Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 65205 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon 2
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2020, 08:05:53 am »

I just noticed that all the animal heads on the front of our zoo sign have corresponding bodies on the back of our zoo sign. I'm not sure how I feel about having a collection of animal butts for our visitors' final impression.

I like flamingos, however,
It will add some color to our zoo, be our first bird,
the male peafowl spreads his tail fan and gives you a contemptuous *squaw-awk*.

For multi-animal exhibits, it looks like desert can combine 3 species for us right now: dromedaries, oryxes, and desert tortoises.
Other environments (savannah, jungle) may do bigger collections eventually but aren't unlocked yet.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2020, 09:07:20 am »

There are swamp things that aren’t Shrek, Will-o-wisps often occur in swamps, though they’re more more of a phenomena not a creature

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2020, 12:14:05 am »

I looked around, but I don't see any Shrek mods. Paranoia does have the ability to place Will-o-wisps that wander around our zoo, so we'll make sure to pick up some of those later.

Short update for today. I didn't get everything done, but I think we need to focus on getting the lab for now if we're going to get that killer penguin. I'll keep the other suggestions in mind for after we build it.

Baby animals

August-October, Year One.

First, I took a challenge to boost our fame. I probably shouldn't have, since it slowed getting your suggestions done, but it'll help us in the long run.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Before completing it, we reached 1-1/2 stars, unlocking new animals and a few more scenery objects.

Per Naturegirl's request, a flock of will-o-the-wisps has been released into the Gardens. We should see them around in the background from time to time.

A detail I appreciate in this game is that guests buy souvenirs based on the animals they've seen. For example, these kids have an African buffalo hip pack and a peacock backpack.

Zultan's graveyard-ATM near singlehandedly won us the entertainment challenge.

Near the end though, our growing guest numbers forced us to add a new fountain to keep them happy. Only so many people can applaud the graves at once, after all.

4/5 allowed guests reached critical boredom levels, but we barely made it over the line and were rewarded with a permanent boost to zoo fame.

Something this game improves upon in comparison to the original is that it's much more clear what goes into our rating. There's a chart in the menus.

At this point, every species in the park has had babies.

At 10 months in, our first animal has died of old age.

I was disappointed by how our "swamp" had so little mud and plant life, so I ran the biome brush tool over it.

I think our zoo looks more like an actual swamp now.

We have the profit rates to allow it and it was getting a bit difficult to do all the work myself, so we've hired our first two staff members.

While we wait to attract Mr. Cobblepot's attention, our guests were complaining about the lack of desserts. We've added a popcorn cart to tide them over.

A duck flies through the skies of our swamp.

Zoo fame:1-1/2 stars.
Spoiler: Zoo map (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2020, 03:23:56 am »

STOP, zebra time.

Also I think it is time to build a play ground and surround it by the most dangerous looking crap we can, so we can get an award for most law suits.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2020, 12:50:12 am »

Killer Penguin

October-February, Year One and Two.

Last push toward getting that penguin. We've reached two stars and earned more unlocks.

Along with the boost to fame, we now have an upgraded zoo gate. We'll get a new gate for every full star, and if we ever get a million dollars.

Our collection of animal butts has been replaced by a more appropriate, albeit less funny, goodbye.

Since we now have the ice cream cart, I've replaced our popcorn cart with Mr. Cobblepot's Confectionaries. A mechanical monkey points a hose of snow at visitors.

We completed a quick challenge to boost our fame by taking pictures of guests drinking soda and sitting on a bench for a PR flyer.

The Animal Hygiene Association is back, offering us money for keeping our animals clean.

Our first-generation African buffaloes have died, so we bought a new one to keep the bloodline of their young going.

We've upgraded our restrooms with our new family-sized models. It should be a long time before we have any more complaints on that.

Just wanted to give credit to the Crocodylia modders here. Even though it's a small modpack, and the animals themselves are so tiny you can barely see them without the camera's zoom feature, they took the time to give baby dwarf crocodiles a unique model.

Our guests are enjoying the Gardens!

Going into the end of our first year, we won the challenge and earned the $4,550 prize. With that and the money we had recently accumulated, we were now over $11,000. Our profit has skyrocketed in the past couple months.

