Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Emblem on Forums (IC thread)  (Read 25427 times)

Unlurking Sentinel

• Bay Watcher
  • 6e 6f 74 20 61 20 72 6f 62 6f 74
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Emblem on Forums (IC thread)
« Reply #195 on: October 03, 2020, 08:51:03 pm »

None of the wizards saw the two trespassing scholars, thanks to the fortress being so darkly lit. But they didn't notice nothing.

"...?"

"Did you hear something?"

The small assembly paused for a long moment, but ultimately resumed what appeared to be the original discussion.

"I'm telling you, we need to at least try to remove the crystal from the child as soon as possible! As you can plainly see," as his voice turned towards the figure magically bound, "we lack the infrastructure to even study, much less contain with certainty, cases this irregular."

"I know, but... I just don't feel comfortable with the odds, given our existing procedures, and how little we know of this condition."

"I concur. Surely it would be hasty to discard a case study as unique as this. Infrastructure or no, this incident is likely replicable, and if it happens again with another lucid crystal, we don't want to approach that situation as we are know, knowing as little as we do."

"But this crystal has already proven to be unpredictable!"

As the debate raged on, something seemed off about the assembly. When Claus and Viverna first entered the room, there seemed to be four wizards, but they could only hear the voices of three... until suddenly, they could hear another, only it was right behind them!
"Found you."

A magical light blared around them, as the voice behind them dispelled his blink effect. Professor Vinter, retired military lieutenant turned teacher and warden. He preferred "Officer Vinter" from the soldiers and scholars, and was infamous for taking security into his own hands.
"Now, what are these two children doing without supervision? Didn't your mothers teach you to not break into rooms with locked doors?"
The old woman paused once again. The turmoil in her eyes was not lessened by the Kuesekan boy's words.
"In all my years, I've heard many perspectives from many corners of the world. From Coris, from Assilsha, from Evrae. Nobles, servants, soldiers, poets... I've disagreed with more than I can count."
"I would like to hear another perspective. What is a 'warrior's death' to you? And what makes you think you will find one on the path you walk?"
01101110 01101111 01110000 01100101 00101100 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100110 01101001 01101110 01101001 01110100 01100101 01101100 01111001 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100

Final Fantasy Emblem on Forums

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »

Claus had a hunch that something was off— but his curiosity overwhelmed him too much to keep him from leaving. They weren't attempting to endanger the child, were they? Of course, before he could listen further— Claus turned to the man, his expression furrowed despite the sheer presence of the man.

"We are not children that need supervision as you should quite plainly know, Professor Vinter— and I'm afraid my mother did not teach me, considering she has been dead for quite some time. My father, on the other hand, would be quite proud of me actually considering the suspicious behavior that is afoot. I had an inkling something was not right, otherwise you obviously would have come to me considering my high marks and graduation status. However, regrettably I assume this is the part where you throw me in prison for breaking and entering, yes? It's quite obvious that the crime here is actually finding out the blatant mistreatment of a child and a precious specimen, otherwise the punishment would just be simple detention. Regrettable, as I could crack the case at a moment's notice, but you prefer sycophants who will keep their mouths shut rather than actual intellect." Claus shoots the wizards a look, shaking his head. "My only request is that Viverna here is not an accomplice— she actually was ultimately smarter than I and knew that going here would be trouble and was here to stop me. If you could find it in your heart to spare her punishment, that would be quite acceptable and I will go quietly. However, if you wrongly decide she deserves punishment as well... well, I can think of a few outcomes that might arise, but I assure you that not everyone will be emerging happy from it."

This whole speech is said without an ounce of sarcasm— merely Claus completely speaking his mind without giving either the professor or the wizards a chance to interject.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2020, 08:26:09 pm »

Viverna forced herself to speak despite the anxiety this situation filled her with. Each moment made it more likely that she would be imprisoned, and once the details came to light, it was likely that reprisal would fall upon Claus as well.

"I apologize." A brief pause. "Claus sometimes has poor judgement. Not just with actions, as you can see."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 12, 2020, 01:52:22 am »

The old woman paused once again. The turmoil in her eyes was not lessened by the Kuesekan boy's words.
"In all my years, I've heard many perspectives from many corners of the world. From Coris, from Assilsha, from Evrae. Nobles, servants, soldiers, poets... I've disagreed with more than I can count."
"I would like to hear another perspective. What is a 'warrior's death' to you? And what makes you think you will find one on the path you walk?"

: "I would not expect an old and defeated woman to understand, but to rot away in this dark prison cell for ages until the day I die, it would bring dishonor not only to my name, but to my family, and to my ancestors as well."
: "If I am to die, I will do so standing on my own two feet, to struggle, no matter how vainly, for a cause I believe in.  Even if it is for something as simple as fulfilling a promise made to calm a pair of mewling children."
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2020, 04:04:50 am »

"... And yet, for a short moment, you were willing to abandon me and the boy when the guards approached."
"Of course, ultimatively, you returned, otherwise you wouldn't be here. But you don't seem too eager to seek a warrior's death to me..."

