Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Internal Affairs Phase  (Read 19679 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -3, Design Phase
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2020, 09:12:43 am »

Honestly, my issue with the airship is less that it's an airship, and more that it's an attempt at a logistics airship. I'd be fine with a combat one, but in terms of logistics there's no reason to use an airship over a train since it can barely carry the cargo of one train car and keep aloft.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2020, 09:15:39 am »

Now that I think about it, the train may be an interesting option, if we have rails passing all through our Empire, in case some traitors rise up, we could bring trains, with for example, very large guns, into their location to dispose of them quickly.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2020, 09:18:16 am »

Oh, secondary concern - I actually don't really like a steam-rifle, I'm just voting for it to prevent the airship from winning. I don't want our baseline infantry weapon to require steamcores. Special ones, sure, but this is meant to be the main gun we distribute to our troops right? This seems like it sharply limits our ability to actually deploy infantry, and might limit how much we deploy future cool designs - sure I'd like to use the steam core for our steam-mecha but it's either that or three divisions of infantry and we need boots on the ground.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2020, 09:33:49 am »

What do you mean Twin? So long as the empire endures, and it always will (all hail the empire), we can just manufacture more Steam Cores if we need them.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:35:21 am by Kashyyk »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2020, 09:34:38 am »

Honestly, my issue with the airship is less that it's an airship, and more that it's an attempt at a logistics airship. I'd be fine with a combat one, but in terms of logistics there's no reason to use an airship over a train since it can barely carry the cargo of one train car and keep aloft.

Steampunk. And that is a good reason to have both airship and train. The combat airship can come after the basic logistics one. They do serve separate roles. The trains can deliver wherever rail-lines are, but that only applies to Empire Territory where they have been built. The airship, meanwhile, can travel over oceans, seas, marshlands, mountains, and all types of difficult terrain, and move from Point A to Point B.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2020, 10:00:47 am »

Quote from: Votebox
'Starlight' Aerial Transport: (5) TricMagic, Taricus, Rockeater, Doomblade, ConscriptFive
Mark Ia "Theodore" Steam Thrower: (3) eS, Rockeater, Tricmagic
"Finger Trap" Imperial Armory Revolving Sidearm: (1) Madman
"Tortoise" Protected Train, Colonial Duty: (6) Madman, ConscriptFive, Twinwolf, MoP, NUKE9.13, Iridium
Bombardino Steam Rifle: (6) Nemonole, Iridium, Kashyyk, Taricus, NUKE9.13, MoP

Don't get me wrong, I love airships, but a train simply seems more practical for logistics at this time.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2020, 10:02:22 am »

Here's a train I pushed for the other frostpunk arms race. I'm not editing it to fit with our prompt here (making it a logistics train vs colony train) as I'm focusing brain efforts elsewhere and don't want to be too distracted, I'm just tossing it here for perusal and ideas for refining the train idea a little further.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, trains are objectively better than airships in regard to logistics for the sheer amount of goods they can transport. I mean, there's a dozen reasons why trains are still used in our world over even modern cargo aircraft. You don't need to be dropping supplies off to every location on a front. Supply depots exist for a reason.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2020, 10:03:09 am »

What do you mean Twin? So long as the empire endures, and it always will (all hail the empire), we can just manufacture more Steam Cores if we need them.
I mean, it might be good to think about the potential for forces on colonial deployments to be cut off from supplies, in which case we might want to consider non-steam-core weapons. I'd be willing to support a different kind of rifle, but the high rate of fire possible with the Bombardino is very tempting.

E: Maybe include an option for more primitive pressurisation systems, not powered by a steam core? Less effective, but would allow for cheaper deployment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 10:05:05 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2020, 10:06:05 am »

'Starlight' Aerial Transport: (5) TricMagic, Taricus, Rockeater, Doomblade, ConscriptFive
"Tortoise" Protected Train, Colonial Duty: (6) Madman, ConscriptFive, Twinwolf, MoP, NUKE9.13, Iridium

Don't get me wrong, I love airships, but a train simply seems more practical for logistics at this time.

Practicality in a United Empire, preposterous. Now is the time of advancement, and practicality can take a bench.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2020, 10:13:31 am »

Practicality in a United Empire, preposterous. Now is the time of advancement, and practicality can take a bench.

Surely you would like to make sure that our glorious Empire has every advantage possible against the filthy savages that try to destroy it? Unless you're - dare I say it - a traitor?
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2020, 10:18:11 am »

There are no traitors. But being able to fly above mountains and oceans would still be good for dealing with theoretical rebels and supplying our own. Or do you think building traintracks within the mountains are safe or easy. Or that trains can travel across the ocean? If so, I'd love to hear your ideas.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2020, 10:20:20 am »

...I mean, I rather doubt crossing the ocean is going to be relevant to dealing with traitors. Mountains, maybe. But even if that's a big enough concern to make an airship for logistics, I am not supporting one as our initial and main logistics vehicle - at best I'd support a combat airship that gets revised later to take the guns out.
Sigtext!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2020, 10:21:10 am »

Mark Ia "Theodore" Steam Thrower: (4) eS, Rockeater, Tricmagic, Taricus
Bombardino Steam Rifle: (5) Nemonole, Iridium, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, MoP
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2020, 10:21:23 am »

...I mean, I rather doubt crossing the ocean is going to be relevant to dealing with traitors. Mountains, maybe. But even if that's a big enough concern to make an airship for logistics, I am not supporting one as our initial and main logistics vehicle - at best I'd support a combat airship that gets revised later to take the guns out.

I also support this. In fact, I think I may propose a combat airship next turn.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2020, 10:29:28 am »

I also support this. In fact, I think I may propose a combat airship next turn.

Having the basic airship would make combat airships easier. And it's not going to be the only logistics option. The Empire already has trains to use. Why would we develop more trains when that doesn't really mean much?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26