Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82911 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2020, 05:10:04 pm »

Oh, right. True dat.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2020, 06:13:09 pm »

Well, the priests usually don't cost PP, so I guess they have to cost something  :P

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2020, 06:48:37 pm »

Something I didn't know and am now strongly amused by.  It seems once you get to some point militia start spawning equipped, using your designs.  I've got heavy combat armored militia backed up by the only heavy tanks in the nation.

Just wondering how that got negotiated out.  "You guys need to stop driving those junkers around, we can provide some tanks left over from production"  "Bigger"  "No, we have light ta" "Has to be biggest, mine has got to be biggest."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:50:30 pm by Shooer »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2020, 08:04:14 pm »

It is indeed neat, but I think there might be a bug going on - the manual mentions that militia can "produce (licensing and second-hand sales) their own versions of Models older than 5 Earth Years (30 Rounds) of the Regular Military." But I think I've seen militia units using rather newer equipment than that? Haven't done a careful track of it, though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2020, 02:12:15 am »

I've been studying how best to maximize research.  Mind is clearly the best, as it gives a straight research bonus.  Government gives BP bonus, so that converts into research, although Commerce boosts the private economy, which "might" lead to research buildings being built early on.  Government seems more reliable.

I'm not as sure about government type.  They all seem to have some way of recruiting the talented people to run the councils.  Until I know more, my preference will probably be to pick whatever government makes most of my starting leaders happy, since with this setup I'm not really listening to them on the other two.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2020, 04:11:04 am »

Just realized that the wierd one tile lakes that don't make sense are probably bomb craters. Nifty.

Then again that would mean they're 200x200 km bomb craters. I don't see why they would be lakes, but those are some massive craters. Then again, hundreds of millions died in apocalyptic nuclear exchange on every single planet apparently, and given the other ridiculous tech that the GR had, I guess those sized craters would make sense.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2020, 04:13:59 am »

Well, the priests usually don't cost PP, so I guess they have to cost something  :P

They do, cults have some debuffs as well. Eternity movement, for example, might help your soldiers’ morale, but also lowers productivity. Shadow cult can make your soldiers more deadly, but also has a tendency to kill followers of other cults.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2020, 08:43:09 am »

Cults seem to have upsides and downsides outside of their priest bonuses, yeah.

Eternity lowers private asset productivity; Mystic lowers soldier recruitment; Shadow causes unrest with "disturbing rituals"; not sure about Apocrypha since I've only just encountered them. Haven't had any Church of Syndic in my towns yet, so not sure about them either. May well be more of them.

It does seem like certain cults (Shadow, Apocrypha, maybe others) can cause religious violence if there's significant other cult presence in a town. That can not only kill cult followers (populace) but even garrisoned soldiers. Also causes fear, which is a mixed bag - less unrest, but also less happiness.

It also looks like they may have bonuses if the favored cult or something? I started with Eternity and favor them, which leads to loyalty bonuses "from meditations" at cities with significant Eternity presence and loyalty issues. Edit edit: may just be a dominant thing? My recently-captured town with Apocrypha cult presence is now showing that they're causing additional free folk migration through proselytizing and conversion.

Then there's the priest bonuses, which are all pretty good. Eternity raises morale, Mystic keeps readiness up, Shadow prevents retreat, Apocrypha gives +100 attack on the offense and a 25% higher chance to kill on a hit (!).

Edit: And on the 200x200 craters, near the end of the manual there's a section on design compromises, which notes several issues with the large hex scale chosen (e.g. a battalion unit of ~1000 troops can't really secure a 200x200 hex).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:57:02 am by Dostoevsky »

sunrakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2020, 10:50:13 am »

Takes way to many clicks to assign priests to a newly created army.

A shortcut you might not know about: when a unit is selected and the first button (the unit counter in the second box from the left) has been clicked on, you can see the HQ it is under. If you click the Strat button, you can bring up the Stratagems view and attach a priest to this specific unit from there.

The tooltip (« Play a Stratagem on this Commander ») is somewhat misleading. This Strat button is mainly useful to activate a Posture on the whole formation when clicked on from the HQ counter itself, but can also be used to attach priests when clicked on from a fighting unit.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2020, 11:31:01 am »

Felt this was worth sharing.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2020, 11:49:07 am »

At difficulty 18 that AI wanted to teach who ever came by how to make nukes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2020, 12:29:34 pm »

I only got Assault Rifles from that event, and I think it was a much higher difficulty.  I feel cheated!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2020, 12:31:09 pm »

At difficulty 18 that AI wanted to teach who ever came by how to make nukes.

Shadow Empire VR but the AI is Gandhi
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2020, 12:32:14 pm »

You know you can keep talking to the AI every turn? (but it gets harder each time)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2020, 01:18:49 pm »

Neat, thanks. Subsequent just got me energy weapon optimization, which only holds humor because I don't actually have any energy weapons yet to optimize...
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49