Djedre looks to the old woman for a moment, then back to Akira.

"I, too, am prepared to die in combat if it is the only way. But death should be reserved as the last option, for a dead body can no longer protect those you've sworn protection to."
"... But in the end, we're only embiggening the meaning of our actions with our words. It doesn't change their results."

Unlurking Sentinel

• Bay Watcher
  • 6e 6f 74 20 61 20 72 6f 62 6f 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2020, 10:28:54 pm »

"...Your ancestors raised you poorly, then, if you accept dying in a cell as martyrdom."
"There is a fine line between risking your life for something, and throwing it away for nothing. The former is necessary, but the latter is meaningless. When there is not a single advantage to seize, not a one glimmer of hope, you do not scatter what time you have left to the four winds. The dying have no choice to accept all they've done as all they'll ever do, after all."
"If you have no reason to die, yet you throw yourselves onto the spears regardless, you are no warrior. You are a fool in a warrior's armor."

As the anger and spirit began to manifest in her voice, the old woman's own silhouette seemed... different. Somehow larger? Or perhaps just more imposing? Not much of it could be made out from the darkness, given her heavy rags and robes, but...

"..."

The professor stood there, simply stunned by the child's mouthiness, as well as his complete lack of situational awareness, before eventually composing himself.

"...Ahem. Let us start from the beginning."

"Claus Palermo, was it? 'Star Prodigy' of both Excidium and Instaurum's academies? If I recall your stated reasons for joining this establishment, you had recognized, at least at the time, that you had more to learn. However, not everything in this world, much less this nation, can be gleaned from rigorous study alone. There is experience as well. Experience that can only be gained over many, many years. It is clear to me, however many years you have so far lived, that despite your dedicated study, you are severely lacking in experience, insofar as you have proven unable or unwilling to recognize, much less respect, your superiors. This is the behavior of a child."

"Secondly, your background is known to me. However, your upbringing, or lack thereof, is of no concern to your position at this time."

"Third, do not expect that we have the luxury of ignoring due process. Less than twenty-four hours have passed, and we are still at the preliminary analysis. There are a great many scholars here more qualified than I in the matters of lucid crystals, and if you wish to consider yourself among them, I invite you to. But the utmost priority, as of this time, is guaranteeing the security and safety of all involved. There is no telling what a lucid crystal so provoked might do to the child it has possessed, much less to those around it. Only when security is guaranteed, is when those such as you would be considered. A consideration that you have openly forfeited."

"Fourth, given how little you as-of-yet understand the situation, your concern for both the boy's condition, and that of the crystal, is... understandable. Indeed, as such an occurrence of a lucid crystal possessing a human is nearly unheard of, we sofar have been unable to apply the standard containment procedure to it, and have had to resort to more traditional methods. However,"
he said while directing the torch spell in the direction of the child, magically bound with an altogether unfamiliar spell as he sat in a chair, "do not assume the paralysis involved to be anywhere of a fraction as pernicious as that employed against the prisoners when the cells detect an escapee. Even as the child has yet to recover consciousness, Professor Mayes insisted on expending every effort of her attention to ensure his comfort and safety, in the event that the crystal has not overtaken all of his senses." Though perhaps an imperceptible drop in the raging ocean, the last sentence might have carried a smidge more bitterness than the ones before.

"And finally, you are correct that breaking and entering, into an unmarked room unconnected to the dungeons no less, is a crime punishable only through detention. It would have been every Friday, one hour, starting from five in the afternoon, for four weeks. Young Viverna, you will receive one week, for your failure to prevent your friend from continuing on his present course."
"However, Claus,"
as his voice began to elevate, "you did not simply break into an unmarked room. You openly insulted and dismissed your superiors, the entire Academy no less, and openly claimed intent to subvert them in regards to a highly volatile situation."
"They may allow such behavior in, say, Instaurum, but in an institution as demanding of security as where you stand? In a time and situation as unprecedented in its danger as this? Whilst being caught performing a crime, albeit a minor one?"

Professor Vinter paused, as if to let his words hang in the air.

"Claus Palermo, yours is an ego thoroughly consumed by self-righteousness. A lesser officer might consider it incurable, even. But regardless, it is clear that this is not a case that demands a standard detention. You must needs learn your place."
"Every day for seven days, starting today, you will go to the lower dungeons at four in the afternoon and assist in the renovation efforts until six. Clearing chambers, hauling stone, but nothing too physically demanding for a soldier. In addition, during this time, you will be required to provide the daily meals to the insurgents who sought to hide the crystal from our professors, until they are relocated elsewhere. Interrogations are due as soon as possible, so ensuring that they're fed is imperative."
The tone in his voice turned somewhat grim. "Unfortunately, the situation was... managed... such that they were sent to a chamber on the floor under renovation. As it is on the same floor as your other services, it should be no added difficulty to provide for them. You will find them in Chamber 53."

