Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven child moods, claims magma forge (and produces candy spear)  (Read 1681 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This used not to be possible, with kids producing various kinds of junk, as they don't have any "real" skills. This kid had some armor crafting skill (just after claiming the forge), which I assume was gained while randomly playing in the metal crafter guild hall (where I've seen various demonstrations being performed).
A great flavor thing, in my view (Still appropriately rare. I've probably had 50+ kids mood before this).

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven child moods, claims magma forge (and produces candy spear)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 07:49:34 am »

I wonder if playing with a toy mini-forge has anything to do with this?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 07:54:31 am »

I wonder if playing with a toy mini-forge has anything to do with this?

No, they've been around for a long time and don't grant exp.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 07:56:53 am »

huh, this looks like it needs testing, I personally don't recall anything beforehand but we just got guild demonstrations in 47.0x

it is known that children can watch and produce performances and such, so playing in a guildhall and automatically learning if there is a demonstration inside does sound plausible

!!science!! is required!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:18 pm »

Oh that's cool. Child RandomcrapCrafter moods are one of the times I usually type "die" into dfhack. It's nice if there's a way to mitigate that!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 02:39:42 pm »

Time to put the toy stockpile in the metalsmith guildhall.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 03:33:46 am »

Time to put the toy stockpile in the metalsmith guildhall.
That won't work. Kids go and grab a toy from wherever it happens to be and then bring it to the location where they were when they decided to play with it (unless you prevent it, it's not unusual for that place to be on top of the goblin corpse from which the kid grabbed a slightly used, blood soaked set of underwear). Toy stockpiles thus are about as useless as mug stockpiles are.

My fortress kids have a tendency to play in the junk clothing stockpile (clothing for sale to the caravans) and on the food stockpiles.

Thus, you'd have to place the metalsmith guildhall on top of stockpiles of interest to attract more kids (they are attracted to social activities to some extent, which I guess is why they ended up there in the first place).

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:15:24 am »

Or just use a little creativity with burrows. I have a daycare burrow that restricts kids to an inner room with food, a well, beds, and a toy stockpile. It usually keeps them put pretty well, so all I'd need to do is have the daycare room double as a guild hall.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 11:27:03 am »

Put it in the dining hall. Everybody's got to eat.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 11:22:49 am »

But why would the armour crafting skill be related to making a weapon? Did the kid get the weaponsmith XP after the mood (assuming it wasn't a possession)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 05:47:31 pm »

Lvl 16 in weapon crafting. If I remember correctly, there were some ability in more than one metal crafting related skill. I believe I wrote the post at the time the kid claimed the forge, and finished it after seeing the result, without rechecking the skill used to claim the forge. Currently the kid has 3 in furnace operation and 1 in armor crafting.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 07:17:35 pm »

Kid can born with one of skills.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 08:16:00 pm »

That won't work. Kids go and grab a toy from wherever it happens to be and then bring it to the location where they were when they decided to play with it (unless you prevent it, it's not unusual for that place to be on top of the goblin corpse from which the kid grabbed a slightly used, blood soaked set of underwear). Toy stockpiles thus are about as useless as mug stockpiles are.

What's the deal with mugs?  I always try to put one in taverns but I still see dwarves upset that they drank without a mug even though they were literally drinking right next to a pile of mugs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 02:07:30 am »

What's the deal with mugs?  I always try to put one in taverns but I still see dwarves upset that they drank without a mug even though they were literally drinking right next to a pile of mugs.
If that "pile of mugs" is the mugs assigned to the tavern (and stored in a container) the complaint makes sense, because those mugs are not available to patrons, but are reserved for the tavern staff for usage when pushing booze down patrons' throats.

If it's an actual stockpile there shouldn't be an issue unless all mugs are tasked for hauling back to the mug stockpile after having been dropped on top of the booze stockpile (and the mug stockpile thus is empty).

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 08:16:41 am »

If that "pile of mugs" is the mugs assigned to the tavern (and stored in a container) the complaint makes sense, because those mugs are not available to patrons, but are reserved for the tavern staff for usage when pushing booze down patrons' throats.

If it's an actual stockpile there shouldn't be an issue unless all mugs are tasked for hauling back to the mug stockpile after having been dropped on top of the booze stockpile (and the mug stockpile thus is empty).

I usually have both.  I build a couple chests in activity zones that require some object and then set up a separate stockpile for that particular object, too.  It isn't that I really understand the mechanics, just that there's so much weirdness about these things that a redundant approach seems to satisfy needs.