Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A whole civilization of bandits  (Read 1250 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
A whole civilization of bandits
« on: June 10, 2020, 06:47:40 pm »

Started a new fort in a new world as I'm still getting used to the new features in .47.xx. After the first two migrant waves I started to notice a... pattern, and had to dive into Legends to see what was happening.

It seems that in this world most or maybe even all the members of my civilization are also members of a "goblin bandit gang" Hate of Dimpling. That gang has at the moment 7940 members, mostly dwarves, representing a significant portion of total dwarves in this whole world. Ordinary working, not at all banditlike dwarves are members of it. Newborn babies are members. Even the King of my civilization is a member, and he's not even the chief of the organization.

What am I in for with this fort? Are my own citizens going to start plotting and stealing artifacts? Do I have to implement (shudder) Dwarven Justice to avoid the fort descending into lawlessness?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A whole civilization of bandits
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 02:54:41 am »

Your fortress member are going to be corrupted and steal your artifacts for external villains regardless of any criminal organization membership. The whole point of the Villains release is to introduce a whack-a-mole game of trying to catch up on thefts, and that requires the activation of the injustice system (and it is completely ineffective when it comes to deterrence, and only marginally effective when it comes to interrupting thefts [as soon the the morons have been punished they'll steal the things again]).

I don't think membership in criminal organizations will make any difference. If you're lucky (in some sense of the word), you might get a Villain who orders other dorfs around, rather than having all the bosses being external.

If you don't need visitors, consider to keep them out by restricting access to taverns, temples, libraries, and guilds. Note that you may need to set up a general meeting area inside the fortress to get the trade liaison to move inside rather than mill around by the embark wagon to get killed by invaders or wildlife if you do that.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 03:59:00 am »

True, visitors really aren't worth all the trouble in this version; I learnt that with my earlier unfortunate forts for this version.

What I was worrying was whether my bandit immigrants come in "pre-corrupted", if that's the right word.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:07:11 pm »

I interogate every visitor for espionage. Even their pets. The hammerer is beating 2 right now. I wish dfHack would improve the perp list, new visitors are on bottom of perp list, so it makes for lots of scrolling.

Last three art thieves, I caught and caged. Sold um to elves. Ive begun seeing a pattern, so at the moment, I am winning the justice subgame. Keep in mind this embark the dorfs have no stress.

Easier to manage villains, with 0 stress.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 09:28:42 am »

I interogate every visitor for espionage. Even their pets. The hammerer is beating 2 right now.
When the sheriff/captain of the guard interrogates them, does it raise any of his social skills?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 09:46:49 pm »

Observe goes up, thats all, I know. He does a bunch of Judging Intent, maybe that, aswell.

Hard for me to isolate him, for a sheriff study. He is also mayor, too. Ill assign a new sheriff, and watvh closely.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Red Diamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 07:06:10 am »

Legends mode does not distinguish between bandits and refugees.