Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game  (Read 23629 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2021, 12:40:18 am »

I started with level 5 dealerships so that might have effected the pre-order number. Not sure how it works.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2021, 12:36:46 pm »

Wayyyy late but I have a video from the last Automation Live competition! Link is here. I'm planning to do another one sometime soon.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2021, 05:18:14 pm »

Everyone seems to be driving better on a tougher course.  Good job everyone!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2021, 10:24:32 pm »

I found this on the Steam forums for Automation, I thought I'd post it here since there are some Beam drivers

CNCharger has Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game Feb 15 @ 8:26pm
Truck Wrestling
Whatever mod Neilogical is using for multiplayer seems perfectly stable now, but I have some some more ideas for automation esports aside from LMP:
Rally Racing
Formula One
Offroad Racing
And the title sake, Truck Wrestling. 1v1, super powerful full size pickups, ramming eachother at full throttle till one either gets pushed off or the engine fails.

YouTube™ Video: 12 Person BeamNG MULTIPLAYER DEATH PIT Demolition Derby! Craziest Derby EVER - BeamMP
Views: 45,142

https://youtu.be/WiUQa5PMCc8

EDIT: I learned on accident youtube plays through Steam, that's the link from the video's share link so hopefully it works.

I should mention I'm the guy who when I played old NASCAR games on the playstation 1 or other consoles of the era, that I much preferred driving the wrong way and attempting to crash into the other cars.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:26:36 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2021, 07:27:45 pm »

I've made a campaign video! I tried to play with the maximum score multiplier/difficulty and, spoilers, it doesn't go well. But, I'll be making another attempt at it. I'll probably just resurrect my existing Let's Play thread in the Play With your Buddies forum for commentary.

In other news, V4.1 is officially moved to stable! This means V4.2 begins development. This was announced a little bit ago, and there's a big video detailing what features are to come. Besides ongoing major campaign changes, highlights are completely revamped turbos and air intakes!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2021, 10:37:44 am »

There's another dev update, this time with feature creep! This is the last update that will break compatibility with old cars ( :( ) so they're making some fundamental changes to the way the engine designer works, with regard to fuel types, valve train tuning, and some general internal calculations. This is all just in preparation for the big turbo revamp, so no more information on that yet.

The Let's Play is going on again too, in a Play With Your Buddies thread which I'll link since I don't think anybody looks in that subforum any more.

I've continued messing with BeamMP and KissMP, and I still can't get as consistent performance as the guy in that video Duuvian linked, which bothers me. But, my main problem might be that most of my users are European! lol

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2021, 12:51:22 pm »

Let me know when you got another race.  They're fairly entertaining, and your drivers seem to be improving.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2021, 07:02:04 pm »

The next race is happening this Friday, it's all hosted on the Automation forums though. I currently have a video of the most recent one which I still need to edit, though. I haven't been linking all of the races here so if you haven't seen it, the latest event is #4: FWD Shootout.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2021, 02:46:19 pm »

Let me know when you got another race.  They're fairly entertaining, and your drivers seem to be improving.

Here it is: Event #5, Touge Italia

No real Automation news to share this time, but, I thought I'd post my video here.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2021, 08:43:30 pm »

Another game update preview today! V4.2 is a while out but there's big interface changes coming I'm looking forward to.

I've also got more videos up on my channel. Since I linked it a few times recently I'll let people click through to that if they're looking for it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2021, 10:37:57 pm »

Very nice. One thing I'd enjoy is being able to import Campaign designs back into a future Campaign. I get that with the tech unlocks this might be difficult, but I'd love if I could at least import a basic tech starting 1946 design. I like designing cars but I also restart the Campaign very often with new versions coming out, or to test something that I don't know how it works, so I've made the same dang vans or mini cars like 20 times already.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2021, 02:31:48 am »

There is an alpha for v.4.2 out on Steam. It's in the betas section when you right click the game title in library and choose properties.

EDIT: The campaign is disabled for this alpha test but you can try out the new car designer stuff. There are turbochargers and also you can do aesthetic things like this now:

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)

If you use mousewheel to scroll on the sliders you can go push past the limits. I tried to see what happens if you keep scrolling on the elevate back and front ends in opposite directions hoping it would flip the car over for a sort of of high lifted suspension undercabin design but it can only rotate a certain amount before it hits a limit and starts rising or lowering instead. Plus the wheels seperate.

If you invert the width of the tires without any camber long enough it sort of looks like a steamroller from the front but not well enough to screenshot.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 04:31:42 am by Duuvian »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2023, 02:12:59 am »

Playing around with the updated campaign, I find that research is super powerful. Plus advertising, of course.

Picking a start where you boost starting research seems to be worth more cars that the multiplier might suggest.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2023, 04:04:36 am »

Neat, I might try that next time. I was struggling to find a way to do a $0 and no factories or land start. Maybe selling a car model with a body and gubbins from the future will get enough pre-orders to not collapse (after designing the car and going bankrupt the first month) The previous patch reduced the way I was building the company in previous versions, so the save game I just checked had nothing in research, probably so I could lower the engineering time slider and whatever dealerships I can afford with the $0 and 0 factories start at 100x difficulty. I found dealerships to be crucial to not going bankrupt building the first tiny factory on the land plot. Not starting with factories and plots gives a ton of points; tiny or small plot for car factory gives some collateral to use for the loan; the small plot was how I got it to work. You'll need hefty pre-orders to not go in the red so far that the company goes bankrupt. To start with no plots or factories to go against the loan to build the first factory you'd need some magnificient vehicle that collects pre-orders at a rate far higher than what I've tried cobbling together.

