Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Gardening with herbal magicks!  (Read 23920 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening with herbs!
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2020, 10:19:57 am »

Inspired by I think is was weird or dynanonymous (who is also the reason I spent the entire autumn thinking "monster's got what mushrooms crave" every time I had to deal with a disgusting leaked-up cardboard box at work) I wished for a mushroom growing starting thingy and Santa delivered. It's a mushroom house! You put the anchor things in the picturesque house-box and they grow out the door and windows to maximise the creepiness.

The type of mushroom is a gray oyster sliceling oyster mushroom. It will be fun to see if I can become a true dwarven mushroom farmer!
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2020, 12:31:42 pm »

That's amazing!  All I'm growing is an onion I didn't eat.  It's amazing how much it's able to grow just from the body, but it's starting to look a bit sickly so I'm going to plant it in the back yard.

But fungi house omigosh that looks fun!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2020, 08:38:00 pm »

Protip:

After the spawn in the bag has stopped fruiting (because it has exhausted its food supply), it does NOT just "Die".  You can instead take a paper shredder, and shred a bunch of cardboard boxes (like from breakfast cereal), get it "just wet enough to clump together and stay stuck when squeezed, without dripping water out", then break up and toss the mycelial mass in your spent kit with it-- and stuff it in a new plastic bag, poke little holes in it, and then wait a month.

It will fruit again. 

You can divide and propagate the culture this way, and have several bags going.

Just be sure you wear sterile gloves, use sterile water, and keep things very clean to keep germs and mold out of your bags.  I have quite a lot of mushroom going from a small (less than 1/4kg) amount of spawn medium my sister gave me early last year this way.

If you keep dividing it and giving it fresh substrate, it will keep right on mushrooming.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2020, 11:34:22 am »

I'm growing leeks! They seem to be doing well even in the very cold weather.

I got 4 leeks, gonna make potat and leek sewp.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2020, 02:32:48 pm »

I have this potted aloe plant.  It grows well enough but the bottom branches (fronds?) will always wither and die off.

I also have a succulent snake plant that's borderline indestructible in spite of my neglect.  Recently a new one sprouted in the pot, I guess it budded off since the plant never flowered or anything.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2020, 03:00:49 pm »

Hey Dunamisdeos do you have any advice for growing mintacious plants like mint and rosemary indoors?

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2020, 11:23:10 pm »

posting to watch

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2020, 06:15:28 am »

That cat looks so pleased with itself.

Fungi is something I haven't tried growing yet... the most I've done is forage a couple kinds.

Going to have to redo my herb garden this spring because they got mostly devoured last year. I think the only thing I managed to grow was a few potatoes and onions. Even the apple crop was mostly stolen by the squirrels. >_>

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2020, 01:42:37 pm »

Hey Dunamisdeos do you have any advice for growing mintacious plants like mint and rosemary indoors?

Mmmmm I haven't grown mint before, I'm probably going to this year.

My Rosemary has been growing slowly but steadily. I suppose the same is true for any indoor plant: Make sure you place it somewhere where te sun can get at it half the day. Part of why I couldn't get anything to grow in my last place was I frankly didn't have a window that got any sun in it for more than an hour or two tops, because of my own positioning and neighboring buildings blocking the sun.

Rosemary seems ridiculously hardy, my still-small plant has survived being covered in frost multiple times. Long as it gets good soil/water/light I feel like it could survive basically anything.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2020, 10:16:17 am »

I haven't done it indoors (my mint plant lives just outside my back door) but as far as I can tell the #1 key to happy mint is that as long as the soil drains decently it's basically impossible to overwater. It'll get upset if you actually waterlog it, but keeping the soil thoroughly moist is all to the good.

I have an accidental profusion of butternut squash in my tomato bed because someone didn't know they weren't supposed to put squash seeds in the compost bin. Fortunately it seems like the tomatoes are managing to poke their heads up above the sea of leaves, and I do love butternut.

On the other hand, and more thread-topically, I can't persuade my parsley to grow. It's just kind of chilling, a little bit bigger than when I planted it, but not really thriving like most of my plants manage. Not enough sun? Too much sun? Not enough water? Too much water? I live in a warm climate and my soil is extremely sandy by nature, although I mix in a good deal of organic matter when prepping beds to give it some water retention and break the hydrophobic layer.

Any parsley professionals prepared to part with pearls of wisdom?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2021, 08:52:29 am »

It's a couple of chilis. Apparently you're supposed to start growing them in january-february.
Love, scriver~

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2021, 10:10:59 am »

Is it only a picture of two plastic pots with dirt inside?

At least it's a beginning! :D

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2021, 10:14:58 am »

It's a couple of chilis. Apparently you're supposed to start growing them in january-february.

Ah thanks for the reminder, I totally missed the boat last year.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2021, 10:17:13 am »

Is it only a picture of two plastic pots with dirt inside?

At least it's a beginning! :D

From such barren beginnings all growing things will stem!
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2021, 10:42:09 am »

So the poor mint and rosemary I kept in a glass of water then chucked into a pot full of rocks (no soil, completely free draining) have survived. The rosemary may die but the mint is thriving against all expectations of what a plant should require to survive. But it doesn't surprise me that mint will grow anywhere on anything
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21