Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)  (Read 4746 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)
« on: July 22, 2020, 05:02:05 pm »

Shadows and Fortunes: A “Blades in the Dark” SG

The world has been shrouded in darkness for a thousand years, ghosts and ancient terrors haunt the streets, and the powerful rule with an oppressive iron fist.

From the bottom looking up, what is there to lose if you don’t play by the rules?

Form a gang, commit daring Scores and heists, and get as far as you can as fast as you can, because time waits for no one (unless you’re a Ghost, Hull, or Vampire). You are someone with a will of steel and a flame of desire, one that won’t be satisfied by laboring in one of Duskvol’s towering factories.

Duskwall, an industrial heart of the Empire, where the refined blood of the Leviathans is brought in from by hunting ships. This blood is rendered into Plasm, the fuel that powers both the lights and the lightening walls that safeguard the city from the Death-Wastes beyond. Duskwall is crowded by hundreds of thousands, crowded and teeming in the overbuilt city. Canals run throughout, the arteries of life and commerce over inky stinking water, crossing underneath streets and bridges hugging layered buildings of brick and wood. The Bluecoats patrol in force regularly, taking their bribes and administering beatings  to enforce their order.

In this environment gangs have formed, exerting power and will where there is none. For times are as dark and desperate as ever, where men and women turn to vice and violence to deal with the demands of industry, roaming ghosts, and the lack of an actual sun.

And so, there is plenty of opportunity for you, if you are able to take it.

This will be an SG based on Blades in the Dark, where you control a new gang trying to make their way in a haunted combo of industrial London and Venice, where ghosts and mad science are a daily occurrence. At the heart of the game is committing Scores, which are heists that your gangs commit to earn Coin and Reputation, which fuel your up and coming criminal empire.

But first things first, what type of crew do you run? This influences the types of Scores you do, how your gang grows, and special abilities you may unlock.

A. Assassins: Killers for hire. You are why others fear the dark, and may even gain the power to slay ghosts.
    * Example Mission Types-Accidents, Disappearance, Murder, and Ransom.
    * You will get paid to kill people, and you are good at that!

B. Bravos: Mercenaries and thugs. You aren’t afraid to take things by force, and your gang will become adept at war.
    * Example Mission Types-Battle, Extortion, Sabotage, and Smash & Grab.
    * No one will expect you to be cunning and sneaky, you can punch jerks in the face and get away with it!

C. Cult: Acolytes of a forgotten god. You walk in the presence of your god, and may call upon their aid in the sun-forsaken streets.
    * Example Mission Types: Acquisition, Augury, Consecration, and Sacrifice.
    * Come up with your own dark god to worship, and maybe summon them! (Inversion, maybe your god isn’t dark at all… Acter??)

D. Shadows: Thieves and Spies. You will steal and take, and no one will even know you were there. A whispered rumor leaving only groans of despair among the rich and powerful.
    * Example Mission Types: Burglary, Espionage, Robbery, and Sabotage.
    * Basically the Thieves Guild, can be as nonviolent (or violent!) as you like!

We will also need a NAME for your crew. You can also mention any identifying marks, symbols, or traditions if you like.
Once there is some consensus on the crew type we will create our protagonist(s).

Spoiler: Playbooks (click to show/hide)

All credit and rights for the game system, setting are to John Harper and Blades in the Dark.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:27:03 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows and Fortunes (SG)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 05:02:23 pm »

WIP Character Sheets

Spoiler: Lark the Lurk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Marissa the Spider (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Kelyir the Leech (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:00:31 am by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 05:16:24 pm »

Shadows. This world only allows those who remain in the shadows to survive. And the name of our Guild should be... The Syndicate of Silence.

Regarding marks, symbols and traditions...

For traditions, I propose that all of our members have their mouths covered by red silk. All of our members speak in sign language, except the Upper Council, who are allowed to speak in whispers.

The members of the Syndicate of Silence are all trained to develop all their senses that aren't hearing (vision to mouth read and recall written information, smell to detect poisons, or any corpse, you get the memo)

Regarding the symbol of the Syndicate of Silence, it's a mouth being covered by the index silver, indicating...silence.

What is the goal of the Syndicate of Silence? Unlike what may seem from the setup, they actually represent the silenced, and wish to silence the voice of Opression, Lies, and Corruption, so that the silence of Liberty, Truth, and Morality may reign once more
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:36:21 pm by Kakaluncha »
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 05:32:56 pm »

Shadows. This world only allows those who remain in the shadows to survive. And the name of our Guild should be... The Syndicate of Silence.
+1

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 05:53:50 pm »

Hmn...
Shadows/Cult. We're the Gildstriders, followers of a nameless, faceless god, once of money and trade, now of worth and the unseen. All members wear a white ovoid mask, each differentiated by its own symbol that is the bearer's only name while conducting business.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 06:05:23 pm »

I would really like to be the Assassins and literally just be the Assassin Order from, y'know, Assassin's Creed.

Because I think it would be hilarious. Also, they do a lot of jobs including thievery and whatnot, since if you're already skilled at sneaking around (And the person you're robbing happens to be dead...), it's easy! Sort of.

Anyway.

