Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k  (Read 23639 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2020, 12:22:22 pm »

Thinking extremely long-term, plentiful warp routes is a danger. The Imperium or a comparable galactic-level power would inevitably end up wanting that system. System-scale resources and *maybe* even a nearby nebula resource we could conceivably mine out and thus render undesirable to anything unpleasant we might bump in to, since it's unlikely that even with good choices in a universe of stupid we could become a galactic power against the incredibly goofy predestinations of the galactic screwups.

Early contact with others is not a problem, it may allow us to get in some early conquering and become much more capable for it, whereas being in a sparse region makes us perhaps more likely to safely develop but might not be such a great boon later on when we find it more difficult to maintain a sufficiently warlike state to oppose whoever might want to come knock us over for our goodies.

The Warp is bad, pure and simple. Maybe with sufficient tech we could circumvent the need for the Warp at all, maybe not, but I really would not recommend a thin Immaterium veil for fear of the consequences of being attuned to the Warp on those (far too plentiful) occasions that reality literally breaks.

Honestly I find that this phase has a few too many options to keep track of, though maybe that's just me and my unfocused self right now.

Quote from: Votebox
Powder miner plan (4): Powder miner, Andrea, Kashyyk, Madman
Nirur Torir plan 1(1): King Zultan
Glass plan (1): Glass
Kilojoule Proton plan (2): KJ proton, SC777
MetalSlimeHunt plan (1): MSH
Naturegirl1999 plan (1): Naturegirl
Nirur Plan 2: Superior Soldiers (1): Nirur
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2020, 12:25:17 pm »

I'm a bit tempted to drop acidic oceans, as acid resistance doesn't help as much after we get powered armor, and it'll slow our growth a bit.

Hm. boring later on is a fair point, maybe we don't need to be fully isolated. I would still rather not be crowded however.
Do I have your vote if I swap that out? It still leads to a different play paradigm than an isolated and rich start.

I'd also prefer a more interesting home system as an impetus for exploration and expansion, otherwise Nirur II: the Evolutioning looks fine to me. So I'd probably be swapping out Empty Home System for Frequent Meteorites (trusting in the caverns to reduce a portion of that danger).
Every disaster slows us down relative to our neighbors, apparently on top of the evolution perks, and I don't want to be too far behind on a plan dedicated to being great soldiers.
That said, I'm hoping that the nexus will bring us some early traffic to encourage space, or that thin veil will make it easier to notice the nexus and get early FTL.

Barren + high-g does limit our home system space infrastructure even more than the radiation and thin veil do. I'm banking on that slowing our overall growth less than meteorites would. We'd still lose cities with them unless we spent the resources to build entirely underground.

Honestly I find that this phase has a few too many options to keep track of, though maybe that's just me and my unfocused self right now.
I see three main schools of thought: Isolated and rich, crowded and slightly less rich, and my new plan focused on evolving to be strong (and breathing oxygen).

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2020, 12:27:42 pm »

I see three main schools of thought: Isolated and rich, crowded and slightly less rich, and my new plan focused on evolving to be strong (and breathing oxygen).

I meant in terms of GM-provided options, not suggested plans.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2020, 12:36:40 pm »

A thought occurs. We don't just have to survive first contact with the Imperium, because on this timescale that's not likely to be the first time we meet humanity.

We have to survive: The first human galactic expansion ("Federation") -> The Iron Men rebellion -> The Fall of the Eldar -> Old Night (galactic warp travel collapse for thousands of years) -> The Great Crusade -> The Horus Heresy -> and then ten-thousand years of the moldering Imperium.

And we have no way to know in advance when we'll first be introduced to...that, and that's just human-related galactic disasters.

Fuck. This is gonna be hard no matter how it goes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2020, 12:44:26 pm »

I meant in terms of GM-provided options, not suggested plans.
Spoiler:  GM Note (click to show/hide)

A thought occurs. We don't just have to survive first contact with the Imperium, because on this timescale that's not likely to be the first time we meet humanity.

We have to survive: The first human galactic expansion ("Federation") -> The Iron Men rebellion -> The Fall of the Eldar -> Old Night (galactic warp travel collapse for thousands of years) -> The Great Crusade -> The Horus Heresy -> and then ten-thousand years of the moldering Imperium.

