Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A use for 'golden salve' {SOLVED}  (Read 995 times)

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
A use for 'golden salve' {SOLVED}
« on: May 25, 2020, 06:47:55 am »

After nearly a day of mining away at the raw's I'm finely throwing up my hands and turning this over to you guys for some help.

The goal here was to add some use to valley herbs consummate to the difficulty of gathering them.  hopefully with a minimal number of changes or additions.

below are the raw changes or new raw's I've added

Spoiler: New Reaction (click to show/hide)

I was hoping that when this soap was used to clean wounded in the hospital, it would set off the syndrome via the  [SYN_CONTACT] tag and help heal in a balanced (IE:not overpowered) way.

my problem is this...

the Dwarves gather everything fine, run to the reagents to the workshop, brew it up, and ... nothing.  all of the materials are used up, but no soap is made.

what am i doing wrong?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:34:25 am by Tallcastle »

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: A use for 'golden salve' {need help}
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:59:56 am »

Your reaction calls for the product to be made out of the golden salve's "SOAP_MAT", but no such material exists for golden salve. You've given the valley herb a soap type, but haven't linked that soap to the salve itself.

In the vanilla reaction, the process works because PLANT_OIL_TEMPLATE (in material_template_default) has this line:
     [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SOAP]
which takes the plant's SOAP material and links it to the OIL material under the internal name "SOAP_MAT". Thus when the reaction calls for SOAP_MAT it knows what to provide.
But PLANT_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE lacks this line, so there's nothing connecting an extract (like golden salve) with a particular SOAP product.

The fix should be pretty simple: just add that line to the valley herb's extract, like so:
Code: [Select]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:EXTRACT:PLANT_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen golden salve]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:golden salve]
      [STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling golden salve]
      [MATERIAL_VALUE:100]
      [DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:1]
      [EXTRACT_STORAGE:FLASK]
      [PREFIX:NONE]
      [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SOAP]
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
Re: A use for 'golden salve' {need help}
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:33:55 am »

lifesaver  :) thanks!

chip in if you have suggestions.  I'm hoping to make all of those odd products useful at some point (mog juice, liquid fire, blood, poison, etc...) ill test the above until it becomes good for common use!

->modification 5-25-20<-
well, the suggestion worked for making the soap ... unfortunately using the soap doesn't activate the syndrome the way i would like.  Don't get me wrong, the doctors USE the soap just fine.  It seams however, that using soap involves the doctor grabbing a bar of "valley herb golden salve soap" then running over to the wounded dwarf and standing in enraptured silence for a few seconds of trance like stillness, then immediately sprinting off as the some of the dirt on the dwarf magically vanishes along with a portion of the soap in his hand.  Cleaning in the hospital does not involve any of the tags [SYN_CONTACT] [SYN_INHALED] [SYN_INGESTED] or [SYN_INJECTED] and therefore the healing effect does not activate when the soap is used.

back to the drawing board i guess...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:59:18 pm by Tallcastle »

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A use for 'golden salve' {SOLVED}
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 03:52:58 am »

Don't lose hope  :) Its a logistical thing, you need enough soap for all your applications without micro-managing it. Try setting a hospital zone with no soap slots or putting the materials for the hospital inside a restricted burrow zone.

I think your soap has a lot of promise, you could compromise to make the valley herbs or a weaker-sub-variant farmable because even outside of the hospital, dwarves will take soap-baths when they have access to water and their `grime level` is high, a common one i use is to let them stand over grilles in a ``bath house`` where water is pumped into a exact height resovoir, and then dumped out from below into the caverns whence it came to clean it.

The effect of the salve will patch up old wounds, on paper theory at least; it probably wont make legs grow back etc but mangled beyond repair limbs might regenerate to a state where the dwarf will be able to recieve future attention to it or rest/sleep the damage away.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: A use for 'golden salve' {SOLVED}
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 07:19:26 am »

Your reaction has another subtle problem: it's declaring the item/material tokens for the Golden Salve itself incorrectly, which means it'll likely accept any item stored inside a vial, including liquid fire.
[REAGENT:golden salve:25:PLANT_MAT:HERB_VALLEY:EXTRACT:NONE:NONE]
You need to specify the item type first, then the item's material.
[REAGENT:golden salve:25:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:PLANT_MAT:HERB_VALLEY:EXTRACT]
Furthermore, you'll probably want to change the quantity to 150 as well, unless your intent was to produce 6 bars of soap from a single "unit" of salve.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.