Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 70

Author Topic: [IC] Remembrance  (Read 52500 times)

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Remembrance - Arc 1: The Game
« Reply #810 on: January 29, 2022, 08:48:19 pm »

Yava

Under normal circumstances she'd have taken such racket from a seer as an ill omen. This was apparently the norm though. Her being in the room wasn't going to change anything. Still Yava couldn't help but wonder whether the girl's power was especially harsh on her mind or the future was just that dreadful. Not knowing which was more depressing she sat herself down crosslegged just beside the door, rummaging through her utility belt.
   If she was going to assassinate a god, she needed to craft something exceptionally powerful. Something that would either destroy her before she reacted, or removed the capacity to fight back; the element of surprise was the only way she'd survive. The only way Sola would be freed. She still wasn't entirely sure how powerful Sun Bitch was, but if her gut feeling back in the chancellor's office had been right...

"I must remove that power." She whispered to herself, still searching through the pockets. A device to cancel the powers of meisters was long overdue for her, had been ever since that psychopath in the wheelchair had her at her mercy. How ironic that had it not been for Sola that day, she'd be short an eye right now and probably rotting in a foreign prison. Assuming she'd have been allowed to live at all. And how had she repaid that kindness?

Like a fucking coward.

Were Yorshka still alive she probably would've been ashamed of her. Then again there were a lot of things since her death Yorshka would've shamed her for, betraying a friend and panicking before an up and coming dictator being the tip of that iceberg. But she'd already decided long ago that as grateful as she was for everything her mentor had done for her, she was her own woman and by the Justice Keeper she'd follow her own fucking path. For some reason it still amused her that back home the mere utterance of such thoughts would've gotten her no end of sideways looks. But was that not what Yorshka had taught them all? To free themselves of the chains of the self-righteous oligarchy, to shun the opiate that kept the rest of the masses tranquil?

"Some damn opiates would be useful right now..." She thought as her fingers yet eluded anything of particular use that hadn't already had work done to it. If only if only. Something to put the bitch to sleep maybe? At least dull her senses enough to walk up and slit her throat? No, no focus. Nullifying powers, that had uses both against Kallisto and anyone else she'd have to face to get there. Anyone who mattered anyway. And besides, the maglite already filled a similar crowd control funct- Her fingers finally found something.

What they pulled out from the belt had to be the cheapest flashlight Yoras could buy. Barely big enough to fill her small hand, made of the type of plastic usually reserved for children's toys, it's entire construction only weighted down by the 2 D-batteries that powered it. It had a decent beam, sure, bright enough for Yava to see it even in the lit hallway as she flicked it on a few times to make sure it worked. The emitter seem to have a good connection to the power supply too, given no amount of rattling or test slaps caused it to so much as flicker. Those were the only redeeming qualities of it. She didn't even recall when or where she'd picked the thing up, had probably stolen it not long after getting to this continent. She would've questioned what the hell she'd been thinking taking something so cheap and worthless, had she not literally also been compelled to snatch a trashy necklace that- oops -ended up being a covert symbol of membership for an underground forge operation.

But she'd let her mind wander enough. Taking out her key she rested it's shaft against the flashlight and closed her eyes, quickly narrowing down the precise probability she needed to alter: The chance of the flashlight's beam cancelling any Holy Weapon effect it was pointed at. And it was of course, infinitesimal. She was going to be there a while, but it was fine. Didn't have much else to do and she was used to just sitting and meditating by now. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 09:16:11 pm by Stratos »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #811 on: January 29, 2022, 09:55:47 pm »

Kirari

The former Dame surveyed the scene from a distance, crouching at the edge of a roof. It was too late to save the unfortunate woman, even if this wasn't an episode from Marionette's memories. She could see the fear in the other monster's posture at the silhouette. Who could possibly haunt your dreams? Perhaps it was always like this, perhaps it was a shift in her mindscape. Mia had to know she was losing, had to know this was the beginning of the end, even if she defied it, fought and spat against it. As long as I don't make another mistake. Kirari watched with interest, morbidly curious to see this nightmare of a nightmare.

