Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking for judgement on a race idea  (Read 669 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
looking for judgement on a race idea
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:22:54 am »

For this mod i'm working on, I've designed a race called "Cursed dwarves."

Cursed dwarves are nearly identical to vanilla dwarves, with a few exceptions;

1. They have [EVIL]

2. They live 10x as long (1500 to 1700 years naturally; this is a curse because theyre destined to see more pain and suffering, and go mad, this way; especially as they still age, so they spend 1300 to 1500 years as elderly people)

3. They have the personality and mental traits of goblins.

4. They become adults 4x as fast (not out of accelerated growth, but out of apathy from dwarven parents)

5. They are no longer able to be converted into night creature spouses; their curse is too powerful, no other curses could take root.

6. Their race has babysnatcher, and some very goblinoid values. Plus access to "Evil" creatures.

7. They value metals off sheer utility; instead of their currency being Copper, Silver, Gold, it's Iron, Bronze, Steel. (Or maybe Iron, Pig Iron, Steel)

Lorewise, theyre Dwarves from before time, cursed for... some reason. Probably hubris. Their weapons are gonna be exotic equivalents to vanilla dwarven weapons. Even their pickaxes will be more specialized to combat.

Fallen races from before times are gonna be a common theme in this mod, actually; with a few others i'm writing. But what do 'yall think?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:59:00 am by Kyubee »
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: looking for judgement on a race idea
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 02:04:42 am »

Quite a simple idea, which is actually to its benefit. Having basic story attached is also a plus.

Giving them goblin values and personality seems cheap though. I'd imagine they would be more depressive, not taking joy from slaughter, instead being compelled to do evil by their curse.

Maybe some physical differences would be good? Unusual hair or skin color maybe? Glowing red eyes?

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:09:35 am »

Quite a simple idea, which is actually to its benefit. Having basic story attached is also a plus.

Giving them goblin values and personality seems cheap though. I'd imagine they would be more depressive, not taking joy from slaughter, instead being compelled to do evil by their curse.

Maybe some physical differences would be good? Unusual hair or skin color maybe? Glowing red eyes?

Thanks for the feedback; at the moment, I'm just getting the basics of most of what i want in, hence the copy/paste from other races throughout the mod's sentients, but i'm going to refine things after all my current ideas are done. Thats a little part of what i was doing with this, almost a cheat for mod-making, lol.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 05:40:19 am »

Yeah, varied values will effect place names in a more interesting way - without modification their sites will translate the same as goblin sites (Poisonwells, Vilehatred, etc.) Difference in naming can help a lot to make them feel unique. I like the depressed angle SQman suggests.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 06:12:40 am »

thank you both so much, i updated the race to include that and took that into account for my second cursed race