Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)  (Read 4749 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2020, 11:50:02 pm »

For organization's sake, have a votebox:

Quote from: Votebox
Group:
Shadows - Ghost Echoes: (3) Naturegirl1999, Kakaluncha, ConscriptFive
Assassins - Emberdeath: (1) Madman

Characters (PICK THREE)
Leech - Artificer: (3) Naturegirl1999 (??vote for leader?? listed first in NG's votes so...maybe?), Madman, Glass
Slide - Trust In Me: (1) Naturegirl1999
Slide - Cloak and Dagger: (1) ConscriptFive (??vote for leader??)
Lurk - The Devil’s Footsteps: (4) Naturegirl1999, Kakaluncha (??vote for leader??), Madman, Glass
Spider - Foresight: (2) Madman (vote for leader), Glass (vote for leader)

OK, here's the clear-as-mud votebox. Please indicate which character (if any) you'd like to be the leader, as C2 will be taking that into consideration when selecting the leader from the three characters who get the most votes. I've tentatively dropped in indicators for those who didn't indicate clear preference but please oh please change them to a definite selection or otherwise.

And vote for all three characters, please!

Thanks Madman! This helps make it clearer what is currently in the lead for building our crew! Currently I’m hesitant to declare a main character in the lead, but I’ll decide in ~12 hours.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2020, 11:54:59 pm »

A. D.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2020, 04:00:33 am »

Group:
Shadows - Ghost Echoes: (3) Naturegirl1999, Kakaluncha, ConscriptFive
Assassins - Emberdeath: (2) Madman, King Zultan

Characters (PICK THREE)
Leech - Artificer: (3) Naturegirl1999 (??vote for leader?? listed first in NG's votes so...maybe?), Madman, Glass, King Zultan
Slide - Trust In Me: (1) Naturegirl1999
Slide - Cloak and Dagger: (1) ConscriptFive (??vote for leader??)
Lurk - The Devil’s Footsteps: (4) Naturegirl1999, Kakaluncha (??vote for leader??), Madman, Glass, King Zultan
Spider - Foresight: (2) Madman (vote for leader), Glass (vote for leader), King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 12:25:45 pm »

INTO THE FIRE

You are Lark the Lurk, and you pounce to your feet as a door slams open and a bomb explodes on the first floor below you. A grin grows across your face as the crack of gunfire and sounds of battle erupt below.

Just as anticipated.

Marissa slides to her feet from the divan, tightening the belt you smuggled in from the open window. You are in one of the Red Sashes' drug dens, the Red Embrace, and it is obscenely luxurious by the standards of anyone living in Crow’s Foot, though it would unremarkable in Silkshore. Marissa had entered as a patron earlier, and got a room with a window for an easy entry. You cock an eyebrow at a engraved bone pipe gently smoking on the table, but beyond what you think is a faint glimmer in her black iris-less eyes, she doesn't respond and just gestures at the "door".

As shouts of anger and cries of fear penetrate the room, you peer outside the thick red curtain at the doorway. A crowd of inebriated, drugged, and panicking patrons stumble into the hallway, some frozen by indecision, and others rushing heedlessly into the battle below. The Red Sashes guarding your target’s doorway are gone, likely trying to help their allies in the fight below.

You nod to Marissa, and suppress a grin as she pockets the pipe and joins you. Taking a quick step into the crowd, you both jostle and maneuver your way through the crowd to the end of the hallway, where the thick curtains have been replaced with solid wooden doors. The sounds of fighting have quieted down some. You won’t have long until the Lampblack’s finish off the Red Sashes’ defenders. You stop outside the doorway. It’s locked, and you can probably pick it quickly, but it might be faster to just kick it in?

A. Pick the lock, it’s made to keep out drunks not professionals. Uses Finesse (1d6). Risky, Great Effect. (Uses your fine lockpicks, you will most likely get this lock open.)
(This is probably your best option, barr something unconventional, but you are only rolling a 1d6 without pushing yourself or some other aid.)

B. Kick open the door, you are trying to move quickly. Uses Wreck (0d, takes worst of 2 d6 rolls) Risky, Normal Effect. (Will make a lot of noise, but this isn’t a reinforced door.)

C.Something Else?

Do you use 1 of Marissa’s 2 Foresight uses to add 1d to your roll? If so, tell how she prepared you for this moment.