Lunete & Silvia

"Anything that is Lanica's concern is a concern of mine. Besides - why should I trust someone I have quite literally just accused of subterfuge and espionage." Feeling Shinko shift, and seeing the Katrian's posture, she unceremoniously deposited the girl (mostly) on her feet next to her. It was unlikely she'd come to harm at the epicenter of Lunete's power, but if she did, it would be inconvenient, and it was easier to put on the sorts of displays she needed without a passenger. "If what you're doing is so innocuous, then why don't you come with me to Ishma so you can explain to her what you've been up to, and what you might or might not have absconded with?" She hadn't actually seen them grab anything, but if they had, her seeming to know might put them off balance. "She'll clear this right up and there will be no harm done, no?"
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:25:06 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 30, 2022, 12:07:41 am »

Mia

Lightning flickered behind the silhouetted woman, glinting off the steel of her blade. She was close enough now that the light cast her shadow across the alley, darkening the already dim area with her intimidating presence. Mia hesitated, facing a confident unknown while her strength was low from an earlier encounter didn't bode well.

One more flash and another step, she was clearly illuminated now. Her dark blue hair was drenched black from the rain. Messy strands stuck to her forehead and flowed down around her eyes, gleaming red in the light. She wore a Katrian military uniform that indicated her rank as a captain. And at her side she carried that sword. A gleaming silver blade with a turquoise gem embedded in the fuller. Mia hadn't recognized it back then, but it was unmistakable now.

No less for Kirari, who immediately recognized Monika's mother. The woman who always burnt cookies, posed dramatically with her sword when she thought no one was looking, and continued playing children's songs while cleaning well after her daughter became too old for them.

She raised her blade beside her and charged, facing Mia with relentless determination blazing in her eyes.
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #813 on: January 30, 2022, 09:51:42 am »

Kirari

Monika's mother? What is Kellen doing here- Kirari almost slapped herself. Kellen Sydow was more "her friend's mother" than "one of Katria's most famous heroes" to her, and it took a moment to reconcile the two. Like mother like daughter, it seems. Kellen had menaced Marionette, then Monika had thrown her back once more. It fell to Kirari, then, to ensure she didn't return to menace another generation of that family. Or anyone else, for that matter. She elected to watch and wait; if this was a memory, then Kellen was in no danger, and Kirari could simply catch the fleeing Marionette.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 30, 2022, 12:57:16 pm »

Jessie

There are- there are some things you need to just do.

The gun was in her hand.

You can't think about them. Or you won't do them.

She wasn't sure when she took it. It wasn't there, and then it was.

The second thought will stop you if you let it.

She felt numb. If she was feeling at all. Was she laughing? She couldn't tell.

You have to just get it done with.

She heard- something.

The gun fell to the ground.

So did Jessie.

Beside her were five holes in the ground, still smoking.

Tears ran down her face.

"You should have-"
She could barely get the words out between sobs.
"You should have killed me before. I'm- I'm fucking worthless."

She's laughing. It's not funny, but she can't stop.

"I- I ran away. I ran away at the first opportunity. I'm just a- just a coward."

She's not sure where she's looking. It wasn't registering.

"What did I think I was going to do? What? Single-handedly topple Neridus? Like I even tried that, instead of stealing whatever to feed my own sense of self-importance?"

Anger and bitterness bled into her voice. It was pretty clear where it was directed.

"I did nothing to help. I accomplished nothing. Everything I've ever said has been nothing but garbage."

She went silent. She could feel everything just... drain away.
She was curled into herself. Her knees were wet with tears, but she wasn't willing to move her face away from them.
She couldn't decide if the world was too loud or too silent. All she could hear was herself.
She tried to build herself up with a mountain of trash. Of course it crumbled. It couldn't not.

Her voice was small. Barely a whisper.
"Just... take good care of Farore. She deserves something better. More than I do."

Silvia

Rule 1: Do not admit to any wrongdoing that you do not absolutely have to admit to.

Silvia was also pretty sure that the woman had the relationship between trust and accusations of subterfuge and espionage backwards.

She eyed the girl from the records room worriedly. She was thoroughly skeptical that she was ready to be back on her feet.
Damnit Silvia focus.

