Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 65291 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon 2
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2020, 04:29:10 am »

Best not to forget that they're dinosaurs. We can always just release them into the wild if they become a danger to the rest of the exhibit.
I'm sure no bad can come from that.

Also if we build a mansion we don't have to build one that big, also I'm sure we can come up with something nicer that the examples from earlier.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2020, 07:26:49 am »

For the empty wetlands space: I notice we don't seem to have much in the way of tropical rainforest species yet. Maybe convert it over for some Mokele-Mbembe?
-----

The 'museum' wall/floor textures are exactly that: to me, they scream "public institution" such as you'd find downtown in a big city or on a university campus. It's not necessarily bad, but I have trouble mentally reconciling it with our wide outdoor swamp. I don't think they'll ever look like something I'd call 'mansion.' (And the repetitiveness in the example pics is grating.)

That said, perhaps they could be used in moderation, to enclose a food/souvenir/guest service area or something? Have small buildings at the back end of some exhibits to simulate animal shelters?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2020, 02:59:55 am »

they scream "public institution"
That gives me a better idea lets instead build an animal prison!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2020, 12:21:18 pm »

First choice, I think Cobble Stone Building Set best fits my idea of a nature center type feel, as if we are a park or preserve of some some sort.
That would overlap conceptually with our crocodilian swamp and our manatee pool.

(Close) Second choice, Taronga Building Set would be my pick for a more modern-like feel with emphasis on broad, rectangular roofs/awnings and windows.
Good if we want to make viewing galleries (which I believe is King Zultan's intent, in one form or another); possibly in combination with one of the aviary sets for indoor-outdoor exhibits.

It's not lost on me that those two are from the same designer(s?).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2020, 04:20:36 am »

I like the sound of those two, but I also like the look of the brick one and the Japanese one, I know the Japan one doesn't match the rest of the place I just like it.

Also viewing galleries sound like a thing we need.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2020, 11:15:28 pm »

Amazon Caiman

February-April, Year Five

And we're back. We've downloaded the cobblestone building set, but before we redesign the main area I'd like to finish with the ongoing projects by filling out the crocodile swamp, getting the other sandhill crane, finding a resident for that empty exhibit, and dealing with whatever problems emerge along the way.

Regarding the idea of simulating animal shelters as Mightymushroom suggested, we don't actually have to simulate it. Premade structures like that are available in the base game. The animals periodically use them to fulfill their need for privacy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As February ended, we received an award for earning $250,000 in total animal donations. As a reward, we can now build the face painting kiosk.

We found the remains of our sandhill crane we just bought. No confirmed killer, since the attack report went unnoticed in our endless series of less important messages. I think it's obvious who was responsible.

We've still got enough sandhill cranes available in the animal menu to try again with them, if you want. The Mokele-Mbembe is a bit big for the empty exhibit. It's basically a monster Brontosaurus. Would you all rather put the cranes in there, and maybe build a new exhibit for the cryptid?

A pair of black caimans have been added to the crocodile tour. Unusually big for a caiman, this is the largest predator in the Amazon.

We're still working on the pictures of Pirate Parker required for the challenge. All that's left is to get a photo of him playing in our splash fountain.

Our vampire beast died after a surprisingly short lifespan. We could replace it, or we could combine its enclosure with the adjacent wetlands biome for a single large exhibit. That would probably be big enough for a Mokele-Mbeme, if we want to do that. Who knows, maybe this dinosaur-cryptid would be willing to share space with the sandhill cranes.

On a related note, I thought I'd mention that we're barely earning any money from the show tank in relation to the amount of time and effort it would take to really get it going. It's functional as it is, but I thought I should make the situation known in case someone wants the space for something else.

Our Deinosuchus, enjoying a moment of solitude between jeep tours.

Spoiler: Zoo map (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2020, 04:08:22 am »

Maybe spreading more donation boxes around will bring in the money, also I think we should replace the vampire thing.

Having money seems to be this zoos biggest issue, maybe we should halt buying stuff for a little bit to allow the accumulation of cash.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 25, 2020, 07:56:30 am »

If we're going to be tearing up the center/early portions of the zoo to put in our building(s) then I wouldn't worry about making room for Mokele-Mbembe there right now. It was a thought based on the complaint that the first animals in the zoo weren't particularly interesting ones; but we can revisit that as part of the later redesign.