With that, we were finally able to afford our Extinct Research lab. No reason to give our guests access, so we built out at the far end of the swamp.

Our killer penguin will be acquired by deliberately failing the prehistoric animal creation process, so I think this is a good time to show the minigame.

With the lab, we can now enter a fossil-hunting mode. This gives us a metal detector-esque gun that finds fossils underground.

Each fossil is in several pieces, and sometimes we get a joke item instead of a fossil. The block of ice had apples in it, so we gave it to the bongos as a treat.

After we gather all the bones for a particular species, we assemble it in a quick jigsaw puzzle.

Then there's a quick time event in the genetics lab, where we have to hit arrow keys and clicks in the right pattern. Later on more and more of the prompts are blacked out, turning it into a memory challenge.

When we fail, one of several joke animals are created. Usually they're squirrels, jerboas, giant frogs, or giant butterflies. Unfortunately only the killer penguin counts as a real animal in its own right. I'll release the others into the swamp. Our first creation was a giant butterfly.

I'm sure the ecosystem will be ok with a few dozen of these roaming around.

I'll admit I made a mistake here. During the attempts to make a killer penguin, I got distracted, forgot what I was doing, and absentmindedly made this bluebuck correctly. I didn't want to get rid of her, so now we have bluebucks. I made another shortly thereafter to keep her company.

Adding the bluebuck resulted in us gaining another 1/2 star, raising us to the halfway mark.

While we were working on that, we were offered a new chance at the donation matching challenge.

We hired an educator to help encourage donations and hopefully reach the goal.

Our bongos bred again and decided they were overcrowded. To make room, we released their first, now adult, child into the wild for a permanent minor bonus to fame.

Unfortunately, we narrowly failed the donation challenge.

We'll try and make it up with a repeat of the stress reduction challenge.

Finally, after way more time and effort than I expected it to take, we created a killer penguin egg. While we wait for it to hatch, we built a whole Penguin area just to the side of our entrance. Cobblepot's Confectioneries was moved into the area, along with a new table for the guests to eat their ice cream.

Glad we should be done with the penguin shortly, aside from any danger it causes. That took a while, but I'll circle back and deal with the requests we had to put on the back burner for its sake next time.

A giant frog, created by the unnatural science of the Gardens.

Zoo fame:2-1/2 stars
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:10:41 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2020, 05:07:57 am »

The pirate shipwreck sounds like the kind of thing that would fit in well with our zoo swamp.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 03, 2020, 08:29:16 pm »

Unfinished business

February-August, Year Two.

Time to take care of the unfinished requests. We started by adding flamingoes to the African buffalo exhibit, as Lukerules and Mightymushroom suggested.

The buffalo exhibit has been slightly expanded to make room.

Our new multispecies exhibit quickly resulted in boosting us to three stars. Some good unlocks this time.

Our new shipwreck makes an impressive decoration for our swamp.

It was at this point that our killer penguin hatched.

We completed the stress reduction challenge without incident, fueling more expansion.

This is a potentially lucrative offer. To be clear, I'm pretty sure it specifically wants us to breed animals from the African Adventure expansion. We already have two species from the expansion, and we were already working on a large savanna exhibit for Zultan's zebras and Luke's dromedaries. Dromedary camels are actually desert animals, but animals often tolerate biomes similar to the "correct" one.

In the meantime, I added a pair of Masai giraffes to the future zebra enclosure to fulfill the challenge's conditions. They were among the few animals from the African Adventure expansion that were also cheap enough that buying two wouldn't render the challenge reward moot. The savanna exhibit was built large and with room to grow, since I figured you'll ultimately be putting a lot of animals in there if Headshoots was any indication.

We then reached 3-1/2 stars. We're moving along quickly, but I expect it'll take a while to get the full five stars at the end. Hopefully this won't be too quick.

On June 21st, we added Zultan's zebras to our collection.

Unfortunately, we failed the challenge to breed three different African animals. We did get the pregnancies, but the babies hadn't actually been born yet by the time the challenge ended. We were immediately offered a new challenge to earn $8,000 in donations, but that one ultimately didn't work out either.