Well, if they searched Mirala, they'd find the meister dossier that Silvia found. Which would be decidedly less than ideal. But that assumed they actually did a full search, which was... she wasn't sure how likely it was, or how much weight the words of the madwoman in front of them had. The only other thing she'd read about was the Eden cult which was probably not overly-sensitive information? She hoped.

Either way, the call wasn't hers to make.

And Mirala was in front of her so she couldn't give her a glance, and there was a hostile almost-definitely-a-meister staring at her so she couldn't just whisper because that would be suspicious.

So she just talked. Not loudly, but not so quietly that it seemed like she was hiding something. Quiet enough that it was clear she wasn't talking at the madwoman.
"I can't think of any reason not to?"
A suggestion, and a question together.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 30, 2022, 03:17:11 pm »

Jessie

Adia seemed surprised by Jessie's reaction, but she didn't say anything. She just watched the former thief curl into a useless ball of failure. Her smile was gone, but the gentleness was still there in her new look of pity. After Jessie started to calm down a bit, she finally spoke.

"Dammit, I'm too fucking soft." she said with a sigh. She knelt down and helped Jessie sit up. Then she reached into her cloak again. "Teya's going to kill me for this." she groaned, "At least if Lali doesn't get to me first. You've lost your shot here, but if you want a second chance, I know some people who might be strong enough to help you achieve your goal. It's going to take some serious fucking commitment though." Adia pulled her hand out of her cloak and took Jessie's hand with her other. "Alice Golden," she stressed the fake name, "will you marry me?" The hand from her cloak revealed a silver ring with a black gem, which she presented to Jessie as evidence of how real her proposal was.

As much of a joker as Adia could be, Jessie couldn't detect any hint of humor in any of her features anywhere. For whatever absurd reason, she was entirely serious.

Yava

After three hours, Yava had raised the probability from "literally impossible" to somewhere around the "fat chance in hell" range, if she was being generous. She could have continued for some time longer with equally nonexistent progress, but Siren had finally gone quiet. There seemed to be some kind of ruckus stirring on the ship around them, but Yava didn't understand enough pirate-speak to parse what it was exactly. The name "Farsign" being mentioned once or twice did give her a bit of a chill though.

Lunete and Silvia

Mirala smirked knowingly. "While I've no issue returning to Ishma, I'm afraid I have to throw your mistrust back in your face." she said confidently, "How should we know that either of you can be trusted? Maybe you're agents of some third party, and you intend to kidnap us and hold us for ransom. Please show me some evidence of your authority, then I'll gladly return with you."

Meanwhile, a tired, confused, and barely-standing Shinko was startled into existence by Mirala's accusation. "Uhhhh, Lunete? Wh-what are we doing?" she asked nervously.

Monika

As Saro's charred corpse crumpled to pieces, Monika felt Sally's power slowly drain away. The fight was over now, she'd won. As she surveyed the area, she noticed that the battle proper had moved rather far into the distance. Miko was also fleeing. It wouldn't be difficult for Monika to chase down either Miko or the swaths of enlisted, but it would take her away from the rest of the Wrath of God. At the very least it would be good for her to check in with her squad before trying to chase a fight. And if she chose not to fight anymore this time, no one would blame her.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 30, 2022, 03:28:49 pm »

Estela

So, things were going some kind of way. It was a battlefield of course, and those were never quiet - but there was battlefield noise, and then there was this. Estela had set them rushing back to camp and they'd been well on their way when, back where the fighting was going on, there was a set of thunderbolts behind them. Sure, Lily's still fighting, that makes sense. The thunderbolt of black lightning, on the other hand, was rather more dramatic. Instinctively she'd ducked to cover while waiting for the ringing to stop.

She clicked the radio on. "Iona, come in. You still alive after whatever the hell that was?" she called. She'd recovered quickly enough and kept moving - nothing they could do about that hellhole of a fight from here. "If you can hear me and can move, get out of there, get back to camp if you can."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 08:43:04 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 30, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »

Yava

She'd almost forgotten how much of a pain it was to alter something so far removed the probability in question. So much easier to just find something extremely unlikely at worst and work from there, but uh... that wasn't really an option in this case, so she was working from scratch whether she liked it or not. To tell the truth she'd hardly noticed the time passing, though, the only thing having broken her out of her trance being the subtle change in the ambiance. Namely it was the fact that the incessant screaming had stopped and the name of everyone's favorite group of assassins and information brokers on this continent now seemed to be on people's tongues. Sighing, she stowed the flashlight and got to her feet, knowing it was a project she'd clearly have to complete later.

