Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k  (Read 23566 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Minor Xenos Species in Warhammer 40k
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2020, 05:05:53 pm »

Moderate

Don't want our species to be gimped from just gravity lol
I'm voting large. It's 40k and ground strength is worth some extra initial space difficulty.

Quote from: Planet Size
Tiny (2) NG, Rockeater
Small
Moderate (1) Lidku
Large (3) King Zultan, Chaoskl21, Nirur
Enormous
Spoiler:  GM Note (click to show/hide)

this is amazing, it’s like if Spore had much more freedom than it ended up with. The combination of guiding alien life’s evolution and creating a civilization, and multiple minds working, this will be very interesting

Tiny (3) NG, Rockeater, SC777
Small
Moderate (1) Lidku
Large (5) King Zultan, Chaoskl21, Nirur, TL, Glass
Enormous
I'd frankly have chosen Small - we could hypothetically develop machinery for the heavy lifting part of stuff - but failing that, I prefer Large to Tiny.

I'd like to note that it's been suggested that planets in that Large space would be the ideal candidates for life, as the higher gravity would result in an overall flatter planet, with both mountains and seas being shallower and easier to cross - and a shallow sea is also more likely to get more life, with the extra sunlight.
Not that that helps as much with the extra-radioactive star we've got, but whatever.

Small
Moderate (1) Lidku
Large (6) King Zultan, Chaoskl21, Nirur, TL, Glass, IncompetentFortressMaker
Enormous
No, I don't know how Warhammer 40k works. I'm just here for the chaos... and possibly playing a part in causing it. If you don't want me in here, disregard my vote.

Small
Moderate (1) Lidku
Enormous
No, I don't know how Warhammer 40k works. I'm just here for the chaos... and possibly playing a part in causing it. If you don't want me in here, disregard my vote.
Please don't Chaos. I don't want us to die in a maelstrom of mutation and fuckery.
Chaos is bad. Like really bad. Only 2 good things from the Warp.

The FTL and Psionic powers. Though it is shown in the lore races can be Psionic without Warp ( Nids, the Orks were designed to be natural Psykers to an extent.)

Also the only factions worth playing nice are Eldar ( who will sacrifice you to save their skins.) and Tau ( who will brain wash you to their beliefs.)

Everyone else including chaos will most likely murder us.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 05:09:53 pm by Ardent Debater »

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2020, 05:58:54 pm »

Small
Moderate (1) Lidku
Enormous

Large, twice and half again the size of Terra, the planetoid- now planet- hurtles through the void, in a chaotic circular pattern akin to the winding of a sling before its stone is slung. Appearances aside, the planet is stable in its gravity well and slowly but surely, over the course of eons comes to settle in its course. In time, the pyroclastic flows cool, the tectonic plates slow, and between the boiling heat and freezing cold, liquid water has room to emerge. The source of most life-forms, it's often thought of as essential to organic existence and it is, at least for those organics whose internal chemistry is based on carbon. Amid the goldilocks zone, some amount of moisture is inevitable but just how much is variable.

What amount of the planet's surface is covered in water?

1%: A desolate hellscape fit to reduce the Sahara to a paltry stroll, what wellsprings exist will be fiercely contested and the capacity to endure the all-consuming thirst will be essential to survival.
20%: What few 'seas' exist are closer to great lakes and the vast expanse between them is arid and parched at best, perhaps the sole comfort is that any life to evolve here would be used to the scarcity.
50%: As even a split as there truly can be, the oceans are small and anemic, but they are oceans all the same and easily marked continents are present, rather than a monolithic wasteland broken by jagged rises.
70%: Only a mite drier than Terra, the oceans fill most of the world's surface and insist on separating the continents in a vast gulf only detailed adaptions or intricate technology can hope to traverse.
90%: There are few continents, those that exist are so small and far apart that the course life's emergence takes is likely to be radically different from one to the next, though convergent evolution is not absent.
99%: Not a vast gulf but a yawning abyss, the only land mass to be found is in scattered islands, each bone-dry and pathetic, but beneath the sun-scorched waves life, sheltered but not soft, prospers in spite.

