Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spectacular raid fail, Poor raid planning  (Read 1566 times)

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spectacular raid fail, Poor raid planning
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:16:58 am »

In the newest version, it's the first time I've ever had a raid fail so spectacularly against so small a force. Even before reaching the destination, my two squads clad head to toe in steel clashed with forty-four grizzly bears in Wallvalleys. Only 6 dwarfs survived. The dwarfs were "poorly led" by the dwarf Meng Claspsense.

So, my question: is there a way to ensure they are led better? The wiki doesn't say much about the Leader skill. Does it depend on another skill?

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spectacular raid fail, Poor raid planning
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 04:19:02 am »

I say that only 6 survived, but, more accurately, only 6 returned. I sent out a rescue party to recover the missing dwarfs, which is kind of annoying that I have to assign the mission and they have to return home between rescuing individual dwarfs. But anyway, I sent them on one rescue mission, they returned home empty-handed, and the mission report was utterly blank!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 04:24:43 am »

"Observer" is the skill that determines how well they prepare for battle. Presumably it's all about getting the lay of the land, attaining high ground, etc.

As for rescue missions, afaik they're still unimplemented and will always fail. Your dwarves are lost unless they return on their own.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 04:25:41 am »

Military tactics is the skill that matters most for this.

Missions will increase the skill of the dwarf in charge.
Sending many raids against easy targets help to gain skill fast.
Such bad luck is very rare. It probably will not happen again.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 04:28:07 am »

To fast-train observer skill in all Dwarves to legendary in just few months, create barracks location, as a smaller part of larger tavern location. Also put dinner location in tavern/barracks location, so hungry Dwarves visit tavern more often.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 12:37:05 am »

Military tactics is the skill that matters most for this.

Missions will increase the skill of the dwarf in charge.
Sending many raids against easy targets help to gain skill fast.
Such bad luck is very rare. It probably will not happen again.
Raids increase ambusher skill by 500xp per mission for all dwarves on the mission.

Pillage missions and Raze missions raise the leader's tactician and leader skills by 500xp per mission. More specifically you get that xp when the battle report says that a dwarf "unrolled a brilliant tactical plan", or something similar. You can also get that xp if a raid mission goes badly and you have to fight.

To grind for xp in tactician and leader, pick an enemy village near your fort. Send a large pillage mission to wipe out all the site's historical figures. Then send individual squads on pillage missions. They'll kill ten percent of the population with each mission. Once you've exterminated the site, move on to another.