Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 79860 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning
« Reply #705 on: July 31, 2023, 01:07:03 am »

Hmm, starting up a game to look at the changes, I can't help but notice how much room they've made in the tech tree for new techs by the resizing that they did. Some of that may be to benefit modding, but there's a lot of room for new tech to be added.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 24, 2023, 09:28:03 am »

An update came out recently, with - among other, arguably more substantial, things - new mugshots. No longer does the game look like it borrowed assets from the old Elite games. It's kinda uncanny how pretty everyone is now.

Anyway. Just bought Oceania, and am trying to get used to the new realities. For example, is there any way to prevent AI majors from making beachheads everywhere on my island - other than garrisoning every single hexagonal inch of the coastline?
Or at least a way to merge zones without first assigning a governor and spending upwards of 70pp? Since every AI landfall inevitably results in a new zone, with a port and an airbase set up next turn, that then litter my everything and are prohibitively expensive to merge back.

Some way of dealing with aquatic fauna would be nice too, as without being able to destroy them in encirclement they remain an unfun pain the neck.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 24, 2023, 04:46:53 pm »

Huh, those are some chiseled faces. I dunno, as iffy as the other ones were these ones are indeed too pretty. Though the bit of patch note saying that portraits are "more moddable" is encouraging.

As to Oceania, as much as I like the game I have pretty mixed feelings about the DLC based on what I've read about it. Never picked it up.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 24, 2023, 05:36:51 pm »

It's fun. Plays very different, and I'm not sure how well it'd fit in multiplayer, but it certainly spices things up.
Also, feels much harder - but that might have more to do with the supposed AI improvements and other mechanics changes since last time I played. I dunno.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 25, 2023, 12:56:08 am »

I think the BestTM way to prevent AI majors from landing on your beaches is to own the Merchant Trade Houses that control the seas surrounding your island. You know, like England Venice every major maritime/coastal/island nation ever has done.Who owns whom is not up for debate

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 25, 2023, 02:14:34 am »

The manual says you can't own them - they won't sell shares beyond 50%. You can influence them to dislike particular regimes, I think. But from what I understand it only increases transportation prices. So it'd mean you can at best slow down the zone spam a tiny bit (for a lot of investment).

In any case - started another game and the D-Day bonanza is nowhere to be seen. I don't know why everyone loved my island so the previous time.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 25, 2023, 04:11:33 pm »

It's been a while since I played Oceania (being in the beta kinda burnt me out on it), plus going back to school at my age has rotted my brain, but I'll try to remember how I dealt with that stuff.

First, re: majors, play on bigger maps. Small maps give you oceans with too many connected landmasses and too few MTHs. But even on a bigger map, if you roll a planet where a tiny number of MTHs dominate the seas, you'll still have the problem of distant powers being able to jump down your throat constantly.

One expensive solution to this is to force an MTH split on a particular ocean zone you're trying to exclude landings in - that can sometimes stop invasions cold b/c the distant power(s) will no longer have contact with an MTH controlling your neighborhood waters. Ofc, if the MTH you're splitting is a strong naval power, it might just eat the offshoot, so that is something to consider.

Buying up all the MTH's available shipping also puts a damper on other majors' ability to invade constantly.

Re: critters, aircraft and artillery hitting them at sea helps slow them down and kill them off, but mostly you just need to keep a shore patrol. That helps for the invasion stuff too - forcing proper assaults instead of unopposed landings makes things significantly rougher on would-be invaders.

I will confess that on a few long playtests where there were particularly ugly sea critters, I may have nuked some of them. If you do it when they're far enough away from the shore, you don't have to deal with any environmental damage even if you're hitting them with ICBMs.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 28, 2023, 05:33:04 am »

Jesus, what's with Victor's idea for naming the planetary ratings? Is Nightmarish Death worse or better than Unfathomable Death or Instant Death? I mean, I'd probably prefer the instant variety, but mechanically?
Same story with the rest of them. I really don't want to have to be repeatedly looking it up in the manual to make sense of this shit.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 28, 2023, 01:30:48 pm »

...a numerical rating in parentheses after the florid, gruesome description would be nice, yeah...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 31, 2023, 02:36:01 pm »

The new minor subcultures added in the last beta patch are kinda interesting. I'm a bit disturbed at how easily I pacified all the Warmongers surrounding me, though. Still, buying cheap machines from Scavengers is nice, and having the possibility of these sorts of formations come under my control if I cajole them into joining me is a lot more interesting than the usual minor fare...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 01, 2024, 02:57:25 am »

Ooh, new minor subcultures? I keep holding out hope for more fleshed out xenos, but this is good too.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 14, 2024, 03:16:39 pm »

These updates put me in a mood of maaaaaybe thinking about potentially considering entertaining the idea of having another go at MP.
Would there be any interest some time in the not-to-immediate future? Maybe try Oceania this time? Some house rules (cough*nukes*cough), etc?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 14, 2024, 09:08:44 pm »

Given how research works, you'd definitely be better doing a mod rather than house rules, b/c otherwise if someone randomly learns forbidden knowledge, they're getting hurt in a whole different way.

I'd generally add that getting rid of nukes (especially assorted tactical nukes) makes stalemate a lot more of a real possibility if an aggressor doesn't have an immediate overwhelming advantage; nukes having a chance to autokill-on-damage makes the defender's edge a lot easier to overcome. Soil filtration changes might make long-term stalemate less of a problem, though, I suppose. And Oceania makes it a lot harder to have fixed, easy-to-protect battle lines...

If you want a middleground between nukes and no nukes, you might wanna look at Pymous's rules mod. It most notably turns ICBMs into MRBMs (30 hex range), and atomic RPGs into superheavy RPGs. I don't think it's been updated to the latest version, though.

(All this does nothing to change my academic status, so this a comment from the peanut gallery rather than input from a would-be participant...)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:23:48 pm by E. Albright »

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 15, 2024, 12:56:22 am »

Does the game have Dominion-style MP? i.e. "one turn a day"
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 19, 2024, 09:21:22 pm »

Does the game have Dominion-style MP? i.e. "one turn a day"
It's different in that it's play-by-email, i.e. each player sending their save to another player in the turn order, and not using a dedicated server to host turns simultaneously. This means the turns can end up taking a loong time to go around if you have more than two players and the game is in an advanced state. Especially later on, as it can easily take an evening to process everything for a single player (and procrastination-related delays get multiplied too).
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49