Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pet-impassable doors and your FPS  (Read 2624 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Pet-impassable doors and your FPS
« on: May 23, 2020, 06:24:40 am »

Crazy. I have my FPS and GPS cap set to 50, and so far I have not dropped a single digit yet. (11 dwarves, 130 livestock, not too many items).
I just had 1 cat and 2 dogs stuck behind a pet-impassable door with a cyan questionmark above their head, dropping my FPS a full 10 points to 40.
As soon as I made the doors pet-passable and let them out, FPS went back to full max.

So yeah, something to be wary of.  If you use pet-impassable doors, check them regularily for stuck animals failing to path out.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Pet-impassable doors and your FPS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:10 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:44:20 pm »

One of those bugs that should be at the top of the wiki and responsible for 90% of "FPS death killed my fortress in year 3" complaints (probably).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:00:37 pm »

Less severe, also beware of chained animals bug - in provided fort, 1 dog makes game take 15% longer to compute a week. It can also happen with a creature that was chained for years fine. I've made a script to fix it, but best pathing stopper remains being fully walled in.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:12:22 am »

Ive a ton of vermin in my fort. Did two Catsplosions, with dfHack, still have a ton of vermin, kittens cannot kill um. Now with a dozen or more kittens. I think kittens produce less door lag, than cats. But omg, does a clutch of 60 gator eggs hatching cause lag.

Ive got dogs chained near my levers. Chain has no slack, tho. Justice chains and cages, same. Is chained petbug occur when chain range dialed back to 1x1?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:54:13 am »

Its my crundle detector.  build a door by the caverns if fps drops, its a crundle trying to path in.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 12:25:49 am »

@knutor: are you speaking of designating chains as rooms? I don't know if that has any effect; all the examples of bugged chained creatures are with just built chain and creature assigned.

@pisskop: Heh. Maybe add a low-weight pressure plate that releases refreshing cloud of magma mist?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 02:10:28 pm »

@ff, yes.  as rooms of 1x1, placed near(line of sight) by levers. yes, too. also in spoiler, as meeting places in temples of full default size, overtop of already painted meeting places. dorfs use cage as a confessional, they sure like to mingle around them.

My bug with chain is removing the animal. Dorfs never come and remove him, must be a really low priority, animal handling, because they will remove chain, quicker.

@pisskop, how do you resist the urge to funnel your caverns to one door. I cannot break this bad habit of using dfHack and /liquids, to pattern off my caverns, into kill traps. Ive got everything pathing in cavern 1 and 2, where nasty monsters progress into 3 catapult and 1 balista funnel. Its wrong I know, to abuse pathing, but this version has a lot of intrigue, outside the fort,  I must absolutely preserve ea and every dorf to his utmost, to afford a campaigning army, that constantly bleeds off its captains.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 02:16:35 pm »

I usually use a bridge to manually close the caverns off, but will intentionally leave it down most of the time.  Most of the time I have a few entrances to a cavern.  1 bridge for general use.  1 or 2 exploratory tunnels that may or may not lead to the surface and have a mechanism to seal it.  1 side door for emergencies.  And finally I may have a few cisterns receiving water from the caverns.   Tjere are ways of making every one of them relatively or completely safe, depending on my mood at the time.

Usually, I force either or both of my farming or grazing to take place down there, so that I have some skin in the game.  I make use of traps and dogs and pits and the like though.  Itd be unsporting to not let anything in.  I often have weavers and the like who go out there at the least.

One thing Im less fond of is GCS.  GCS and, depending on my forts militia strength, BCO.  Blind cave ogres and Spiders will absolutely run armok if you let them.  Crundles will disrupt workflow and make a mess with all their blood, but ogres are significantly harder to kill for a yearling fort.

And caccodemons.  If there are caccodemons I wont even entertain farming down there, because its a matter of when not if somebody dies.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:18:38 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 02:33:21 pm »

Thank you.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 03:11:07 pm »

My bug with chain is removing the animal. Dorfs never come and remove him, must be a really low priority, animal handling, because they will remove chain, quicker.
Do you attempt to remove the animal by un-assigning the animal from the chain, or do you attempt to assign the animal to another location (another restraint or a pasture)?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 08:25:06 pm »

pretty certain, I choose none. or nothing. Ontop of that chain menu. Animalhandler prolly doesnt know what to do with it, without an activity pen painted overtop... betcha thats it.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 11:03:52 am »

Less severe, also beware of chained animals bug - in provided fort, 1 dog makes game take 15% longer to compute a week. It can also happen with a creature that was chained for years fine. I've made a script to fix it, but best pathing stopper remains being fully walled in.

fix/pathchain

pathchain.lua is a script for solving Bug:10564.

Like above, runs once, for use repeat -time 1 -timeUnits days -command [ fix/pathchain ] -name pathchain

This doesn't really help me understand how to use the script.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 12:49:45 pm »

fix/pathchain

pathchain.lua is a script for solving Bug:10564.

Like above, runs once, for use repeat -time 1 -timeUnits days -command [ fix/pathchain ] -name pathchain

This doesn't really help me understand how to use the script.

Save this code as pathchain.lua in /hack/scripts/fix folder.

Add this line to onLoad.init:
Code: [Select]
repeat -time 1 -timeUnits days -command [ fix/pathchain ] -name pathchain
The script will automatically run every in-game day.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:51:29 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 05:06:38 pm »

Thank you for the clarity.
Pages: [1] 2