After listening closer to make sure there were no sounds of combat, she slowly inched open Siren's door and peaked inside.
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 30, 2022, 04:21:45 pm »

Yava

Unfortunately for Yava, Siren was still dreaming.

The girl's torso had opened up, revealing her chest cavity and the gory, nonsensical holy weapon that had replaced most of it. Extending out of this grotesque, pulsating mess of flesh and metal was a spire of sorts. And atop the spire sat an oversized eyeball housed within a crystal orb. It flicked its gaze around in all directions, as if watching something Yava couldn't see.

Before Yava's very eyes, the weapon (organism?) retracted downwards, her chest closing around it. A few moments later, Siren's eyes flickered open and she stretched herself out with a yawn. She noticed Yava immediately and rushed to cover her chest with a blanket before sitting up. "Oh, you're here." she said, embarrassed, "I thought you said you weren't going to watch?"
Defile Circles Discord

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 30, 2022, 04:35:36 pm »

Yava
The color had drained from her face and she unconsciously started murmuring prayers she didn't even know she still remembered. The girl's words were the only thing that broke her away from the visages of abject horror she'd just experienced.

"I-I..." The thief stammered and shook her head, trying desperately to bring herself back to the meditative she'd just left not even two minutes ago. Goddesses knew she fucking needed it at the moment. "I heard things go quiet. Figured I would... check in. I see I was too hasty, sorry to interrupt."
   She moved to close the door, maybe wretch in her mouth a little, but stopped just short of both as she glanced back at Siren. "Does that... hurt, by any chance?"

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2022, 05:34:27 pm »

Lunete & Silvia

A manic grin flashed across Lunete's face. "You, my erstwhile companion, are leaving to visit the physician after whatever this duo did to you back in the filing room." Shinko was useful for many things; it was for that reason that it was best she be kept out of this situation where she was not. "I, however, am going to be cordially encouraging our guests to follow me back to Ishma." She began to slowly walk at the pair of Katrians. "Trust me, friends, it will be much easier for us all if you simply follow me back. If you need proof. . ." Lunete chuckled. ". . . well, you can just use what happens if you continue to be difficult." She watched them with both her living eye and her crystalline one, waiting for her power to wrap itself around them and tie them down for her. Ideally, the older one would keep arguing with her; it'd give Lunete more time to chip away at her judgment.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 30, 2022, 05:54:21 pm »

Lunete and Silvia

Mirala punched Lunete in the face.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #822 on: January 30, 2022, 06:06:42 pm »

Lunete and Silvia

Lunete's head snapped backward, partially from the force of the blow and partially because, of all the responses she had expected, a fist abruptly appearing in front of her face and colliding with it was at the very bottom. Mostly because she hadn't known it was possible. It also hurt. Like, a lot. It was the first time in years she'd taken a hit at full power, and as it turned out, she was very much not used to it any more. "By Allia's unwashed brazier, what-" She shook her head, blinking her watering eyes and growling in frustration. "Don't make this difficult, damn you, one hit isn't nearly enough to make me give this up." She started her approach to the Katrians once again, this time moving faster. . . and keeping a careful eye for wayward limbs.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 30, 2022, 06:07:55 pm »

Silvia

Silvia's eyes flew wide.
"Mirala what the fuck-"
She scrambled to try to grab her CO and pull her away from the- from Lunete, apparently. Who she glared at.

This is what happens when people can't fucking keep their hostility in check.

"We are all going to Ishma, right now."
Her voice was ice cold.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 30, 2022, 06:32:21 pm »

Lunete and Silvia

"Silvia, get back." Mirala said calmly, "I'll handle this."

She drew her fist back and the earthen shell on her arm crumble to nothing. Another shell appeared around her leg as it displaced behind Lunete, kicking her forward into a gut punch. Both disappeared from around Lunete as quickly as they appeared. Mirala fell back into her defensive stance, waiting to see if her attacks were enough to dispel Lunete's willingness to fight.
Defile Circles Discord
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 70