Spoiler:  The Home System (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:18:24 pm by Ardent Debater »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2020, 06:04:13 pm »

99%

Why not let's be aquatic sapient life, you don't see that much in this universe.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:08 pm »

20% We already have a harsh sun, why not go full desert species

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2020, 06:14:19 pm »

Code: (Water votes) [Select]
1% (0)
20% (1) Chaoskl
50% (1) Glass
70% (0)
90% (0)
99% (1) SC
We can be desert without without having the whole of the planet be connected. Having some continental divisions may provide us some interesting divergences.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2020, 06:19:24 pm »

I say 70 percent water. We could be akin to Humanity, just not as evolved apes.

Also if full blown aquatics we will need volcanos for alloys and liquid tanks for breathing in space vehicles. Amphibian could be cool though I guess.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2020, 06:24:52 pm »

(clarification: I'm here for the chaos that inevitably unfolds. As far as I know, it's very hard to play a game without something going insanely disorderedly.)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2020, 06:31:20 pm »

I expect that 50% gets us more resources and relatively easy pop cap+ through irrigation, while 70% gets us to the pop cap easier and gets us more varied cultures. I'd like either, but 50%'s probably harsher for the evolving people, so I'll go with that.
And don't go aquatic, that shields us from our precious radiation and makes it even harder to reach space.

1% (0)
20% (1) Chaoskl
50% (2) Glass, Nirur
70% (1) Tyrant Leviathan
90% (0)
99% (1) SC

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2020, 06:51:03 pm »

1% (0)
20% (1) Chaoskl
50% (2) Glass, Nirur, IncompetentFortressMaker
70% (1) Tyrant Leviathan
90% (0)
99% (1) SC
Once again, if you don't want me voting, ignore my vote. I'd have gone for >20% <50% if such an option existed.
Oh, and while I'm at it. I don't suppose the origin planet will ever have a name?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2020, 07:06:42 pm »

1% (0)
20% (1) Chaoskl
50% (3) Glass, Nirur, IncompetentFortressMaker, NG
70% (1) Tyrant Leviathan
90% (0)
99% (1) SC
Once again, if you don't want me voting, ignore my vote. I'd have gone for >20% <50% if such an option existed.
Oh, and while I'm at it. I don't suppose the origin planet will ever have a name?
we don’t ignore votes here, votes are the essence of a suggestion game, also, you could vote for whichever one is closer to what percentage you want, so if you wanted 25%, you could vote for 20%, or if you want 40%, you could vote for 50%, or you could ask Ardent Debator if you could add a write in percentage to the vote box.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2020, 07:28:46 pm »

we don’t ignore votes here, votes are the essence of a suggestion game, also, you could vote for whichever one is closer to what percentage you want, so if you wanted 25%, you could vote for 20%, or if you want 40%, you could vote for 50%, or you could ask Ardent Debator if you could add a write in percentage to the vote box.
I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Not changing my vote though.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2020, 07:38:07 pm »

I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Not changing my vote though.
and you don’t have to. I was just tossing possible ideas. You have no obligation to follow any of the, if you do not wish to

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2020, 08:47:29 pm »

(clarification: I'm here for the chaos that inevitably unfolds. As far as I know, it's very hard to play a game without something going insanely disorderedly.)

1% (0)
20% (1) Chaoskl
50% (2) Glass, Nirur, IncompetentFortressMaker
70% (1) Tyrant Leviathan
90% (0)
99% (1) SC

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2020, 09:03:40 pm »

1% (0)
20% (1) Chaoskl
50% (2) Glass, Nirur, IncompetentFortressMaker, Kilojoule Proton
70% (1) Tyrant Leviathan
90% (0)
99% (1) SC

I also took the liberty of preparing some Earth maps with various water coverage percentages to make it easier to visualize them:
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2020, 09:38:15 pm »

1% (0)
20% (1) Chaoskl
50% (4) Glass, Nirur, IncompetentFortressMaker, Kilojoule Proton
70% (1) Tyrant Leviathan
90% (0)
99% (1) SC
Quick votebox recalibration.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21