Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k  (Read 23527 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2020, 11:46:59 pm »

Code: [Select]
Fission: (0)
Fragmentation: (2) PM, Rockeater
Budding: (0)
Sexual (4) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom, Kilojoule Proton, SC777
Exotic (Construction): (0)
Exotic (Shedding): (6) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus, Skynet, TL
Exotic (Core Combination): (2) Madman, Glass
Though I'm very sympathetic towards Core Combination, I'm just strategically voting against Sexual reproduction. If it counts, I hope that "Core Combination" gets used as the 'fluff' to justify the Shedding method of reproduction.

You do realize we are pretty much the rock version of Orks now this way right? Not saying it’s a bad thing, just saying.

( Orks, Nids and so forth do not sexual reproduce. Hell with Humanity in 40k there are legions of clones, some lobotomies onnpurpose to be cyborgs aside the convicts who get that treatment as robo zombies.)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2020, 11:57:40 pm »

Technically, orks ARE sexually reproducing-- Mushrooms DO use sex.

Specifically, a fruiting body is comprised of the combined mycelium of two different fungal colonies, and spore production is the result of sexual recombination.

So, Orks *SHOULD* evolve from sexual recombination, and not just from germline mutation.  (The imperium is going after the orks all wrong with spaceships and disruptor cannons.   No. They should introduce rival fungal strains that cause abortion, or introduce genetically modified fungal strains that alter ork behavior.)

Humanoid ork forms just lack genitalia, because they are already (being end-stage fruit bodies that produce the spores) recombinant from the sexual interaction of their parent mycelial mass.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:00:14 am by wierd »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 12, 2020, 12:04:45 am »

Technically, orks ARE sexually reproducing-- Mushrooms DO use sex.

Specifically, a fruiting body is comprised of the combined mycelium of two different fungal colonies, and spore production is the result of sexual recombination.

So, Orks *SHOULD* evolve from sexual recombination, and not just from germline mutation.  (The imperium is going after the orks all wrong with spaceships and disruptor cannons.   No. They should introduce rival fungal strains that cause abortion, or introduce genetically modified fungal strains that alter ork behavior.)

Humanoid ork forms just lack genitalia, because they are already (being end-stage fruit bodies that produce the spores) recombinant from the sexual interaction of their parent mycelial mass.

They cannot do that for the same reason they stopped viral exterminus. It pretty much empowers Nurgle. ( Yeah bio warfare, he loves that shit.)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 12, 2020, 12:30:41 am »

Fragmentation: (2) PM, Rockeater
Sexual (5) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom, Kilojoule Proton, SC777, Iridium
Exotic (Shedding): (6) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus, Skynet, TL
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 12, 2020, 01:02:06 am »

Fragmentation: (1) Rockeater
Sexual (5) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom, Kilojoule Proton, SC777, Iridium
Exotic (Shedding): (7) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus, Skynet, TL, Powder Miner

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 12, 2020, 01:52:41 am »

Sexual (6) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom, Kilojoule Proton, SC777, Iridium, Piratejoe
Exotic (Shedding): (7) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus, Skynet, TL, Powder Miner
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2020, 05:18:16 am »

I like construction, but I agree with those that say that some manner of combining DNA is good for evolution...

Quote from: Evolutionary construction
At first, our lineage began in the porous rocks around deep sea vents. With energy readily at hand, mobility wasn't prized and all that was needed was protection from environment and other more primitive forms of life. For that reason, these primitive organisms sheltered in holes, eventually growing to integrate them further and further to the point that one couldnt live long without the comfortable embrace of rock, the inert matter transformed into a semi living shell. Reproduction was handles by releasing in the currents seeds carrying part of the information and energy required to generate a new being and hope that enough would congregate on a suitable surface, in order to form a new organism which could seek shelter before dying in the hostile environment.

This carried on for many hundred million years, until a revolution happened: life started building its own shells. At first, this capability was merely used to expand the little space provided by nature, giving birth to the myriad of iridescent corals that still cover much of our oceans. At some point however a coral started purposefully breaking part of its shell to act as a fertilization focus, giving birth to the first free-floating shelled organism. After that, the mechanism got ever more refined. As mobile shelled life spread and evolved, the mechanism standardized as such:

First, an animal or group of animals will start nesting in an area where they have a large supply of food and material - naturally occurring or previously gathered.
For a period of time, the efforts of the nesting animals will be entirely dedicated to building shells. Most commonly, one parent (henceforth the craftparent) builds one shell, but collaborative projects occasionally happen in some species and allow for greater and more complex shells.
The shell built in this way is completely sealed, with a cavity inside to host the future organism. After the sealing is complete, the craftparent(s) will coat it with a pheromone that attracts members of the same species to it.
At this point, any number of genetic parents can inject seeds and incubation fluid to the so far empty shell, then sealing it again. This process stops after the pheromone wears off.
If enough genetic material was injected, a new organism will start developing and if the nutrient mixture is appropriate it will grow enough to be able to breach the seals on the shells and finally be born.

In this kind of reproduction, the characteristics of the offspring are determined in 3 ways:
1) The shape of the shell provided by the craftparent, which will determine how the shell will develop in adulthood, the safety of the child in youth and the easy of it being born ( if seals are too hard, the creature may never be able to emerge)
2) The genetic material provided by the genetic parents
3) The incubation fluid provided by the genetic parents with provides epigenetic information, modifying which genes will activate and when

It should be noted that most often the craftparent is also one of the genetic parent and that successful fertilization of the shell is only a matter of quantity of seed, without regard of how many genetic parents there are or any required compatibility among them ( basically, no sexes)

So, eggs but crafted and with multiple parents.

Sexual (6) MetalSlimeHunt, mightymushroom, Kilojoule Proton, SC777, Iridium, Piratejoe
Exotic (Evolutionary construction): (1) Andrea

It is late to get this voted I suppose, but I wanted to get the idea out regardless.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 12, 2020, 06:16:29 am »

It is late to get this voted I suppose, but I wanted to get the idea out regardless.

The mingling of genetic material inside the shell probably fits in with the Sexual vote option. Ardent Debater promised "(Complications Require Further Questions)" so I believe you may have your chance to push this next vote. I like this. I mean, I do have my own oddly complicated take on fluid mingling to push out, but I like this too. The evolutionary pressure toward this form is a nice touch.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 12, 2020, 06:32:42 am »

Well, it might be possibleto have it later as a complication to sexual I guess. But it doesn't really have sexes and in theory the craftparent could by itself fertilize a shell (which would be rare, as it involves a much higher effort).

Ardent, would my evolutionary construction fall into sexual reproduction?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 12, 2020, 06:36:40 am »

Exotic (Shedding): (8) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus, Skynet, TL, Powder Miner, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 12, 2020, 06:40:54 am »

Ah, on first read I didn't catch on that it could be a solo act. I think any time two or more strains are mingled, that falls under the vast heading of Sexual even if the organisms don't have a familiar distinction of sexes. Consider the note on sexual fungus above.

As promised, a "short dissertation" on a non-human style of "sexual" reproduction, inspired by slime molds and others that bodily combine individual organisms, which could be considered complete on their own merits, into a larger reproductive entity.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:47:05 am by mightymushroom »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2020, 04:43:11 pm »

Exotic (Shedding): (9) MoP, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG, Taricus, Skynet, TL, Powder Miner, King Zultan, Puppyguard

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 20, 2020, 01:39:49 am »

Has this thread become a tomb world full of necrons or something?

*poke*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 20, 2020, 11:42:45 am »

I don’t see a tie, though dealing with the formation of life no doubt takes a while

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 20, 2020, 12:31:57 pm »

True that.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21