Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: The Emerald Inspectorate: A Bureaucratic Fantasy SG  (Read 8478 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: The Emerald Inspectorate: A Bureaucratic Fantasy SG
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2020, 08:32:35 pm »

Alfonso decides to head straight to the main office by the east gate, rather than chatting with the lowly juniors manning the waystation. After all, you are a soon-to-be Inspector and a Senior Deputy Regional Public Relations Management Officer of the Costaban Complaints Office- branch 001. You don't have the time of day to be chatting with the poor (but perhaps ambitious) fools who got assigned boulevard duties.

After a relatively mundane ride to the eastern gate, you tell the captain to drop you off by the the ITWFPMCR&PID office and wait until your return. The office itself is built like a fortress, mostly because it is one.

Built of limestone from nearby quarries, Castle Guleri is a testament to the revered master architect Angelo da'Maccini's expertise. An imposing citadel surrounding by increasingly shorter and squatter structures and bulwarks, it was formerly protected by a three-layer wall. The civilised armies of your people failed utterly in taking it by siege and storm. Ultimately, its defenders negotiated a generous surrender, giving its defenders high status in the Old Caliphate.Your knowledge of such history is shaky, although you know of people who could explain more.

Today however, the three-layers have long been quarried away for use in other structures, with Guleri itself being first subsumed into the growing suburbs of Costaba, and then engulfed by the city as it expanded eastward. It was settled by the ITWFPMCR&PID some two decades ago and has ever since, housed their vast vaults of paperwork and riches. Some say that deep beneath the castle are contained artifacts of the Father, obtained in secret pact by the ITWFPMCR&PID's governing board. Others say that the hidden rooms of Castle Guleri contain the invoices of a thousand thousand false allegations and nefarious bribes.

In any case, such rumours are not your reason for being here. You are here to conduct the Schmooze. As such, you hail the Guleri's gatekeeper (who is heavily armed), requesting entrance. She asks for the reason of your visit.

Of course, your reason is clear, but who are you attempting to schmooze exactly?

There are some middle management bureaucrats who organise the day-to-day activities.

Accountants who oversee the division's fine collections, payments and records.

The Board, who command the division from the top.

The Master of Horses who despite his name, controls the training of young bureaucrats as well as the care of horses.

The Master of Postal Logistics, who directs the placement of waystations, inns and the like.

The Master of Enhanced Inspection, who commands and recruits the Friendly Toads (a semi-secretive military arm of the division).

...and many more Masters who have their own little spheres of influence, some secret. It is said that several Masters inhabit offices behind bookshelves or paintings.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:35:03 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2020, 08:36:13 pm »

Master of Postal Logistics

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2020, 08:43:42 pm »

Search for secret Masters behind paintings and bookshelves with suspicious sconces

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2020, 03:45:18 am »

ITWFPMCR&PID's TMoEI

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2020, 04:26:30 am »

The Master of Enhanced Inspection
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2020, 05:59:52 am »

Search for secret Masters behind paintings and bookshelves with suspicious sconces
+1

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2020, 10:30:31 am »

I wonder if this is an appropriate use of the Call, or if we're not looking for someone specific enough. (Though in this case secret might just mean a bookshelf got moved in front of their office door and the department forgot they existed. I love this setting.)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2020, 06:46:12 pm »

You say that you wish for an audience with the Master of Enhanced Inspection and the Master of Postal Logistics, obviously leaving out the fact that you intend to deeply caress each and every painting, sconce and bookshelf you can get away with. If the gatekeeper could sense your intentions, her face doesn't show it. After figuring out who you were, she calls for a guide to bring you inside.

The guide is a young well-dressed boy, perhaps just over fourteen. Probably raised in the bureaucracy from the looks of it. He greets you in that...unusually polite and flowing dialect that people who tend to be raised by the bureaucracy tend to adopt...which is quite unnerving to your wizened ears. He knows that you wish to meet the Master of Enhanced Inspection and then the Master of Postal Logistics. He politely, but firmly, requests that you follow him. As he walks ahead, you feel as if the back of his head has conjured eyes. While you are quite sure he is not a wizard or priest (a child would lack the requisite license for that), you are not so sure he hasn't acquired a charm that would grant him such powers.

The corridors of Castle Guleri are dark, heavily carpeted, and dim - signature characteristics of Angelo da'Maccini's architecture. You don't quite understand why the ITWFPMCR&PID haven't updated the furniture or commissioned some apertures, but it is quite a foreign-feeling building nonetheless. Furthermore, you have a hard time making heads or tails of the path your guide is showing you through; everything looks the same.

A few corridors into the castle, you find a large painting drawn in the classical manner....you did say to yourself you were going to look behind these. But the boy....

Is this wise?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2020, 07:39:56 pm »

I don’t think we should mess with the paintings, we might risk breaking them

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2020, 07:44:25 pm »

Just follow the boy.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2020, 07:53:58 pm »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2020, 08:20:27 pm »

You decide to ignore the pangs of your heart for now and follow without touching the painting.

Eventually, you come up to a wooden door with small dainty brass knockers. Your guide says that the Master of Postal Logistics, a man by the name of Heinreic ibn Vazzal, dwells within. The boy knocks and a few moments later, opens the door. You follow him in.

The room is relatively small, but well-lit by candles (on sconces, of course). At the opposite end of the small room is an bulky desk, on which you see a neatly organised collection of letters and forms, all of which bear the sigil of the ITWFPMCR&PID. Manning the desk is a man who looks to be in his 50s. Balding but otherwise maintaining a well-groomed beard, he looks at you in a not-quite-perplexed-but-not-quite-comfortable gaze.

Your guide introduces you as Alfonso Al-Tahafut, Senior Deputy Regional Public Relations Management Officer at the Complaints Office- Branch 001.

Well, you're here. What now?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:51 pm »

"Well met, Master Vazzal. I believe there was a complaint from one Luis ibn Tariq regarding vandalism and damage to three inns on the road to the eastern coastal taifas and two waystations on the road to the northern taifas. I trust this matter has been seen to satisfactorily?"

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2020, 06:50:21 am »

"Well met, Master Vazzal. I believe there was a complaint from one Luis ibn Tariq regarding vandalism and damage to three inns on the road to the eastern coastal taifas and two waystations on the road to the northern taifas. I trust this matter has been seen to satisfactorily?"
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2020, 07:30:27 pm »

Henreic ibn Vazzal considers your words for a few moments, probably rummaging through his memory palaces, before muttering "ah".

"Yes yes, its been all sorted out. The matter has been delegated to the Superintendent in-charge of that district. Although, it is most odd that it reached my ears; one would think that the local office would've happened upon it first, rather than we at Costaba. I've sent some well-meaning letters* to the local officials to be more disciplined in their duties."

"But tell me effendi, what brings you to my humble office?"

*probably suggesting a paycut or other form of reprimand. Perhaps eating a rabbit's foot.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9