Chamber 53... some awful rumors surrounded there. The records and the cells corroborate that a prisoner has been there for decades... even when no food is brought to the cell for years on end (and even then only to feed any other prisoners held there, a practice that Praesidium does its best to avoid). Some say that whatever's in there must be a loose fiend, perhaps a ghastly crystal that takes its form from a dead woman, or a demon puppeting her bones and flesh. Such possibilities are simply absurd, given the manpower and knowledge the Academy has to vanquish or contain such a threat, no matter how many ghost story anecdotes the older guards jokingly spread, or the younger students claim to have experienced.

That said... two handfuls of guards Viverna and Claus could've heard in passing claimed to have been hospitalized from their experiences in Chamber 53.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:15:32 pm by Unlurking Sentinel »
01101110 01101111 01110000 01100101 00101100 00100000 01100100 01100101 01100110 01101001 01101110 01101001 01110100 01100101 01101100 01111001 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100

Final Fantasy Emblem on Forums

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2020, 09:10:56 pm »

It wasn't unlike listening to a lecture, but for once Claus simply listened while keeping his thoughts internalized. It was rather dull listening— unfortunately a professor like Vinter was not one to be willing to back his ego down so easily. Yet the professor was still the professor; Claus had said his piece and so he would listen. As far as he was concerned, the treatment of this precious Lucid Crystal was still quite difficult to believe. Was it a cover-up? He made a mental note to make his own further investigation— once he came better prepared.

Relief coursed through him— so Vinter would underestimate him. No prison time, but detention? Detention was far too easy of a punishment, and plus he was happy to have Viverna get a little less time, even if it was still warranting an apology.

But then... Professor Vinter did something unthinkable. Deplorable, even. Claus's expression darkened upon this— to be forced into guard duty, such a trivial and boring task that wasted his time, was one thing. But this? Two hours for seven days? That was fourteen hours. Fourteen hours of studying down the drain. His schedule was going to be demolished by this. But of course, it was inevitable coming from someone who refused to acknowledge the essentials of an education.

"...Very well. I see why you prefer Officer Vinter rather than Professor Vinter. You demand respect... And I suppose you are the final word in all of this, then. Lower dungeons, four o'clock in the afternoon. Today." Claus's expression was darkened under his hat. Viverna knew that expression very well, while nobody else would— it was a rarity. It was the expression that Claus meant business and he would do something absolutely stupid and crazy to get back into his worktime. The scariest part is that these things would tend to work out in the end— arguably he might even be losing more time than if he just toed the line. Yet that was just how Claus's brain worked— egotistical without even realizing it.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2020, 09:56:19 pm »

Viverna's own expression was unreadable as she silently listened to the exchange. Claus was liable to do something stupid here, whether it be out of pride, spite over having his study interrupted yet again, or simple sheer stubbornness.

The worst part was, she was liable to join him. Or, in fact, to urge him on.

"I understand, Officer Vinter. I will do my best to keep Claus on the correct path going forward." Her words, like many of her actions, were careful, deliberate. She gave a gesture partway between a nod and a bow before turning to leave. "Claus, we need to discuss this." She allowed a hint of anger to seep into her voice. It was appropriate for her to be angry with Claus, of course; he had gotten her detention. That was convenient.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2020, 10:07:44 pm »

With that, Claus silently followed Viverna without returning the same gesture to Professor Vinter. Claus's tone didn't change, but he was significantly more respectful than he was to Professor Vinter. Probably from the quieter volume and the somewhat avoidant facial expression.

"...Yes we do." He said with a little nod.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2020, 06:34:21 am »

Viverna waited for them to move out of the range of the professor's vigilant eyes and ears before continuing.

"What are your thoughts on what we observed in that room?"
GM of Trespassers V2.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2020, 08:01:47 am »

"If we are to live, we must survive, if we are to die, do what you can to avoid that fate. The dead can't achieve anything more."

"A warrior's death only matters if they protect something precious to them. Things like glory, greed, and honor are poor reasons to die."

The slums of Zerah, when he was captured. The singing that he did to make do. Zerah is in a poor state, but he is alive and here.

"I would far rather live, helping others and doing what I wish in life."

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2020, 10:15:18 pm »

"I don't trust it one bit, honestly." Claus shook his head. "I'll believe Vinter's words when I actually see what they're doing for myself. A Lucid Crystal is dangerous when overloaded or suppressed— and whatever they're doing doesn't look like neither of the two. And I highly doubt that it's unintentional."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2020, 07:43:29 am »

Viverna nodded slowly, carefully considering her next words.

"I agree." Another pause, this one somewhat shorter. "I do not think I can allow it to continue."
GM of Trespassers V2.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 23, 2020, 06:17:54 pm »

A tiny sigh came out of Claus.

"Well, I can always continue my education another time— hopefully once something is done about the seedy practices here. Let's make our 'graduation' one to remember... Together."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2020, 08:49:41 pm »

Viverna gave another nod, this one much sharper and more decisive.

"The professor has provided us with an opportunity. Whether you take it or not, I will follow your lead."
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27