I'm still interested in giving sandhill cranes a go.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 25, 2020, 11:27:56 am »

Hey, what do you all think of installing a sky tram ride over the zoo? It could make some good money, since we’d have two tour options.
My mods and forum games.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2020, 09:03:52 pm »

Making money

April-May, Year Five

Per King Zultan's suggestion (and an unexpected interruption by Real Life), we'll be doing a short, money-accumulating update today.

Checking up on the crocodile swamp, the gharials have made a nest and our alligators are accompanied by several young.

We gave up on the Pirate Parker challenge. It's taking way too long to get the final shot to be worth it. Even caging him with nothing but a splash fountain was unable to get him to give us the picture of him playing with the fountain that we needed.

Overall, we didn't make too much progress this update. Mostly, we dug ourselves out of the financial hole buying the caimans put us in. I think we can do better in the near future by carefully picking a bunch of low-risk medium-to-high-reward challenges.

Finally, where do you want the "indoor section" of the zoo to be? I had assumed you wanted something like the red outline on this map.

A child meets a Sivatherium.

My mods and forum games.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2020, 09:32:38 pm »

The outline looks about right with the exception of that one weird bit sticking out, I think it would be best to just leave that outdoors.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 26, 2020, 03:33:57 am »

I was thinking we could put it in the northeast corner that has nothing in it.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 26, 2020, 09:38:06 am »

I was thinking a small building/awning over the jeep ride station and a larger one from the aquarium tanks to about as far as the line of the elevated path? Thus only half enclosing the savannah animals, letting them wander in and out.

(Yeah, privacy shelters are separate, but if we're making a building(s) let me pretend.)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 26, 2020, 08:59:09 pm »

Archer's nightmare

May-July, Year Five

We could start building, but I'll wait until we've agreed on a plan before changing things. For now, we'll keep accumulating money.

Aside from a donation income about $1,000 below average, May was a pretty good example of our finances without construction.

We make a lot of money, it's just heavily offset by our massive upkeep and salary costs. I avoid hiring any more keepers by doing as much of the work myself as possible, but it's a bit difficult to keep up. I did notice when reviewing our finances that we have an excess of educators on the staff that aren't pulling their weight, so we'll fire those. That should save us about $1,000 a month. Our "Recycling" income mostly comes from selling poop as compost and the $250 apiece balloon bouquets we receive every time an endangered animal breeds. Although requiring a lot of attention and cage-cleaning, our Cuban crocodiles are a major source for both.

Given that we need money, what better option is there than gambling?

It didn't work out for us, but one of our guests had the best day at the zoo of their life.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like our swamp exhibit's collection is working out. We have a confirmed kill of an African buffalo by a Protarchaeopteryx. I feel like it's worth mentioning that Protarchaeopteryx is only supposed to be turkey-sized.

We released the dinosaurs into the wild to protect our buffaloes. One could call this a natural disaster in the making, but I'm sure Florida can handle it.

The Endangered Animals Alliance offered us a free animal in exchange for proof that we had at least three different endangered species in the park. Once we had provided pictures of our gharials, sea otters, and Cuban crocodiles, they gave us a Spanish lynx. We moved her into the former vampire beast/peafowl exhibit. We can always make another exhibit if we get around to having vampire beasts again, and this one is well suited to the lynx.

Completing that challenge unlocked one of the rare persistent awards. Endangered species-themed buildings and objects have now been permanently unlocked, even if we start a new zoo.

Our T. rex and unicorn populations were down to single individuals, so we created and bought more.

A feature I like, but hadn't got around to mentioning before is that certain birds can be seen flying up and perching in trees. Monkeys also climb trees, but neither uses this ability to escape their exhibits.

A problem has emerged with providing enough food and drinking water to keep up with the enormous appetite of the Cuban crocodile swarm.

You'd think the water part would be easy, but the crocodiles seem a bit finicky about what water they're willing to drink. Given that we seem to be running up on an actual overpopulation problem in that exhibit, we reduced the numbers a bit by giving up all the angry ones for adoption.

We still have plenty.

One of our mastodons developed pink elephant disease. It was caused by their pursuit ball and cured with a sample of cotton candy. Anyway, the research effort earned us $4,798.

That money helped us buy a pair of small Chinese alligators, getting us both species of alligator and completing the current version of the swamp tour. We could add more later, but we'll need more exhibits to do so. Maybe we could expand the tour into the northeast empty section.

Sunset by the jellyfish.

My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 30