Not long after, we were able to afford our dromedary camels. To accommodate the guests now herding into this area, we added a restaurant and a new educator. Our first educator was personally responsible for $17,228 worth of donations at this point.

Almost impressively even by the exaggeratedly short lifespans of Zoo Tycoon animals, our flamingos produced a new generation and died within 6 months of our buying them. I'll keep an eye on that population to make sure they don't die out.

King Zultan suggested a Jeep tour, but I wanted to ask about that. As you can see on the map lower down, none of our exhibits are really big enough yet to ride a car through them. We could run the cars along the outside edge, but that seems disappointing. An alternative might be to build a sky tram. Then the guests can see the whole zoo from above.

One request left to handle:King Zultan's "dangerous playground". We started construction, and before we were even finished we reached four stars.

Took a bit, but the playground's finished.

It's got a music rock, gorilla climbing bars, a turtle trampoline, and a black cat bouncy ride. It's also got a nice stone floor bursting with giant venus flytraps and mythical* man eating trees, a Yateveo and an umdlebe. The umdlebe even gives off poisonous vapors.

*The umdlebe is actually a real poisonous tree, but is also the focus of various myths.

Killer penguins can be useful for motivating donations.

Zoo fame:4 stars
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:35:58 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2020, 05:15:48 am »

That gate is really fancy for a zoo that isn't that big, also what happens if we hit five stars soon is the game over or are we going to try to get 1 million dollars?

Also maybe we should get some of those animal house things.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2020, 07:44:21 am »

It would be nice to go for 1 million dollars, I'm just worried that, like last time, saving money instead of throwing whatever wacky stuff into our zoo that we can dream of will be a bit boring.

As an example of wacky stuff: We're a swamp zoo. Maybe we should get all the crocodiles in a wetlands for for our jeep tour.

I don't know how (if) jeeps handle fences and barriers. If the crocodiles don't get along in the same enclosure we may need to use a sky tram and/or elevated path instead.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2020, 09:55:28 am »

I can't help but notice we've unlocked unicorns, let us hope for our zookeepers sake that these are not the like the ones in dwarf fortress. Lets get a cannon and point it facing a long stretch of path and tiles immediately around it look at least somewhat hellish... and then some flowers around that. Not only will it be a literal interpretation of our name, its also a reference to siege weapon mass dodge training.

It would be nice to go for 1 million dollars, I'm just worried that, like last time, saving money instead of throwing whatever wacky stuff into our zoo that we can dream of will be a bit boring.

Saving money is always boring and isn't a good measurement of how well we're doing when there's no time limit to save that money. A much better alternative would be to set a goal based on yearly net income and add back the the cost of your one time fees such as buying the animals themselves and construction. It looks like we haven't even used up a tenth of our property and our enclosures aren't optimized so I'd say our final goal should be around twelve to fifteen times this years profit.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2020, 12:46:23 pm »

If we get to five stars too quickly, we'll keep playing until we reach a better stopping point. No worries.

Like Mightymushroom said, $1,000,000 would be nice, but likely impractical to ever actually reach. Our monthly income is steadily increasing, but we're making a bit over $3,000 a month right now, I think. 12x that as annual income would set a goal for us at 432,000 of annual profit. We'll see where we go. Incidentally, when I checked our finances for this post I noticed that admission tickets represent a trivial amount of our income. Would you all like to make admission free?

The crocodile jeep tour is very much doable. It'll take a long time to build given the costs involved, but we can cordon off a quarter of the zoo for the purpose. Different crocodilian species do fight, usually if one is smaller than the other, but we can build special gates for jeeps to drive through. It'd be a shame to build a massive crocodilian collection in Florida without American alligators, so I'll download a mod for those. There are several that are already based on the Crocodylia mod's base, so that'll work out.
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2020, 11:33:28 pm »

Like I mentioned in the previous post, we'll need alligators if our Everglades crocodilian area is going to feel complete. To that end, I've added Scott's American alligator to our mod collection.