Do you take a Devil’s Bargain? I will give you another 1d6, but in exchange a Red Sashes guard will run upstairs and try to hold them off from there. He may see you if you don’t get the door open in time.
Instead of a Devil’s Bargain, you could also push yourself, taking two Stress and gain another 1d6. You can have assistance and either take a Devil's Bargain or Push yourself (so Marissa can give you +1 d, and you can give yourself another either by pushing yourself (cost 2 stress) OR Devil's Bargain (something I come up with).

You could also Flashback you show something you did to prepare or circumvent the situation, paying some amount of stress depending on the difficulty or unlikeliness of what you do in the Flashback.

Blades in the Dark has a lot of options to influence the situation and your rolls. Rolls work by taking the highest roll, and applying that to your situation.
1-3. Failure with a consequence.
4-5. You do it, but there’s a complication or consequence.
6. You do it.
2 or more 6s: You do it with a bonus.

Consequences are not good, but you can mitigate them by Resisting them, paying an amount of stress to reduce or eliminate the effect. (Example, if you got shot, you can Resist the damage, taking it from a level 3 harm to a level 2.) I’ll cover it in more detail if and when it comes up.

Let me know if you have any questions!

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:28:09 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 12:31:33 pm »

A. Pick the Lock

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2020, 03:27:03 pm »

A. Pick the Lock

While bursting in might be faster, and gives as the element of unexpectedness, it also may give us unwanted attention.
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2020, 06:35:30 pm »

Yep, A, quiet wins the game here.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2020, 10:05:37 pm »

Into the Fire Part 2

Spoiler: Roll (click to show/hide)

You fiddle with the lock. It puts up a bit more resistance than you expected but you almost got it ... suddenly the door swings open and a beautiful, disheveled woman freezes on the other side, knife in hand. She cries out in surprise and tries to slam the door in your face, but you shove her back and force your way into the room. She glares at you and readies her knife.

Consequence: 2/4 Discovery by Red Sash Guards/Lampblack attackers. (Another alarm will bring either guards or the Lampblack attackers to investigate.)

(RESIST: If you choose to resist, Sari still opens the door, but you and Marissa are able to press yourselves against the wall before you're noticed. Get an opportunity to quickly take her out or let her pass, and prevents the alarm clock rising. Costs 6 stress -3d (from your prowess rating)  to resist.)

You quickly glance around when you pursue who must only be Sari into the room, and see what must be one of your targets for the night, a drowsy man with a sharp black beard, wearing only a grey shirt on, and a black coat that the higher ranking Crow’s are known to wear.

The Crows are the gang running the district of Crow’s Foot, taking a cut of everyone’s business and carefully managing feuds so that profits flow and no one else grows as powerful. After the disappearance of the Crow’s leader, the Red Sashes, a school of Iruvian Swordmasters turned to running drug dens, and the Lampblacks, the remnants of the guild of lamplighters who lost their jobs to electric lights who turned to crime to make ends met, have plunged into war.

“The Crows are trying to mediate a peace, but that has been complicated by this bastard Harin. He’s one the officers, more trouble than he’s worth and sleeping with one of the Sashes, an officer named Sari. If that was all that’d be manageable, but the fool has been giving them information and coin too.” Bell leans forward on the table between you. He grimaces. “Now, the Lampblacks have gotten suspicious, and they told us they’re raiding one of the drug dens. They paid all their dues and gave us notice, so we can’t stop it lest we be accused of playing favorites. Thing is, this idiot Harin is there tonight, and if the Lampblacks get their hands on him, this whole profitable arrangement falls apart.”

Marissa raises an eyebrow, “So you need us to get him out?”

Bell shrugs, “That and any evidence of his involvement. I saw him grab a sheathe of papers.  I’ll give you 4 Coin for bringing back any evidence, and another 4 if you get Harin out of there.” He hesitates and lowers his voice. “If you can’t get him out, there’s two coin in it if you make sure he can’t talk. His fault for mixing business with pleasure.”

Harin flings himself at his coat when he sees you, and being rather intoxicated by (you sniff the air: Dream Smoke) rolls around rather pathetically on the ground.

What do you do?

A. Skirmish with Sari, draw your own knife and take her down (Skirmish 1d Desperate, standard effect) (Desperate options gives additional XP!)

