Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82848 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame: Hit the skies and Steam Dec 3rd!
« Reply #390 on: December 07, 2020, 10:58:15 am »

SE is currently 20% off on the publisher store:
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/shadow-empire
Buy it there, just so Vic gets a bit of a bigger cut than on steam.
Are we sure this is true?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 07, 2020, 01:48:44 pm »

doubt it, matrix takes high percentage of sales price compared to steam, IIRC 40% or some crazyness, steam is far less.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 07, 2020, 01:49:27 pm »

doubt it, matrix takes high percentage of sales price compared to steam, IIRC 40% or some crazyness, steam is far less.

however, what i am sure is occurring is matrix makes a sale on steam for his game, then keeps the 40% and cuts him a check
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame: Mind the Donkeys - Steam Release!
« Reply #393 on: December 07, 2020, 04:35:35 pm »

You're sure, based on what?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 14, 2020, 08:41:45 am »

If you buy it on Steam, then both Valve and Matrix get a cut.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 14, 2020, 09:44:57 am »

I e-mailed and asked him which he prefers I buy it from, and he said Matrix.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 14, 2020, 03:33:41 pm »

My current game has rather different (but in some ways just as unpleasant) fauna as my last game's Donkeys:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This particular swarm doesn't look too bad, but the last one I took down was over 3x as large and took ~10k troops to contain it while an artillery regiment culled a couple thousand every turn. When we'd launch full-encirclement attacks, we'd take minor casualties, kill one or two thousand, and be forced to retreat b/c the swarm just didn't care. It lasted around 15-20 turns from when we started picking at it* with encircling siege infantry battalions to when we finally overran the remaining paltry 8k or so (after being repulsed at least 10 times prior).

Of all the things I expected to get out of Shadow Empire, a sci-fi strategic-level recreation of the Great Emu War was not something I ever even imagined.

*In the beginning, the Headers had a vile fifth column of human thralls reinforcing them and protecting their flank, but those foul apostates died quickly compared to their uncaring chitinous overlords.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 14, 2020, 03:42:33 pm »

My first (and only so far, got another game started up though) game was on a desert planet so I haven't experienced fauna really, but it seems every time they get mentioned on here it's in an emu war context. Absolute units, all of them.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 14, 2020, 07:53:28 pm »

I figured out a better way to chronicle the campaign in the Great Arachnocrab War against the aforementioned (one single) 34k-ish Header stack:

Pretty sure that doesn't include those that surrendered themselves to canneries after the final battle of the campaign, nor does it show the human toll in this noble crusade, but the numbers and timelines at least aren't completely produced a posteriori...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 15, 2020, 12:13:56 pm »

How about ohmu wars?  :P

The game sounds cool, but damn it doesn't look cool. Any patches to wait for, or is it just fine to try out right now?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:24:34 pm by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 15, 2020, 01:42:12 pm »

It's fine now. It can be a little flat, and it's not for everyone, but if you're more of a logistics than tactics person, it's great. I get a perverse satisfaction out of seeing iterative improvement in successive model designs, successfully executed model rollouts and field upgrades, and improved performance in the field.

There are some graphic mods out there, but I haven't messed with them much, and IIRC they don't touch the fullscreen event images, which IMO are the clunkiest looking parts.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 17, 2020, 04:50:50 am »

Is there a way to tone the number of major regimes or their type? Seems I always get surrounded by several militaristic majors who all gang up on me. Fighting that kind of conflict a few times is fun, but it gets boring when it is repetitive. It would be nice to have allies for a change sometimes.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 17, 2020, 09:11:28 am »

If I recall correctly the pre-game history does affect who the minors are... I think it also affects majors, though can't recall for sure. I can say I've generally had fewer raging antagonists when playing more calm pre- and post-apocalypse histories. (This doesn't necessarily mean picking the "Haven of Calm" history class, though that should help. Having more natural agriculture/hunting options for a post-apocalypse population can help here.)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47:28 am »

You can directly influence the number of Majors via the History Class options, reducing it to either zero or one mostly hostile Major.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2020, 11:51:13 am »

The most dramatic ways to reduce the number of majors are the Robinson Carusoe (no other majors) and Nemesis (one major is stronger-than-normal) histories. Take the first one and it'll just be you and minors; take both and it'll be you, minors, and one other major (who IME will be farther away from you, presumably to give you time to catch up with them). Past that, just doing a bigger planet usually helps, but it's still a crapshoot, ofc.

(ninja'd)

(Note that "mostly hostile" for Nemesis feels like "not a major with regime types given to allying with you" rather than "an openly aggressive major" - I've had one who was quite happy to sign everything I put in front of them as long as it wasn't an actual alliance-type agreement.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 11:54:24 am by E. Albright »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 49