Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82921 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #150 on: June 15, 2020, 01:56:53 pm »

I want to play on Medusa more often, but the animals can get absurd if they stack up.  Though in one game they stopped being a problem once I had charged Gauss machine-guns on my buggies, though that isn't as feasible to hope for in the early game anymore.

I'm thinking of looking into modding the archive stratagem card to be able to give you bigger leaps in tech again.  I think it would be fair, with the new cost.  Maybe increase it to 5.  Right now paying 4 FP to unlock rocketry just isn't worth it.  The archive card was great in the early game and still good in the late, now it's maybe ok early and great late.  Rather make it great in the early game again.

Also want to see if I can mod it so majors start with a random advanced tech, Tier 3 or 4.  Nothing end game.  Want majors to feel like they have a reason to be, well, major.  Other than being the only organizations trying to conquer the world.

Also also want to look into making new world types.  Mainly I want to make a orbital/artificial habitat.  Rings would be easy to represent, what with how the map already works.  You can represent damage to the hab having an effect on the environment.  Thinking like a habitat that lost atmo pressure and water because a section was holed in a fight during the collapse.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2020, 02:28:46 pm »

I'm personally most bothered by the unit add-ons that cost like five fate points, those seem incredibly expensive for the benefit. Especially since you can lose them to RNG. In my opinion, those cards should give you the unit feat permanently with a small chance to gain per unit, like the ones unlocked with ideology.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2020, 02:49:41 pm »

The latest (and previous, I think?) patch lowered the cost of those to... 2, I think. (It also nerfed the random tech card, which I agree is a darn shame.)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2020, 03:42:18 pm »

Ooo, beta/coming patch the random tech card gets a buff.  Can get a tech from a connected tech group.  As opposed to the very nerfed currently only getting a tech from an unlocked tech group.

Also once you get recon 5 on a zone it reveals neighboring zones.  Which means you don't have to wait until you border someone to start diplomacy.

And worlds with little rain will have chance for more pop during world gen.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2020, 03:53:41 pm »

You can destroy roads now. Thats an awesome addition.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2020, 04:00:13 pm »

Woof. So I finally got around to fielding heavy tanks, and... is it just me, or are they as hilariously impractical as they often were in real life? I'm assuming tech advances will help, but with basic diesel engines & steel armor the fuel costs for just moving them around are staggeringly high - not just in the cost, but also the logistics footprint. I'm not even using the heaviest models available, but I basically get to choose between moving my independent heavy tank group or getting food and ammo to the rest of my nearby troops.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2020, 04:15:51 pm »

You can always detach a cute litte kampfgruppe that won't eat up your everything while still adding that extra punch where needed.

On the other side of the spectrum, fielding a pure heavy tank army must be hilarious.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2020, 04:58:15 pm »

I suppose heavy tanks are a bit like battleships in fleet-in-being -doctrine, their main usage is having them sit somewhere looking menacing so the enemy must plan around them.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2020, 04:59:47 pm »

This is with a tiny little 5-unit independent group (i.e. 50 tanks). To give a sense of scale... an example group of 5 buggies keeps a stockpile of roughly 60-100 fuel around, replenishing as needed. Light tanks, maybe 200-400. Medium tanks, in the range of 1,000. My first heavy tank group, over 6,000 in reserve. Moving them their full distance (and that's with -20% move mod thanks to the engine basically guaranteed being outclassed) costs over 3,000 fuel.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2020, 05:08:38 pm »

I haven't played long enough to see them, but I suppose you get electric engines fed with energy at some point. You could then keep some units on diesel to even out the resource cost. Somehow the thought of gigantic smoking monster tanks rumbling around while all other vehicles are elegantly gliding electrics is amusing.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2020, 05:45:32 pm »

Well, fuel is basically free*, so it's really only the logistics issues, which again are historically accurate.
Heavy Tanks were generally best used sitting in ambush or pushing forward when literally nothing else would do.

*Fuel is food, which is basically free because food is water (build more wind traps, syphon the sea, melt snow) and energy (solar power to infinity).  Your mileage may vary...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2020, 05:59:15 pm »

Also you could try moving them thru logistics? Not sure if that would lower fuel costs?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2020, 09:59:08 pm »

Yep, strategic move does indeed work - another case of what is often done with tanks both back in WW2 and still today in many cases. (After all, tanks today are still massive gas guzzlers.)

And yeah, I have no shortage of fuel at all, I'm just marveling at the logistics headache that using them is. (Again, as you say is historically accurate.) I like it. Also need to make sure to have enough production, as despite being free/easy to obtain that's still quite a chunk of fuel consumed in a single action.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2020, 01:58:24 am »

Heavy tanks moved around by train..hmm... you know what this makes me think? Armored trains. Armored trains and huuuuuge siege artillery guns. That is what the game needs.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2020, 02:45:31 am »

Are these "heavy tanks" truly the highest class of tank? I recall reading in the manual about so-called "monitor tanks". One can only imagine.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49