Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Late-Stage Capitalism & Crisis Thread [ALL THE WAY TO HELL]  (Read 16623 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Late-Stage Capitalism & Crisis Thread [ALL THE WAY TO HELL]
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2020, 10:11:29 am »

Hadn't heard of Burgerpunk.  That is mostly the reality we are living, but with plenty of cyberpunk elements laced in also, imo.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2020, 10:13:33 am »

Less of a likely future and more of a present reality, really.
Fair assessment. I’m gonna correct my post, I found spelling errors that autocorrect t apparently didn’t find
Burgerpunk sounds like a more likely future, pekople could write Burgerpunks that guess -posdsible outcomes of current conflicts/COVID/climate change

When I took economics, my teacher taught me that efficiency is inversely proportional to equality, that more equality means less efficiency.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 10:16:35 am »

When I took economics, my teacher taught me that efficiency is inversely proportional to equality, that more equality means less efficiency.

As usual, there is an underlying implication here that needs to be question, which most people won't.  This is how propaganda works.

Efficient at what?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 10:18:57 am »

More efficiency means less room for error, less room for error means less room to make mistakes and worse consequences for making mistakes.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2020, 10:23:47 am »

How do you guys feel about literature regarding Late Stage Capitalism? I've been trying to spread the burgerpunk aesthetic with a righteous passion. Burgerpunk is like cyberpunk only with late stage capitalism, no neon signs (just advertisements), no conspiracies or cool cyber advancement. Just crushing mundanity as corporations consolidate their power to sell every aspect of your life for the cheapest they can get away with. Burgerpunk is a town built on McDonalds. Burgerpunk is turning brands into religions and consumers into fanatics. Burgerpunk is 5 years of work experience, programming skills, language skills and anticipation of future market demands for an entry level job.

Did you read that book by the person where people have their companys as last names and it's about the Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2020, 10:24:31 am »

As usual, there is an underlying implication here that needs to be question, which most people won't.  This is how propaganda works.

Efficient at what?
I think he meant transferring money? I should have asked. I still have his college email, so I should still be able to talk with him

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2020, 10:38:09 am »

I know what efficiency means.  But it's a measure, not a goal or an end unto itself.  By "efficient at what" I am asking efficient at pursuing what end?  When someone makes an argument like Naturegirl's economics teacher, they're relying on most to immediately assume positive association with the word efficiency and not think about it much further.  But you can be efficient at work which is harmful or meaningless.  You need to know what is being measured in terms of efficiency and whether that is something you value in comparison to equality.

If pressed, I'm sure the economist would respond that it's in reference to "productivity" or "creating economic growth".  And once again, that would be stated in hopes that the audience would not question the underlying assumptions.  What do productivity and economic growth mean?  Do they mean providing for human need?  Because the very fact that it's being stated inversely proportional to equality suggests that's not the case, and the last 12 years look like pretty good hard evidence to me that's not the case.

Edit:  And of course, the point is to weaken your emotional investment in the concept of equality.  Because now equality means sacrificing something else which is assumed to also be desirable, without having to even make an argument to you as to what other thing equality is being compared to.  This is how propaganda works.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:50:25 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2020, 10:41:40 am »

Efficiency is the great filter.  All civilizations thin their margin of safety to maximize return until cascading failures result.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:42 am »

Efficiency is profitability. A system when they can pay as little as possible and make as much as possible while sustaining their operations is considered efficiency.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2020, 10:46:51 am »

I think I might have been the only one in class to think equality would be better than efficiency, then again, I never really talked with the other students about this, so maybe there were others, too. There really wasn’t much chance to discuss that kind of thing

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 11:05:45 am »

Less of a likely future and more of a present reality, really.
Yes! I use present reality to make burgerpunk. There's not even a need to satirise or exaggerate, real life provides enough inspiration

Spoiler: this is sick. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: I hate money (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: I hate brands (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: I hate careers (click to show/hide)

That is the essence of burgerpunk. I love this shit
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:07:30 am by Loud Whispers »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2020, 11:23:14 am »

It's blyatiful.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2020, 11:23:51 am »

Fuck it, I’m moving to Iceland.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2020, 11:26:35 am »

That was very nice LW

I think you would really enjoy that book I mentioned. I know it sounds ridiculous but it exists, I swear. I just can't remember the name and I don't know how to find it
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2020, 11:30:20 am »

That was very nice LW

I think you would really enjoy that book I mentioned. I know it sounds ridiculous but it exists, I swear. I just can't remember the name and I don't know how to find it
Shouldn't be too hard to find. I think once (if?) I am ever done with my burgerpunk books I'll post them somewhere in the creative forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15