Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make Demons Randomly Carry An Item That Allows Temporarily Slade Neutralization  (Read 1196 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile

Since there is an ongoing issue with underworld spires actively randomizing they're layout to prevent player from returning to the surface via the spire I was wandering on an alternate solution to return back in adventure mode without ever playing in dwarf fortress mode since some people prefer to play only adventure. You know, this issue has so many years of existance.

That item would have one time use only and would turn all nearby slade into surprisngly low density gas form in a very short range of about one tile. The slade would be dematerialized for I think 50 thicks would be enough than it would return to it's initial state. It also won't work if there is alive demon nearby as they're presence is bugging the device. The device is made of divine material.

The slade upon returning to it's initial form won't be any different from it's previous form before using the device since all particles return to it's positions before the device was used. It is possible to die due to being crushed by this process.

If two of those devices will be close to each other for some rason for about one tile they would both get destroyed so no stacking.

There is no lore explaination for this item so for now you can create your own intuitive theories. As you can see, there is one hint.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Better will be transforming player character into ghost. But ghost cannot move into walls if have items in inventory.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Seems too gamey to me. Would prefer just fixing whatever issue you're talking about.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems too gamey to me. Would prefer just fixing whatever issue you're talking about.

That issue haven't been solved for years. Maybe developers won't do anything about it, so I'm posting alternate solution.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Better will be transforming player character into ghost. But ghost cannot move into walls if have items in inventory.

That's the point and the issue is underworld spires randomizing they're layout after entering underworld and walking away from them. The entrance to the spire would vanish and the player becomes stuck.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:08:20 pm by rico6822 »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's the point and the issue is underworld spires randomizing they're layout after entering underworld and walking away from them. The entrance to the spire would vanish and the player becomes stuck.
Whats about allowing fast travel from this site after do some things in it? Without adding this strange item of slade mutilating.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

That issue haven't been solved for years. Maybe developers won't do anything about it, so I'm posting alternate solution.

An alternate solution is less likely to happen than the straightforward fix, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

The way Toady works on the game, sometimes bugs aren't solved for a very long time. They'll get to them though, this last update-cycle had bugs fixed that were first reported in 2014. I assume this bug has been put off because of the map rewrite, that has been expected to happen "soon" the last few years. When he gets to the map rewrite (and now it actually seems close i.e. within 2-3 years) it ought to be looked at.

In any case, the solution for a bug isn't to work around it, but to fix it.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If my solution with the device is not to be implemented than I think we should figure out in the first place what causes the bug.

I think this might be happening because the game doesn't take an account when coming back to the spire while being in the underworld that the player had already accessed it from the outside. This causes a one-time re-randomization of the spire's layout.

This might be fixed by making the spire not randomizing itself by checking if the player haven't already visited the spire in the past the other way. If randomized spire doesn't contain underworld stairs and entrance leading to it's outside from the side of the underworld than it should be rejected and randomize again. The game should also check if the doors aren't blocked by a natural wall of slade that is not a part of the building.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If my solution with the device is not to be implemented than I think we should figure out in the first place what causes the bug.

I think this might be happening because the game doesn't take an account when coming back to the spire while being in the underworld that the player had already accessed it from the outside. This causes a one-time re-randomization of the spire's layout.

This might be fixed by making the spire not randomizing itself by checking if the player haven't already visited the spire in the past the other way. If randomized spire doesn't contain underworld stairs and entrance leading to it's outside from the side of the underworld than it should be rejected and randomize again. The game should also check if the doors aren't blocked by a natural wall of slade that is not a part of the building.
I suspect it'll be a lot easier for the person with the game code to figure this out and fix it than random internet people (even with Dfhack). It's on the tracker, it'll likely be part of the map rewrite. Just leave it be.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly it's best just to ignore the bugs or figure out ways to exploit them for fun and profit. Any bug which doesn't get fixed in the first few weeks after a major release is probably going to exist until that entire section of the game engine gets rewritten. Some of the more obnoxious ones might get fixed for the Steam release, but even that is far from certain.

Some bugs even stick around so long that they become well-documented techniques used by almost every player. Just look at things like atom-smashers, diagonal water pressure reducers, and map-edge drains in fortress mode.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile

I would like slade gear to pop out of FB corpses, like gizzard stones. A dead knight in slade armor has got to be hard to digest.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.