EDIT: Well here's an actual proposal:
Assassins/Shadows, the Assassin Order, working to topple the oppressive regimes and replace them with a new government based fundamentally on reason and democracy, because, well, the present regime definitely doesn't have it and therefore despite the fact that everyone in the order is aware of the incredible stereotypicalness of their goals, they're pursuing them anyway. Since we can't always play divisive factions of the rich and powerful against each other (and therefore don't always get paid for our assassinations), we'll also steal their stuff when possible.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:23:12 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Rahx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 06:44:43 pm »

Bravo, PMC.

Commonwealth Protectorate

Ideally working with the local government and making higher profit and/or ongoing deals for more efficient development of the city or the company itself should the situation take a turn.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 07:06:33 pm »

I’m thinking a cult. Name and god pending

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 10:57:10 pm »

Okay Shadows has a decent edge, with Cult and Assassins just behind.
Shadows and Assassins are pretty similar, just with the focus on one being more on theiving and heists, while the other is more about eliminating targets. (Shadows can of course do assassinations, and Assassins can of course thieve, it’s more about what you would prefer your focus to be on!

Cults are one of the more different Crews, in that your mission types are more unorthodox and dealing with more supernatural matters. It’s just a different story!

We can do splits (like Shadow/Cult) just pick one to be the main type to get most of your crew advancements from.

We’ll make the main characters tomorrow, I figure the one with the most votes will be our “main” viewpoint character while 2nd and 3rd will be the other founding members of the gang.

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 12:44:25 am »

I really, really think we should go for Shadows, rather than Cults.

The thing about Shadows is that through blackmail and sabotage, we can become even stronger than any sort of preestablished system. You want to execute one of our members? Fine, say goodbye to your entire credibility once the public sees these photos we stole from your assets.

On the other hand, a cult is more likely to oppose the majority of the population. Maybe a bunch of weirdos might be interested, but it's not difficult to assume that dark gods may not be trendy.

Shadows have a chance to manipulate everyone into what's best for them, but Cult will force us to do a campaign of terror, and hope it's effective.
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 12:57:22 am »

I really, really think we should go for Shadows, rather than Cults.

The thing about Shadows is that through blackmail and sabotage, we can become even stronger than any sort of preestablished system. You want to execute one of our members? Fine, say goodbye to your entire credibility once the public sees these photos we stole from your assets.

On the other hand, a cult is more likely to oppose the majority of the population. Maybe a bunch of weirdos might be interested, but it's not difficult to assume that dark gods may not be trendy.

Shadows have a chance to manipulate everyone into what's best for them, but Cult will force us to do a campaign of terror, and hope it's effective.
Unless we do a cult of Acter. Which is a character I presume you aren't familiar with, but who has kinda become a byword for "benevolent and intelligent god" in the forum's godgame community.
And also is my character :p
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 03:31:29 am »

I say we go with Bravos and we call ourselves Johnny and the Bravos, and our leader's name should be Johnny Bravo.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 09:18:11 am »

Creating the Character

So we are going to start to make and vote on our main character! Most important thing to decide is our Character Playbooks. Now, any one can do anything in this system, from a Cutter lock picking to a Whisper brawling. This just determines starting stats, special abilities and how they advance. If there are 2-3 in the lead I may do a run-off vote with more details added.

Character Playbooks

A. Cutter: A dangerous and intimidating fighter. Starts with a fine variety of melee weapons! Subtypes: Captain, Thug, Destroyer, or Demon
Hunter.

B. Hound: A deadly sharpshooter and tracker. Comes with a trained pet!
Subtypes: Bounty Hunter, Deathlands Ranger, Sniper, Veteran.

C. Leech: A saboteur and technician. Good with creating new gadgets/potions.
Subtypes: Doctor, Sapper, Viper, Witch.

D. Lurk: A stealthy infiltrator and burglar. Comes with neat tools (like night-vision goggles!)
Subtypes: Acrobat, Assassin, Burglar, Daring Rogue

E. Slide: A subtle manipulator and spy. A social monster who can bend people to their whim with the right words.
Subtypes: The Siren, the Prestige, the Grifter, the Spy.

F. Spider: A devious mastermind. Build connections and conspiracies to your grand plan.
Subtypes: The Arbiter, the Conductor, the Convict, or the Operator.

G. Whisper: An arcane adept and channeler. A warden and wielder both of the arcane and demonic.
Subtypes: The Summoner, the Cultist, the Channeler, and the Dark Scholar.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Shadows are still in the lead, so keep that in mind when making the character sheet. If you want to just vote on a Playbook and don't care as much about the details of the character, feel free to do that! Also, I'm thinking top three character sheets will form the founders of the gang with the first place being the viewpoint character, so you can do ranked choice voting, and might not be a bad idea to make a support character. . .

Voting will probably last until sometime tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:17:00 am by chubby2man »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 09:27:50 am »

E. Lying, the solution to most of life's problems.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows and Fortunes (SG-Blades in the Dark)
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 10:08:29 am »

So I would suggest that, no matter what, we have a "Spider" type to, y'know, get us those sweet organizational bonuses. I'd recommend either having the main character be the Spider or having the main character being the one carrying out the plans, probably a "Lurk" or maybe a "Whisper". And of course I'd recommend having a "Leech" to become the tech guy.

And while trying this I have no idea what to go for with names or "vice" or background etc. etc. So, uh, anybody got any ideas for maybe a theme to draw names from?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5