Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surprising traps  (Read 1015 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Surprising traps
« on: June 05, 2020, 10:38:50 am »

By "surprising", I mean traps that make loud sounds and have sudden movements. Creatures that are surprised may flee in terror, or fall off the bridge, or just have a negative thought.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surprising traps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 10:54:37 am »

Sounds like a reasonable trap (component) for the enhanced machinery arc. After all, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to scare the other trolls with a loud noise while you're grinding their buddy into a paste (or slice him into little troll bits, or whatever).

A concern is that it doesn't work well with the current pathing system, though. If you scare visitors with a contained undead along the visitor path to the tavern, the morons will run away, and then try to path the same way until you remove the scary critter or block the path (in which case they'll likely path around to the back and STILL get scared).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:26:34 pm »

Sure, they can continue to come back. This sort of trap is intended to be non-lethal.

It is not intended for invaders, but for wildlife.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 12:47:50 am »

If wildlife is just moving around semi-randomly it might work, but if they're pathing towards something they'd like to steal it will probably lock them into a never ending pattern. Note that I'm not against the idea, only pointing out where it might clash with how DF currently handle things.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 01:16:15 am »

If wildlife is just moving around semi-randomly it might work, but if they're pathing towards something they'd like to steal it will probably lock them into a never ending pattern. Note that I'm not against the idea, only pointing out where it might clash with how DF currently handle things.
I don't think there's any need to add to all 3000 suggestions threads "oh by the way, ensure your game works if you add anything to it".

Seems reasonable, a low maintenance wildlife deterant. I'd use it if I were in the mood for keeping my caverns open without having to worry about crundle and giant cave swallow invasions. With high-maintanence weapon traps further inside for the more daring of the cave beasts.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 01:21:10 am by Shonai_Dweller »