Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead King, game is stuck, now what??  (Read 2466 times)

Spleen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dead King, game is stuck, now what??
« on: July 05, 2020, 11:19:05 pm »

I had a massive fortress with a king going when I quit around 2017ish. I wanted to get back into it and loaded the new version (44.12 to 47.04) and moved my world over.

When I opened my old save, it was clear why I had quit! a GCS had gotten loose from my web farm, a forgotten beast had gotten up from a hole in the floor (when you chop down a mushroom and it leaves that opening - ugh!) and I had the game paused with 230 dwarves and a bunch of madness about to ensue.

I thought rather than rebuilding from scratch trying to save this disaster might be !fun so I let nature take its course. Got down to 39 dwarves before things got steady. Got everyone buried, got food and production sorted out, cleaned up...

Then I notice my king is dead, and all the nobles are gone and off the N screen. The king was placed in his tomb (although he was listed as peasant on the tomb) so I know he actually died, it didnt seem like the nobles died because their tombs were unused, but they were off the N screen. However, I seem to still be the mountainhome because I can't offer any goods to dwarven caravans.

Once I am over 140 will a new king be chosen?

Is there some screen that will show me who the leaders are in this newer version? I couldnt see it

I tried retiring the fortress and reclaiming but yikes, it rips up all the furniture and everything in bins/barrels is gone, stockpiles are broken and would take me 3 real days to sort through and reorganize so I went back.

Conor891

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead King, game is stuck, now what??
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 01:22:05 am »

I've been interested myself lately on how the game creates new kings in fortress mode since I can't find much info on it.

If your king died and he had any heirs which is likely the case one of them should instantly become the new king. A lot of time the king doesn't even live in the capitol and they mostly seem to stay where they are when they receive the title according to legends. The king can a lot of times live in some random hillocks because of this. If citizens in your fort suddenly become barons of some random settlements this means that their parent who was the former baron died much in the same way basically.

If there is no heir I think at some point the outpost liaison might ask you to elect a king.

What I would do is through retirement or dfhack look at legends to see who is now the current king after your former's death, then try to meet the requirements for the king again in your unretired fort or a new one. I know that the requirements for becoming the capitol are the accumulation of different wealth and population but the big deciding factor is offering goods as a gift to your own civ's caravan. This is the only one that won't happen naturally through normal game play unless you trigger it specifically. Try using legends viewer. It is a program that comes with the starter pack if you have it and it organizes legends in such a way that I can't even imagine using the games built in legends mode anymore.

The thing I'm not sure of is whether the game only checks once and sends the king once when these are met, or if it knows to keep checking if the king is at that fort and to send the new one if he's not. If the former is the case, then you would probably need to retire and unretire the fort or make a new one and meet the capitol requirements again unless the heir is already in the fort.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 01:25:06 am by Conor891 »

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 01:33:57 am »

If you export legends, you can find out who the new king is for your civ. The designation is probably immediate.

Spleen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 02:06:48 am »

I will dig around legends (been meaning to anyway)

One of the reasons I think it still thinks I should have a king is because I am not able to offer things when traders come. So I dont think there's a distant king

I havent gotten back up to the 140 pop yet (do mercs performers etc count once they are perm residents?) so that may be some kind of requirement. I am getting close though. I am still getting migrants

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 03:34:16 am »

- A new king should be elected as soon as the old one dies.
- The civ-civ screen shows the important leaders of civs, including your dwarven one, when you expand it.
- As mentioned, the king doesn't have to live in the mountainhome.
- I suspect that once you're the mountainhome you can't become the mountainhome again, and thus can't attract the current king to your fortress. That's not supported by any evidence, though.
- I don't believe residents count, but they do once they're citizens (i.e. after the second petition). Mercs don't petition a second time, but performers and scholars do.
- The criteria for becoming the mountainhome have changed significantly. It's now more based on holdings than the old criteria, but I don't know the specific. The wiki might have been updated.

Spleen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 12:31:50 am »

I checked into legends and found that there IS a new king, he is somewhere else. Kind of a bummer.

I will keep on trucking and see if I cant get some nobles to show up. It's been years since I started a new game but I am pretty sure barons and stuff start popping in before kings etc.

I also have a suspicion the king wont move again. I wonder how we determine a real answer to that?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 10:05:16 am »

Play long enough and a king will be in your fort eventually.

Wonder if it's plausible to engineer the demise of sites in the hopes of the king dying...
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Spleen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 12:28:51 pm »

So you think the nobles will all come at once when a King moves here? Because I have astronomical import/export numbers.

So the reason I cant offer goods is because I am the capital, but the King just lives elsewhere. Is that normal?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 06:22:37 pm »

Cannot request him with Messenger?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Spleen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 07:00:26 pm »

I dont know what a messenger is so I will have to check this out!

Spleen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 07:11:42 pm »

Cannot request him with Messenger?

OK digging through this new C screen. I cant raid my own civilization. I know what city he is in from legends but unsure of how to request

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 10:47:15 pm »

Maybe thats not an option. Just looked at my mtnhome, Ive no king, and no migrants to send messenger to get, either.

You could leave that mtnhome, possibly. Splinter off.  Would attacking their caravan repeatedly turn them red?

I just found out, repeatedly killing visitors, turns their sites red.

Then a raid to flip King's site, if you become their enemy, may cause the victorious Militia Captain to behead the king.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 07:06:08 am »

Maybe thats not an option. Just looked at my mtnhome, Ive no king, and no migrants to send messenger to get, either.

You could leave that mtnhome, possibly. Splinter off.  Would attacking their caravan repeatedly turn them red?

I just found out, repeatedly killing visitors, turns their sites red.

I'm not sure if this has been made more reliable but some civilizations seem nearly impossible to antagonize.  I have on occasion tried for years to start a war with elves by murdering their diplomats, robbing their traders and even agreeing to tree cutting limits and then deliberately cutting down every tree on the map then trying to sell them the wood.

Other times it seems like they're on a hair trigger and the slightest thing sets them off.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 11:32:12 am »

I'm not sure if this has been made more reliable but some civilizations seem nearly impossible to antagonize.  I have on occasion tried for years to start a war with elves by murdering their diplomats, robbing their traders and even agreeing to tree cutting limits and then deliberately cutting down every tree on the map then trying to sell them the wood.
Try sending a mission to raid one of their sites.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 05:10:59 pm »

Ya.

47.04 is strange. I've an alliance with a civ, with a red donut. Hmpf?!

Maybe it'll be fixed in the intrigue patch.

Its wierd seeing a red donut, instead of green, around an ally map icon.

Looked on map key. No help there.

Maybe in next yr's rumor update, alliance will switch to war.