Anything you set the starting research to, in order to have things unlocked for the first car? I like automatic transmission at I think 3 or 4 points in that research, the auto transmissions seem to score higher in everything for the same gears. I didn't make it to auto in my last game (was trying to craft a vehicle at 100x score before I found a method) so I don't know if that's true in this version or not, I recall something about manual shift having a plus side now other than being slightly cheaper all around.

I also like 9 in body tech because there is a sweet minicar there, though I think another one was added some years earlier from that which is actually even smaller if I remember correctly.

That's pretty neat because the standard 1000cc 3-cyl design I go for works really well for minicars, and if I start with aluminum pieces on the first engine I can actually build them with contractors for some really lightweight Fun or City hatchbacks. That allows some really light weight cars, though the engines get too expensive at alluminum DOHC-4 to be profitable using contractor engines; I usually do cast iron DOHC-2 now. DAOHC is cheaper but my vans are usually red underpowered with them IIRC; at least until they shed some weight from tech improvements or the engine design improves. Also if you can get your engineering time on the engine set to 7 months that is when the tiny car factory will complete, so with DOHC-2 it can be a small cheap engine that can still power big vehicles not looking at top speed with a few more points in the engy sliders than DOHC-4 with aluminum .

If you start with tiny or no car factory here's a good tip I think: Heavy Delivery  market (at least in Archaea or however that is spelled) with level 5 dealerships sells around what 1 tiny factory can produce at $7.5-10k depending on sliders and markets pretty reliably if there isn't a mistake somewhere. That's not so much in volume but the average customer price is around $8.5k per vehicle AND there is very limited competition, so it makes a good choice imo for the first tiny factory in an Archeae start to make the 1946 van. A downside is Dahlua has different fuel than Archeae so you'll need an engine copy with the correct fuel type to sell there. They don't like H. Delivery like Archeae does though so I don't think I'd bother making a van for Dahlua alone, but things like leaded gas engine trims works until the fuels become more evenly spread. Unlike different models, different fuel engine trims can be assigned to the same factory though I'm not sure if they will produce engines equally or if they will weight production towards the trim in higher demand.

If the van isn't utter garbage it's one of the few things that you can over produce on much farther than you would on most cars and continue selling it for few decades until it's too undesirable to sell at a profit or the fuel standards change. It's super easy to make an ultra desirable van compared to other vehicles, because the characteristics sought are cheap and easy. I use the 1946 van that has just massive cargo capacity. I morph it to be as long as possible (I can't remember if this increases capacity), turn all the sliders except the first one that can't be changed later (that I put at +1 or +2) down to -7 or so, all the stuff that gives + cargo capacity; 10 inch tires, skid plate, and manual locker for offroad; a tiny 1000cc 3 cylinder powers this giant van. While top speed varies with sliders and such, the vans usually end up with a top speed of 30 to 50mph.

The vans top speed range from 30-60mph depending on whether I make them DAOHC, DOHC-2 or -4. If I do DOHC-2 or better and it's set more towards high power rather than efficiency settings the van is yellow underpowered rather than red underpowered. Eventually as engine tech improves you can make the engine more and more efficient and still power the van at yellow underpowered.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Some years later I do a facelift and increase the quality sliders to 0 or +1 or whatever from the first run's -7s, lower the price on the previous model below the replacement at full price. In my last lengthy campaign I was selling 4 model years of the same van at once; the oldest was not being sold for a profit but for more than scrapping while the 3rd oldest sold at production cost and the 2nd somewhere between 3 and 1. That was a few versions ago and I probably was advertising for H. Delivery to some extent. Eventually I made another tiny or upgrade the original to a small car factory, and overproduced the vans for a while before I wrapped up production when the '46 van body just wasn't going to last for another face lift and I retooled one of the factories to make a '60s or early '70s body van. The last stocks for the later models '46s took years to sell but they did eventually; just remember to slash price before the desirability is too low that you won't have time to sell them off.

To show an example, here is my initial production run van in 1947. The thing to note is that the van trim has -10 in all sliders except safety (at -3 safety slider the trim is at 10 safety score because it's still a big van; the 10 safety scoreallows me to continue selling these once safety standards increase from 0 to 10 at some point)
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 07:04:00 am by Duuvian »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2023, 11:46:44 am »

Tiny factory IS A TRAP.
It's the same plot of land as a small factory, it costs only slightly less to build, and the cars cost too much more to make it worthwhile.
I haven't much experience with the 100x scenario of no cash, no land, no reason the bank should even lend you the money.
Probably my only advise is go with the longest repayment period possible.  Your preorders will have to cover the shortfall between the what the factory costs and what the bank will lend you.  Thankfully, the factory IS collateral, so you might just be able to squeak out a second loan before bankruptcy.

And totally advertise at least a tiny bit.  It's quite cheap, and quite a powerful multiplier.

Maybe selling a car model with a body and gubbins from the future will get enough pre-orders to not collapse (after designing the car and going bankrupt the first month)

That might just work.  I found my future cars sold quite well, especially on the pre-orders.  Even if the rest of the car is crap, presumably your competitors will at least buy it to reverse-engineer your Automatic Transmission or whatever advanced component you DO have.

Also: DO NOT BUILD AN ENGINE FACTORY. You can't afford that 20-40 million Iron Furnace.  You can contract out an engine factory.  Just be careful: The cost of manufacture tends to skyrocket for engines build by contract.  Go with something relatively cheap and easy.  Automation is a waste for the design, since you can't control the settings of the contract factory.  But do try to make it cheaper.  Also, you can mostly treat reliability as your dump stat for luxury first time vehicles.  I try to keep it around 40, but I think you can probably get away with as low as 30.  Disposable engines!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8