Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Gardening with herbal magicks!  (Read 22238 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening with herbal magicks!
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2022, 02:42:26 pm »

I've read that people quite successfully grow mushrooms in, say, a closet, since it's dark and temperature controlled in there and you can just spritz it with some water every so often to keep humidity ideal.

I don't believe they were particularly legal mushrooms in that discussion, though.

I think scriver had a funky little box like a year ago that just needed priming somehow and then it sprouted mushrooms out all over the place, though? It was like a cardboard house and then the mushrooms popped out the windows.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2022, 02:54:36 pm »

I grew the mushies in the closet. Used shredded cardboard.

Scriver liked the idea, and got the mushroom house kit.

I really should grow more mushies.

In both cases, they were perfectly legal food mushrooms. (Oyster mushroom)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 02:57:22 pm by wierd »

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2022, 03:00:06 pm »

Oh, of course, thanks for the correction.

I've read somewhere else that people quite successfully grow mushrooms in, say, a closet, since it's dark and temperature controlled in there and you can just spritz it with some water every so often to keep humidity ideal.

I don't believe they were particularly legal mushrooms in that discussion, though.

I think scriver had a funky little box like a year ago that just needed priming somehow and then it sprouted mushrooms out all over the place, though? It was like a cardboard house and then the mushrooms popped out the windows.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 11, 2022, 12:52:36 pm »

Did I need to buy the sad-looking money plant from Aldi for nine bucks? Nooooo.

Did I do it anyways?

Yeaaaahhhh.

It might have gnats, so I've treated it with spray and sequestered it to the lit corner of the kitchen. Here's hoping it perks up neatly. I broke up the root ball of the unhappy Prince of Orange philodendron, so I'm hoping it starts recovering.The roots aren't super happy looking, but they're not, like, slimy/squishy, so it's not like root rot has taken hold.

Oh, and Murph Jr., the single-node propagation from the plant patriarch pothos, is growing another leaf. He's gonna turn four!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2022, 11:33:48 am »

My fern is against all odds, still alive. Still, I am plagued by my own mistake - I have been growing these red and blue wiry plants for ages, and I have once again forgotten what the hell they are called, and lost the thing which has their name on it. I am not sure why they are asbestos red or cherenkov radiation blue either, so if I cannot discover their true name, assume I have become one with xenonature

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2022, 03:23:03 pm »

My fern is against all odds, still alive. Still, I am plagued by my own mistake - I have been growing these red and blue wiry plants for ages, and I have once again forgotten what the hell they are called, and lost the thing which has their name on it. I am not sure why they are asbestos red or cherenkov radiation blue either, so if I cannot discover their true name, assume I have become one with xenonature

'S what you get for visiting Highpool first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2022, 10:00:40 pm »

I deflowered the hyacinth. Its massive flower stalk went saggy and droopy since there's so much less water in the soil I put it in by contrast to the straight water it was living in previously, and the smell has gone from pleasant to cloying.

It just wasn't going to look good any more. If the rest of the plant goes too, well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2022, 03:28:06 pm »

I got some of those already-grown herbs from the supermarket to plant, and they immediately died the second i put them in pots ouside.

wat
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2022, 03:33:54 pm »

I got some of those already-grown herbs from the supermarket to plant, and they immediately died the second i put them in pots outside.

wat

I have heard that is a very common experience, but I don't remember the exact cause.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2022, 05:20:44 pm »

I bet like, Lowes or whatnot has some that aren't trash.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 04, 2022, 06:16:58 pm »

Murph Jr. forsook the third leaf, which was halfway furled upon itself and somewhat split. The fourth leaf, now third, is still unfurling, but is most of the way deployed.

Happy third leafday again, Murph Jr.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2022, 10:35:35 am »

Basically you don't throw a fish in entirely different water either, too much change too much shock for the supermarket weeds. Either burned by too many nutrients, or the PH was too different.

That or they allready had them on life support in the store  ;D
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2022, 12:16:28 pm »

It is finally starting to become warm enough to do something with the garden.  Tomorrow, I am going to purchase barrier cloth. The risk of frost still looms on the horizon, so it is too soon to buy and set out plants. However, I can still get the plot itself ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2022, 03:39:51 am »

big plans were made, but mother nature is clearly going through menopause, with all the hot and cold flashes she is having.

went from 70F one day, to SNOW the next.

Needless to say, not installing barrier cloth in snow.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 20, 2022, 04:25:34 am »

Do the seeds need cold to sprout?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21