Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something Weird  (Read 950 times)

Urist McBaywatcher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Something Weird
« on: June 25, 2020, 05:34:59 am »

Something weird is going on not sure if it's a bug or not (If its a known bug im sorry) but all dwarves have atleast a competency in a martial skill atleast in my fort, like no joke. Every single dwarf in my fort has atleast a competency in a weapon skill, even new migrants nothing has happened for them to be able to get these skills. New migrants come and they literally all have atleast a competency in weapon skills. Is this a bug or?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Something Weird
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:00:49 am »

This seems to be the new normal.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:43:47 am »

It depends on your world history more than anything else, I think.  This can cause your dwarves to have certain skill sets. I thought some versions back there was something about having a more common occurrence of military skillls but I don't recall.  My last world which ran from March 2020 to June 2020 before it fell to a goblin lead but dwarf army seige and a loyalty collapse had no dwarves with martial skills, or any other skills really other than my initial 7 embark they all migrated with animal caring and plant gathering.  I had to increase any desired skill manually.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:51:00 am »

There are two sources of migrants:
- "Normal": Histfig dorfs from your civ migrate to your fortress. They have whatever skills their previous life has given them, as KevinM said. If your migrants mostly come from a fortress that's spent the last 200 years repelling goblin invasions there's probably a good chance they'll all have decent fighting skills (and if they come from your previous fortress they come with the skills developed under your leadership).
- "Backup": If there are no available histfig dorfs DF generates void dorfs that have no parents (except void kids that migrate together with their parent [usually single]) and no history. Apart from the starting 7, they have rather unimpressive random skills.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 11:48:55 am »

I also seem to get more citizens and visitors with fighting skills if they or their civilization values martial prowess or physical endeavors.
No science to back that up, just random observation.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.