer groans and curls up a bit, a little underdressed for the cold air. Your (rescue, target, hostage?) tries to plead that you take her with you, but you refuse. She’ll probably be safe her in her territory, and you have a delivery to make. The Red Embrace, fully engulfed by the flames, casts a flickering torch for you and the rest of your gang as you slip into the night, heading in the direction of the large spire at the center of the district. The Crow’s Nest, headquarters and home of the Crows.

You have a decision to make now. Do you deliver all of the evidence to the Crows, or do you keep a bit to yourself?

A.  Yes, deliver all the evidence. It’s the best way to keep your involvement quiet and not anger the Lampblack’s or the Red Sashes.
 B. Keep the most incriminanting evidence of the Crow’s. The Lampblack’s might pay good money to have proof of the Crow’s playing favorites.

C. Keep the most useful information for your own score. (Gives a bonus to next score against the Lampblacks.)

D. Both B and C. Crows won’t be happy that you “didn’t recover” all evidence and might pay you less.

E. Something else?

A successful mission! Got both targets and a little extra in loot (3 Coins) Coins are larger units of currency, worth about a weeks wages. Next will be receiving your pay, and then we will move into Downtime where you’ll have a bit more freedom.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2020, 11:34:15 am »

A

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2020, 11:49:13 am »

A
Changed
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:49:00 am by King Zultan »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:22 pm »

E. Copy down evidence relating to Lampblacks or Red Sashes and whatnot that might be relevant to our own future escapades, but turn in all the original evidence, keeping copies for ourselves.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2020, 04:50:09 am »

E. Copy down evidence relating to Lampblacks or Red Sashes and whatnot that might be relevant to our own future escapades, but turn in all the original evidence, keeping copies for ourselves.
+1 This is better than mine.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2020, 09:12:09 am »

Into the Fire Conclusion

On the way to the Crow’s Nest, the tower at the center of the district of Crow’s Foot, you sign to Marissa to slip away and copy down as much of the notes as possible. She nods and turns into an alley. You and Kelyir, with Harin between you, walk in the diminished crowd. It is deep in the night, hard men and women walk on their way to work passing carousing toughs drinking their way to oblivion. You breathe deep and taste the ash and smog on the air, the cities’ breathe. It tastes of possibility and ambition.

You glance at Kelyir, his longer stride taking him a bit ahead. You can notice even from here the way his bright eyes dissect everything.

Marissa joins you as you come into the intersection which surrounded the Crow’s nest. A spire rising into the sky, rumor has it that it used to be a wizard’s tower, and the Crow’s were the caretaker’s and inheritor's once the wizard died. Personally you were inclined to believe it was an entirely mundane tower, and the Crow’s spread the rumor to increase their own prestige. But even you have to admit the Nest is an intimidating site, formed of pitted black stone. From personal experience you knew that it was still sharp enough to draw blood from uncovered skin. Surrounding the base is a brick warehouse, with an open ground floor and rooms above. Surrounding the ground floor is a wrought iron fence, with gates to the north and south.

Even at this hour, carriages ride to and from the tower, and when you walk to the main gate it is opened adroitly.  You spot Bell, the second command for the Crow’s, and march over to him.
    With a bow and a broad grin, you sweep your arm to indicate the abashed Harin, “Your wayward officer, delivered as promised.”

Bell’s face reflects none of the joy he must surely be feeling on the fulfillment of your charge. He is an imposing man, with large muscles and clean shaven head. He raises an eyebrow, “ And the papers?”

Marissa presents them without a single flourish, and hands without fanfare to Bell. He accepts them with a quick nod. He gestures to two thugs standing quietly by, and they roughly take Harin in hand. He turns back to you, “We will bring out your payment as agreed.”

“Ahh my dear Harin!” The woman’s voice, falsely sweet, send shivers down your spine. You look and see a woman, dressed in the well worn leather coat of the Crows, festered with pistols and blades. Her black hair is tied back into a ponytail, and blue eyes glittering with malice. She strides over to him over the cobblestones, his handlers maintaining their tight grip. She grips his face in her hands, he winces slightly at the pressure. “You cost us quite a bit getting you out of there. You owe me quite a bit now.” She slaps him, the crack echoing across the courtyard.

She turns to you then. You do your best to keep a friendly smile on your face. This is Lyssa, leader of the Crows. Rumored to have killed her predecessor, and seeing her in person, you are inclined to believe it. She returns a predatory grin. Oh you hope she doesn’t recognize you.
“So who might you be?” She asks.
“You may call me Lark, and we are the Conspiracy of Silence.”

Lyssa only nods a bit and meanders to the chest of coins that contains your pay. “That sounds new to me. Remember that good service is rewarded and,” she gestures at Harin being dragged into the tower, “inconsistent service is punished.”

She fishes out one coin, then another one. You feel the smile on your face freeze. Lyssa chuckles, “One coin for your. . . initiation fee, and another as part of your payout to us.” Her eyes flash, “Best not forget that every score you do, a part of that goes to us. Any problem with that?”

You hear Kelyir growl, but you respond before he can, “Yes, we . . . understand.” It is frowned upon to take a cut from the payment you are giving, but you are in no mood or position to argue about it now.

“Good! I’m sure I can expect a fruitful relationship to develop in the future.” With that she turns and walks back to the tower. Taking your payment in hand, you and your crew disappear into the darkness, back to your lair.

Now any Crew worth the name has a lair, where they can stash ill-gotten goods and plan their next heist. What is your Lair?

A. A half sunken grotto, accessed by underground canal.

B.  An old watchtower, abandoned ages ago.

C. A hidden room in maze of apartments.

D. Something else? Currently your Lair has the Traits Hidden and Quarters, meaning it is hard for enemies to find your lair, and you can sleep there protected. Currently your gang is Tier 0 so you don’t have many nice things, so just keep that in mind in making suggestions. Possible to get a bonus for cool suggestions.

Rewards!
Earned 6 (+2 stolen) coins and 4 Rep! 3 XP gained
2 Heat gained.

Next up, assisting in invention and planning the next score!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5