Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82939 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2020, 05:25:29 pm »

Also, man I suck at prospecting. I'm like 40 turns in and I ran out of scavenging w/o ever setting eyes on a metal deposit.
Could be there just aren't any metals in your territory. It doesn't magically create them, iirc deposits are seeded in the geology phase and you have to find them.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2020, 05:34:55 pm »

not having any luck with unknown world either. Rarely generates old worlds for me, and when it does gravity is super low.

My luck with the RNG in this game in generating planets is really really bad lol. No idea how anyone was able to generate Seth life and one person even had giant worms in his world. I guess some people have super good luck. I still don't believe anyone got worms on Seth, I think its a lie because never once has that happened in 14 hours in my game of continual regenerating over and over and over and over.

I give up unknown though, that planet type is worse than any of the ones I've tried. Literally 95% of the worlds are low gravity or/and super young worlds.

I wish there was a bit less RNG in planet generation, because I ALWAYS have the worst luck with RNG in games. If I had a 100 sided dice (in real life in some game my friend brought over), and all I had to do was roll a one. I'd literally roll a zero...not just once but multiple times because my friends felt bad for me of how bad my RNG luck is so kept letting me retry until we all gave up. I hate RNG ever since then.

its just annoying because I see someone post on the forums "oh yeah got a seth world with worms". here I am rolling nothing but junk for so many hours lol
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:41:20 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2020, 05:42:15 pm »

Currently playing on a fairly mineral rich, moderately colonized Boreas class.  Generated one that was warm and had a large tilt so the center 1/3 of the world has melted water through out the year and was a cold desert.  1400 years of human colonization introduced greenery to cover that desert with plains and forests.  The plants have added enough oxygen for people to walk the surface, if only for that pesky ammonia. 

Also the planet is fuel poor, only getting any from scavenging(no dinos to be gooified).  If I want to roll over these plains then we're going to have to go with ethanol fueled tanks.

You can get a hint on planetary wealth by how much mining gets set up during the colonization step.  I think age can have an effect.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2020, 05:50:25 pm »

So, when starting a game, my production priorities are metal - industry - food - water (if it is not readily available). When expanding, I take care to build roads and truck depots. Plus I build stuff like barracks and universities whenever the population level can support it.

As a result, I never seem to have enough industrial capacity to build mechanized infantry corps, for example.I wonder if I should be saving IP and not building roads, but then I can't expand because of logistics...and if I don't expand, the enemies do. Annoying problem.

This is where mountainous worlds level things out a bit, you can expand into separate valleys at your own pace!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2020, 06:05:45 pm »

Re: Seth and life, I think the main issue is how rare non-water-based life is. I haven't paid as much attention as I could have, and have probably only generated 100 or so biospheres over a variety of worlds, but so far I only clearly remember seeing one non-water lifeform (sulfuric-acid-based, on an  unclassified 8% water world) and I didn't play on that world because I didn't like some of the other stuff generated alongside it.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2020, 06:16:37 pm »

I reinstalled the game, maybe I'll have better luck. Generated 106 planets in a row of seth (actually more, but didnt start keeping track until I realized I kept getting super young cold seth planets), not one 6billion+ age planet and every single one was too cold anyway to have life. I think my map generation was bugged, so hopefully its fixed. I think I spammed generation too much in frustration so I just spam clicked and it then got stuck on cold young planets lol. Its back to normal now where I'm actually getting a variety of seth planets.

In any case. I'm pretty sure at this stage that I'll have to wait to play when planet generation is more customizable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:20:21 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2020, 06:26:08 pm »

Thus ends my first big boy empire! Four mountain valleys with a strong army and large grain supply. On the turn I screencapped this I had 2 metal and received 2 metal every turn and dont have much money so... RIP, can't even build a new scavenger w/o some extremely painful strats. Time to start again!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Also I have 3 zones here so... idk if that's overkill or what, not really sure what the best zone strategy is.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:27:52 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2020, 06:33:10 pm »

Anyone else is swimming in political points? The game makes it out like its supposed to be a scarce resource, but there doesn't seem to be much to spend it on.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2020, 06:35:46 pm »

Anyone else is swimming in political points? The game makes it out like its supposed to be a scarce resource, but there doesn't seem to be much to spend it on.

Political Points seems to be the one thing I have in excess tbh

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »

Logistics!

I think that all sounds more or less right? I find that the visualization tools - particularly the 'current points', 'preview points', and whatever the '6' key is that colors the landscape based on military logistics access -- are generally sufficient. Combine that with the general mantra that if you're having logistics problems, the answer is usually to build another truck station at about the point where your logistics starts dropping. Haven't had much use for supply bases.

The more complex bit about it is that you want to generally build roads sparingly - by default, at every fork in the road the logistics network will evenly split is distribution. So having a bunch of short forks can be very bad for logistics. There's a traffic light function to manually fiddle with those, but easier just to be mindful of road usage.

Edit: also worth noting that the total logistics value of your SHQ is quite important. In practice, this means you either ought to nationalize the truck station on your starting city at some point, and/or build a rail hub there. The private trucking station is not terribly great.

On planets, the defaults do seem a tad restrictive so I err towards unclassified and lots of rerolls. As you all have probably guessed, the initial star type + distance + tilt and all that have a pretty big effect on the range of the subsequent steps, so if you're looking for life akin to as we know it, it's good to aim for a goldilocks planet.

On Political Points, I generally have a decent surplus as well. There are some expensive and useful items (e.g. prospecting push) that I try to use sparingly, though.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:17:05 pm by Dostoevsky »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2020, 07:32:49 pm »

This was a bit of a "duh" moment for me, but it might be worth noting that if you have a reasonable-ish temperature damp planet with no native life but also no atmospheric hazards for plants, if colonization lasts long enough Earth plants can end up giving you a breathable atmosphere.

Re: PP, I've had one of my many abortive starts where PP was scarce - all the rest have been comfortable or abundant.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2020, 09:02:14 pm »

Any conditions to look for if you want more ruins/larger pre-war population?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2020, 09:22:19 pm »

A hospitable environment seems to help, but is not necessary - that 3.3bi I posted required envirosuits for heat. That's large planet size, though - and by far the largest pop I've seen, compared to my next best of 500mi on another large planet (I've seen up to... 300mi, I think?... on small). Still, probably go for water, air, moderate temperature, no 8 meter archno-coelacanth predators, etc. I.e., Goldilocks.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2020, 01:17:17 am »

This is where mountainous worlds level things out a bit, you can expand into separate valleys at your own pace!

Extolling the virtues of mountains is a such dwarven thing to do. :D All we lack is underground cities and alcohol as a strategic resource.

On political points, they are generated by the Supreme Council using your Bureaucracy resource. Basically, if you expand into too many councils while not building bureaucracies to generate more resources for them, you will end up running out of political power. Since the source material will be split among more councils, which in turn refine it into research, political power and so forth. I think the palace in your capital might generate PP too, though I'm not certain about that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:21:52 am by Majestic7 »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2020, 04:48:14 am »

I hope they release a demo. The price is nuts.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49