B. Have Marissa brandish her pistol and Command Sari to drop her knife (Command 2d desperate, standard effect)

C. Something else?

OR if you RESIST and avoid her notice.

D. Knock out Sari as she passes through the door. (Prowl 3d Risky, standard effect)

E. Let her pass as you press yourself against the wall (2d fortune roll, will attempt to take her out if Sari notices you).

F. Something Else with Resisting?

Devil's Bargain: Sari will remember your face if she sees you.

(Lots of possible options here so I figure we will try to work out a votebox which might make complicated votes a bit easier. Just copy and paste the latest one with your vote included. At the bottom of every Score votebox I'll try to include an option for using a Devil's Bargain or having a teammate assist you.

(Plans/votes go here! I might include a choice to resist at the top, but in this case the suggestions are separated by the choice to resist consequences. )

Accept the Devil's Bargain? (+1d) Y/N
Push yourself? (+1d or increase in effect, allows you to perform near superhuman feat or positions foes to attack each other) Costs 2 stress. Y/N
(Push yourself and devil's bargain are mutally exclusive, but you can also have a teamate assist)
Teammate Assist? (+1d or increase in effect) Costs them 1 stress. Y/N and how do they assist you?

Spoiler: A Bit on Resisting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lark's Condition (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2020, 10:33:22 pm »

Resist: D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2020, 06:53:11 am »

Resist D
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:40 pm »

Into the Fire Part 3
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

RESISTED

The door opens, as soon as you feel it move you and Marissa press yourselves against the wall on opposite sides of the door. She pauses in the doorway, you hear a man say, rather sluggishly,
“I love you Sari. Be careful.” Sari doesn’t respond, just takes a deep breath and moves into the hallway, her knife ready.

And… now. You leap forward, wrap your arm around her throat and squeeze. She struggles, and almost stabs you in the arm but Marissa grabs her hand and twists the knife free, her eyes cold. Sari’s feet rattle against the floor, but after constant pressure and long seconds, Sari is unconscious. You drag her into the room, with Marissa stepping in and closing the door behind you.

Then you hear the cock of a pistol. Slowly you turn to look at your target, Harin, leaning against the wall, pistol in his lap pointing at you. You snarl, you’re trying to save this idiot’s life!

Marissa, the Void bless her, spoke first,

“Harin, you don’t know us, but Bell sent us to extract you. The Lampblacks are attacking and we don’t have much time-”

He aggressively points the pistol at Marissa, “ Who the fuck are you! And what’d you do to Sari, is she okay?” He starts off shouting, but his tone devolves into a plea at the end. 

Marissa glances at you, “She’s going to be fine, we just couldn’t let her see us. . .”

What do you do?

A. Just shoot him. You’ll still get paid 2 coin, plus 4 from getting evidence.

B. Talk him down. He’s still intoxicated, he’ll be more suggestable. Neither of you are very persuasive, however. (Sway 0d) Desperate, Great effect

C. Disarm him, then knock him out. Marissa has a vial of sleep essence, that’ll put him out. Rather dangerous for you though. (Skirmish 1d) Desperate, Great effect

D. Something Else? (Might be able to come up with a better option, or elaborate on how you convince him.

Devil’s Bargain: A guard rushes upstairs to get a better position or flee. He may see you. +1d

Feel free to ask questions if you need more details!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:43:15 pm by chubby2man »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2020, 01:35:45 pm »

What is meant by 0d? No roll?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2020, 01:46:20 pm »

Do we have any sort of recognition signal other than "[some guy] sent us"?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2020, 02:08:24 pm »

What is meant by 0d? No roll?

Good question! I use 0d to show that you have no points in that skill, so you roll 2 dice and take the lowest as your result. So you can still do it, you are just more likely to roll low. You can still Push yourself or take a devils bargain to get to 1d.

Do we have any sort of recognition signal other than "[some guy] sent us"?

That would make sense! I would call that a Flashback that costs 0 stress, since it’s not a huge leap to have a password of some sort. I’ll let you make it up, probably something to do with flying and crows or something.

-Just be aware that though he may recognize your signal, there’s a chance he will want to help or the Red Sashes or try to escape possible punishment.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:41:46 pm by chubby2man »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2020, 02:46:10 pm »

C
We’re better at this than swaying people
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5