Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designing a world without necromancers, demons, bogeymen and were* beasts. FAIL  (Read 908 times)

lorenmj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't like playing with certain elements in the game, so I thought I was removing them by removing the possibility of them being generated, however, it has *odd* results. Which I think might be unintended.

If I go to design a world without the items in the list (see Subject:) I get a bunch of creatures/humans generated that still try to become these things, only they fail.

I would think that the generated world would produce more humans who go about other activities rather than spending time on the search for secrets, but no.. they spend just as much time searching for secrets only fail once they get there. Can't there be a way such that if secrets were removed that humans (or anything that pursues necromancy since it cannot exist in this world) simply spend more time on other endeavors?

It seems to work with creature generation just fine. I get plenty of cyclops and golems which result in lots of the normal *fun* which is fantastic.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You'll find a lot of people in our own world spent time trying to find the secrets of life and death too...

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

I think that if you remove actual necromancy from the world, the messages you get about people being obsessed with their own mortality won’t have actual consequences. They wish they could be necromancers, but they aren’t actually acting on it.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that if you remove actual necromancy from the world, the messages you get about people being obsessed with their own mortality won’t have actual consequences. They wish they could be necromancers, but they aren’t actually acting on it.
Again, many people in history were obsessed with mortality. Went to great lengths to become necromancers only to fail once they got there.

Specifically what is Legends telling you that they're doing, beyond them being obsessed with their own mortality?

lorenmj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again, many people in history were obsessed with mortality. Went to great lengths to become necromancers only to fail once they got there.

Specifically what is Legends telling you that they're doing, beyond them being obsessed with their own mortality?

It is just a lot of it. I generally go thousands of years unless I'm experimenting with something specific.

If many humans or whatever else are trying to become immortal even though necromancy is removed from the design of the world and this is an expected outcome - then I accept that. I just wondered if it was expected. Removing were-disease seems to remove were* beasts. Would this not work the same way?

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would believe both.  It probably wasn't designed not to have them, but with the effect you're seeing, it'd likely be classified as a by design feature.  Like Shonai_Dweller said, there are so many beings in this world who are searching for some sort of immortality effect, be it a holy grail, philosopher's stone, a fountain of youth, searching for demons, searching for angels and gods, drinking your own urine, cloning,  eating mermaids, heavenly peaches, golden apples, transferring a head to another body, transferring consciousness into the internet or another body, the idea of being reincarnated, or simply wanting to become famous so that their name is always known (all real examples).  From our examples, so many people either have such a desire to live forever, be it in body or mind, that it would make sense to still have people searching for those secrets even if they fail.  They never know, maybe someone will find it someday, so it makes sense that it would be their life's obsession.

Just so long as your mod has the intended outcome of preventing from finding success, then it sounds like you have achieved your goal.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a complex simulation. Almost nothing which happens when you tweak a bit of it happens "as planned". Toady hasn't gone through a list of all the hundreds of thousands of things a moddder might do and make the world react in specific ways.