Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 82923 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Sci-fi 4x wargame on a procedurally generated world
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2020, 03:23:29 pm »

Epic with vast ruins should advance about as quick as slow with no ruins. Plus there should be vast amounts of GR equipment. If you prioritize your regular forces, the GR units can be regular units instead of militia, and attached to OBQs.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2020, 03:33:15 pm »

I don't think ruins influence how many GR units you can find, since you get them upon first capturing free folk settlements. One should be swimming in artefacts after a while, though.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2020, 05:33:17 pm »

The trouble with GR units is that I never dare to actually use them other than for garrisoning important supply routes, for the fear of losing them. :P With the exception of the heavy tanks, those are beasts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2020, 06:10:50 pm »

Might as well use the infantry, as they at least will eventually be available to your units.  I mix them in with my infantry swarms, figure they can add their attack power and hopefully my militia and regular infantry can absorb most of the hits.  Which is why I was so stoked when I saw GR units manned by regular army instead of militia.

Thanks for clarifying Il Palazzo, I wasn't really clear on how I actually got them.  Actually, I'm still a bit unclear on what everyone means when they say "artifacts".

Unrelated, this game is tough.  From experience and reading this forum and the Shadow Empire forum on Matrix Game's site, I'd say that this is one of those games where Hard means Hard.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2020, 06:49:45 pm »

Wow, that massive ruin. I'm truly in awe. My immediate reaction is to conquer as much population as possible before spamming recycling centers and building a massive army of mechanized apcs and tanks. Holy crap.

That world is just gonna be war between whoever controls the largest ruins and who builds the most tanks. I'm truely in awe. Also all the artifacts and archaelogical sites you can find, wow.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2020, 06:52:25 pm »

Actually, I'm still a bit unclear on what everyone means when they say "artifacts".
Artefacts are a category of stratagems. You find them by building recycling centres on hexes marked with little pyramids (i.e. a resource maker). I think you discover those by regular prospecting, (only?) on ruins.
I've never had the Archeological Push stratagem do anything, but it might be for finding those sites, specifically. There's at least one fate stratagem that gives you a few artefacts as well.
They're free to play, and if the few that I've had so far are representative, they seem to be fairly strong - but not overpowered - unit or leader buffs.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2020, 07:36:08 pm »

I got a medium world with 2bil pop, if anyone wants.  Regular dif, normal speed, corporations, cults, epochs.  The start area is a good area to farm, high rain and it's cold enough in the south.  Also in the middle of a decent city ruin.
Download
Spoiler: Preview Image (click to show/hide)

I'm going to have to take another shot at this start.  I went way to aggressive to early.  Keeping the roads open from wildlife cutting off a newly conquered city while attacking another farmer was a little much.  Was rolling out 50+ medium tanks a turn just to try and fight the animals.  Emphasis on try.

Also download for the Nuclear Jurassic Low Pop world.  Warning; 1/3 of your starting territory is lightly irradiated, it's not enough to be bad, but your capitol is in the middle of it.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2020, 01:37:14 am »

Did you notice that the icon for wind traps is directly from Dune 2? Nice easter egg, but hope there won't be any copyright issues.

Edit: So I seem to be addicted to starting new games. Now a jungle planet with hostile alien life and lots of ruins. I got almost immediately artifact stash card and played it. Now my first independent motorized infantry brigade is equipped with a shield generator, a killer android and an energy lance weapon. You bet those are getting destroyed by the first lucky hit, but maybe they'll cut some aliens before it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:21:50 am by Majestic7 »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2020, 06:01:30 am »

Anyone else getting crashes when clicking the order of battle tab in the latest version?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 15, 2020, 11:33:40 am »

Here's another populated planet if somebody wants to play on different settings (hard diff, slow speed, the rest on default):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dcg-LQr0mowvB_ng0KjbI6VBSdCuu5cH/view?usp=sharing

A large Siwa, slightly on the warmer side. Cloud forests, with lots of surface water and rain. Perfect habitability for humans and all kinds of farming. 10m tall animals roaming the countryside.
16.5 billion initial population, 125 zones inhabited (should be most of them). ~5 million final pop.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2020, 11:49:11 am »

Incidentally, if there's anyone who's a member of the Matrix forums reporting bugs, I found a major one but can't be bothered to go through yet another registration just to report it.

You can currently perform infinite artillery bombardments if there's a normal army that can attack the target. Initiate the attack with the non-artillery unit, and switch to ranged attack. All adjacent artillery units, regardless of their current AP, will be available to join. They will all perform a minimum of 1 artillery attack before reporting their AP are exhausted. As the initiating non-artillery unit obviously did not participate, they can now choose to launch another attack... and switch to ranged attack again... etc. In effect, as long as you're willing to slog through long barrages on a volley-by-volley basis, you can launch as many of these attacks as you have patience for.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2020, 01:01:37 pm »

Generated another 2bil pop world.  Start is probably the worst I've ever had.  Start right against the north pole, immediate contact with 3 of the 5 other majors, and the closest ruins is well through and past two of the hostile majors.  Was fun to watch the two hostile majors lose territory to the animals, until the animals turned on me.

New personal challenge:  What's the highest population Boreas world can I get.  Medium size, will have to roll a perfect or near perfect atmo.  So nothing hazardous, like ammonia.  Then hope that during colonization the planet get's perfected.

Why am I doing this?  I want a high pop world that I don't have to worry about 14m carnivore land squids and 8m top predator land octopi.

All else fails I'll get another shot at ethanol fueled tank army.

First Attempt: 72 mil pop, perfect to farm along the equator, no hazard for humans to walk the surface anywhere, except that over half the world is irradiated.  Start is pretty good though.  Good amount of ruins, little-no radiation, starting land is half green half rocky plains.  Either go west into the radioactive grassy plains or east into the desert.

Second Attempt: Little warmer, but almost the exact same results.  Right down to the radiation.  Start is in the middle of a desert.  Ok, so switching to try and just generate young Siwa.

If anyone wants either of the starts, just ask.  I might go back to the first one.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:22:33 pm by Shooer »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2020, 01:39:42 pm »

Yeah currently I'm of the opinion that the natural predators seem to be a little on the tough side. I understand that a 14m tall dinomonster should be tough, but why are their 1,400 of them running around in an army ready to blow up a whole brigrade?

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2020, 01:41:43 pm »

It's like Alpha Centauri, except the human factions can only think like the evil corporation in Avatar. No peace, only exploitation. (I kid, sort of.)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2020, 01:46:24 pm »

Also, depending on the rng, those animals can have pretty nuts stats. The worst I've seen had ~700 soft/hard defence.
Some of those in the world I posted above have both attack and defence in the range of 150, and they already roll over everything one can field in the beginning without breaking a sweat.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49