And we have no way to know in advance when we'll first be introduced to...that, and that's just human-related galactic disasters.

Fuck. This is gonna be hard no matter how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 12:50:23 pm by Ardent Debater »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2020, 12:56:23 pm »

GM question:
Can we write in minor perks here?
I'm thinking of a pair making our moon slightly richer, with the minerals visible through a telescope, at the cost of guaranteeing a super-predator evolves to hunt us. I don't want it to be on the level of a deathworld predator, but evolved specifically against our strengths and weaknesses. I imagine smaller tribes will usually escape notice and be fine, but larger tribes will start to see problems. Iron age cities might be able to be relatively safe, with enough investment, but we wouldn't be able to properly properly deal with them until around the industrial era.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2020, 01:03:45 pm »

GM question:
Can we write in minor perks here?
I'm thinking of a pair making our moon slightly richer, with the minerals visible through a telescope, at the cost of guaranteeing a super-predator evolves to hunt us. I don't want it to be on the level of a deathworld predator, but evolved specifically against our strengths and weaknesses. I imagine smaller tribes will usually escape notice and be fine, but larger tribes will start to see problems. Iron age cities might be able to be relatively safe, with enough investment, but we wouldn't be able to properly deal with them until around the industrial era.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:14:58 pm by Ardent Debater »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2020, 02:03:39 pm »

I quite like the idea of super soldiers, but I want an actual, you know, home system that's more than just our little ball of dirt. This plan can best be described as just trying to put us in the best position we can possibly be in without leaving our home system once we get into the space age...

Also may as well just stop lurking and actually get involved.

Plan Super Soldiers with the resources to do it.

Thin Atmosphere
Oxygenic Atmosphere + Crowded Star Region
Packed Home-System + Frequent Meteorites
Asteroid Belt + Thin Immaterial Veil
Cavern Networks + Sporadic Orbit
Mineral Abundance + Exotic Phenomena

Barren Planet (Warm, closer to the sun than us, yet its surface is empty, filled with naught but sand. 1)
Home Planet (It is our home, with our one moon.)
Mineral Planet (Cold, but not too far. Our 'neighbor' behind us. Taunting, with its bounty. 5)
Rocky Planet (Within the rings of the belt of asteroids that surround the harsh star is a particularly large and battered rock. 3)
Ringed Gas Giant (Far in the distance, a mass of green forever spinning. While the ring itself is thin, their are many larger rocks in its orbit worth harvesting. 8)
Rocky Planet (A moon of the large swirl of green. Richer than its smaller kin by mere size alone. 3)
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2020, 02:39:52 pm »

I quite like the idea of super soldiers, but I want an actual, you know, home system that's more than just our little ball of dirt. This plan can best be described as just trying to put us in the best position we can possibly be in without leaving our home system once we get into the space age...

Exotic Phenomena
The more I think about it, the less I trust Exotic Phenomena. It's an unknown ticking time bomb, and I don't think it fits with making our home system as good as we can.

I'm revamping Plan Soldiers, swapping the acid oceans to remove some neighbors, and taking the trade to make our moon rich and give us superpredators. It will hopefully be enough to jump-start our space industry.

Quote from:  Plan Soldiers revamp
Thin Atmosphere
Oxygenic Atmosphere + Empty Home-System
Warp Route Nexus + Thin Immaterial Veil
Rich Moon + Superpredators

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2020, 05:02:36 pm »

I will say, while I had my whole thing about “aliens isolated in their caverns looking out blah blah blah poetic” I find myself the most attached to Lack of Warp Routes, Thick Immaterium Veil, and Cavern Networks in particular; the factions that build tech to get around that ISN’T just warp drives I always find quite cool indeed, and building up a tech base absent the immaterium and watching it slam into a universe full of it sounds very cool to me. Like the Tau, or Necrons.

Also, I really do like the thought of sequestered cavern people, at least early on before they start heading out into space.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2020, 06:31:38 pm »

Of the twelve bonuses and drawbacks, there are seven that are sliders:
Isolated <-> Crowded Star Region
Packed <-> Empty Home System
Abundant <-> Scarce (Home) Minerals
Warp Lane Nexus <-> Warp Lanes Lacking
Thick <-> Thin Veil
Thin <-> Ideal Atmosphere
Oxygen <-> Exotic Breathing

- The ease of spread from breathing Oxygen probably should not be underestimated, even if the other possibilities increase our defensive rating.
- I'm personally in favor of a more interesting sky.
- I wouldn't mind a psyker oriented path, but I'm not going to insist on it. I'm willing to go material if it means a larger consensus.