Swamp Jaws

August-October, Year Two

An extremely frustrating bug in this game is that guests occasionally panic at the sight of animals that are still contained in their exhibits. They then run around screaming, which triggers other guests to run. At least it's usually possible to determine why they think the animal is "escaped" and fix the issue. In this case, a kid clipped into the dwarf crocodile exhibit when I loaded in and triggered a fear-plague. Luckily, I was able to contain the affected crowd and move them a bit into the swamp to calm down.

Last time this happened, I think it was because the donation box was too close to the fence and guests were technically "inside" the enclosure when they put money in. Nearly all of our guests were affected by the time I fixed it then.

We got an easy challenge for a free animal. Six small restrooms (that were immediately demolished as soon as the challenge was over) got us an American beaver.

Another easy challenge, since we could just undo buying those animals after getting the pictures.

For earning $5,000 in marine animal donations, we unlocked the dolphin arch.

This is one of my favorite challenges. Even if you don't have the appropriate exhibits, you can just make a tiny patch of appropriately-colored grass to for it to count.

It's basically just a free $4,000. The money first paid for finishing the fences of our crocodile area. We've cordoned off almost an entire quarter of the zoo grounds for this. It'll be an ongoing project, and we'll separate areas as needed to keep the crocodiles from eating each other. We used themed swamp fencing for this area, which you can see in the distance.

The rest of the money paid for the animal houses Zultan suggested. We picked sea horses, jellyfish, reptiles, and bugs for the purpose.

Easy enough.

Next, we built our actual hell cannon, per Luke's suggestion.

Next time, we can start on adding actual crocodiles to the swamp. We can also build a unicorn exhibit, but I wasn't certain Luke meant it as an actual suggestion.

The Killer Penguin's Zoopedia entry.

Zoo fame:4 stars
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:19:11 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2020, 04:10:10 am »

Since we got the dolphin arch it reminded me that we don't have any fish, we should get some of them.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2020, 05:19:26 am »

>We can also build a unicorn exhibit, but I wasn't certain Luke meant it as an actual suggestion.

Yeah I wasn't too clear on that, but I do want to get a unicorn exhibit so that our guests may watch them majestically impale our zoo keepers eat grass or whatever it is unicorns do.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2020, 04:15:47 pm »

Swamp Unicorn

August-January, Year Two and Three

We started this month taking care of basic construction and waiting for the money to add the new suggestions. Without changing anything substantial, we reached 4.5 stars.

We tried the African donation challenge again.

In the meantime, we were able to open up our swamp ride with a pair of Cuban crocodiles. I was hoping we'd use these at some point, this species in particular is one of my favorite animals.

Since it is a Bay 12-built ride, I figured it'd be appropriate to add a volcano to the tour route. On the practical side, tour objects like these boost the rating and donation profits of our ride.

We failed the donation challenge, but no matter. The swamp ride was a resounding success, quickly beginning to generate thousands of dollars in donations even with only the two crocodiles. We added a bat cave and fog machines to further impress the visitors.

A long line of guests quickly formed outside the station, so we own a small fleet of jeeps to carry all the visitors through.

Our zoo has grown to the point I needed a second keeper to help out.

We took an easy challenge for a free Diprotodon genome.

Per King Zultan's request for fish, we built a large tank and added a pair of blue marlins. We should be able to fit plenty more sea creatures in there in the future. Short-finned pilot whales and leatherback sea turtles would make a good match, I think. There was also a good spot for a decoration just outside the tank, so I took the liberty of adding a splash fountain.

The female marlin immediately got out of the tank somehow, but we returned it promptly. Maybe it jumped out.

Our beaver built two lodges out of some provided sticks.

Got a good challenge. $2,000 and an award for a very easy photograph.

This was the $2,000 photo, by the way.

It's not really an important detail, but I like how every guest has a personal favorite animal. Not sure what causes the patterns, but nearly half the guests currently in our zoo have either Unhcegila/Unktehila or sea lions as their favorite animal.

This was a mild surprise. We used to only have three bongos at most, but I had stopped really paying attention to their habitat for a while. Now we have eight of them and climbing.

Finally, we got our first unicorn in mid-January. Although nominally an alpine animal, our unicorn was perfectly content to share the grassland exhibit with our surviving bluebuck.

A Cuban crocodile watches a passing jeep.

Zoo fame:4.5 stars
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:07:51 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30