The other five selections in each category are more like standalone features. They're a bit harder to quantify but that just makes them more interesting.

Quote from: mightymushroom 2nd edition: Room to Grow?
Oxygenic Atmosphere
Packed Home System + Crowded Star Region
Cavern Networks + Electromagnetic Storms
Geothermal Activity + Sporadic Orbit

[[Option: Dense Immaterial Veil + Lack of Warp Routes]] "lead us not into temptation"

Home Planet (~ .8 AU)
Habitable World (Cost 10; ~ 1.5 AU, similar to Mars: with a slightly larger ball that retains more atmosphere it could still be considered the cold side of Goldilocks)
Gas Giant (Cost 5; ~4.9 AU, about Jupiter at perihelion)(we have just one, let's make it superjovian)
Mineral Planet (Cost 5; ~4.9 AU, somewhat improbably at the leading Lagrange point)(probably gets name Herald or Harbinger or whatever local deity)

Few evolutionary advantages, but not much to slow us down either. The worst is probably sporadic orbit, but we're already hiding from the intense radiation of our sun so we'll take it in stride. Once civilization and technology develop, we have an abundant energy source to help us punch through the electromagnetic storms; material resources are not extra abundant but what exists is well exposed by the fractured crust.

Assuming we make it into space instead of cowering underground, a second habitable world awaits, rather on the chilly side but also with quite a bit less ionizing radiation thanks to inverse square law. Between that and the caverns, we have quite a bit of room to spread out.

Farther out yet we have rich sources of both minerals and gases to feed interstellar efforts. Since the evolutionary phase was (hopefully) straightforward we have only the problem of shielding our high tech to really slow us down. And a cultural penchant for heavy shielding will serve our spacefaring mole people quite nicely when they find out they are not alone.

I prefer having a system that has 2 Habitable planets, I'd probably replace the Immaterial for Oxygen, but oh well.
I will say, while I had my whole thing about “aliens isolated in their caverns looking out blah blah blah poetic” I find myself the most attached to Lack of Warp Routes, Thick Immaterium Veil, and Cavern Networks in particular; the factions that build tech to get around that ISN’T just warp drives I always find quite cool indeed, and building up a tech base absent the immaterium and watching it slam into a universe full of it sounds very cool to me. Like the Tau, or Necrons.

Also, I really do like the thought of sequestered cavern people, at least early on before they start heading out into space.
Got you both covered, I think.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:49:14 pm by mightymushroom »

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2020, 08:44:51 pm »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2020, 08:51:45 pm »

Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2020, 10:01:12 pm »

The more I think about it, the less I trust Exotic Phenomena. It's an unknown ticking time bomb, and I don't think it fits with making our home system as good as we can.
Considering this, I think I've made something a bit better. This now is more of a local Turtle style game. Lack of warp routes helps us as much as it hurts, after all, there's only so many ways our enemies can come at us...Also if you don't mind I'm stealing that last bonus and penalty.

Plan Baton Down the Hatches.

Thin Atmosphere
Oxygenic Atmosphere + Crowded Star Region
Packed Home-System + Frequent Meteorites
Asteroid Belt + Thin Immaterial Veil
Mineral Abundance + Lack of Warp Routes.
Rich Moon + Superpredators

Barren Planet (Warm, closer to the sun than us, yet its surface is empty, filled with naught but sand. 1)
Home Planet (It is our home, with our one moon.)
Mineral Planet (Cold, but not too far. Our 'neighbor' behind us. Taunting, with its bounty. 5)
Rocky Planet (Within the rings of the belt of asteroids that surround the harsh star is a particularly large and battered rock. 3)
Ringed Gas Giant (Far in the distance, a mass of green forever spinning. While the ring itself is thin, their are many larger rocks in its orbit worth harvesting. 8 )
Rocky Planet (A moon of the large swirl of green. Richer than its smaller kin by mere size alone. 3)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 03:13:01 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2020, 08:26:08 am »

Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:32:03 am by Ardent Debater »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21