Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working scales as armor and improving megabeast scale to be on par with candy  (Read 1229 times)

upsetpanini1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any tips on this? I'm a little stuck.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

1) In the material_template_default.txt add the [SHELL] (it might also need the [ITEMS_HARD], [ITEMS_SCALLED]) token under the entry for the scales. This should allow any type of scales to be worked with the vanilla reactions for shells. The alternative would be to add custom reactions for each armor part that use scales as a reagent*.

2) Again in the material_template_default.txt make a duplicate of the scale template (rename to something different like SCALE_TEMPLATE_MEGABEAST or whatever you want as long as it's not the same name as something else), then change the properties to be the same as those of adamantine. Add the relevant tokens for the reactions ( [SHELL], [ITEMS_HARD],...) and then you'll have to assign this scale template to the relevant megabeasts by changing the entry for the old scale template to that of the new (iirc megabeasts' raws are in the creature_standard.txt).

*if you decide to go with the custom reactions it will be better if you use a reaction class token so that the same reactions can work with both types of scales. Also custom reactions must be added to your civ (in the enity_default.txt).

I assume that you have read the wiki modding guide, but if you haven't here is the link.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

upsetpanini1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How would I go about making these custom things be worked at a metalsmith's forge but require 1 steel bar each? Like dragon scale mail requiring 1 scale and 1 steel bar

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then you'll have to use custom reactions. More info here

Here is an example for forging a suit of dragon scale mail. Do note that this is just one of the ways to make it work, there are probably other ways to set those reactions so feel free to experiment.

A bit of explanation:
1)This should consume 1 bar of steel and 1 dragon scale and will produce mail shirt with the material properties of the scales.
2)The [ANY_SHELL_MATERIAL] token allows for any type of shell to be used in said reaction, so in order narrow it down to scales I'm using a reaction class token that coresponds to the specific items that I want it to use. Now in order for the reaction class to work, you 'll have to also give the relevant token to the relevant scales template.

[REACTION:SCALE_ARMOR]
   [NAME:forge scale armor]
   [BUILDING:METALSMITH:NONE]
   [REAGENT:METAL:150:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL]
   [REAGENT:SCALE:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [USE_BODY_COMPONENT][ANY_SHELL_MATERIAL][UNROTTEN][REACTION_CLASS:SCALES]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:SCALE:NONE]
   [FUEL]
   [SKILL:FORGE_ARMOR]

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

upsetpanini1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, last two questions (thank you kindly for all your help, it's been a lifesaver):

1. If I give the reaction permission to my civ, does that mean my civ can rock up to my fortress in dragonscale armor?

2. How do I make it so dragons/hydras can possess the scales that I desire? The tag I've got for my scales is [SCALE_TEMPLATE_MEGABEAST], and I've done everything you've suggested. I just wanna make 100% sure this works.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) No, custom reactions are for the player's fort only. Civ wide access is a bit...tricky and I'm afraid I don't now enough to give you a definitive answer.

As far as I know, adding [SCALED] to say mail shirts*, would allow any civ with access to mail shirts to make them out of shells just like how [METAL] allows them to make them using armor grade metals. Now for metal armor that seems to be enough for enemy soldiers or certain visitor to show up wearing those but I'm afraid I've never noticed anyone wearing any of the shell/bone armor pieces that are already availbe in vanilla DF so I'm not sure if it's possible or not or if there are other restrictions.

* This would also allow you to make "shell" mail armor at your craftsdwarf's workshop using only shell materials.

2) in creature_standard.txt look for the entries for dragon/hydra. In each of those find the entry [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] and change it to [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE_MEGABEAST].

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Double post, because I made a mistake in the previous one!

In order to change the dragon scale material to the new one, you have to change [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE] to [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE_MEGABEAST] not  the [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE....].

upsetpanini1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I should use material template under both [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN] fields (i.e STANDARD_MATERIALS and STANDARD_TISSUES)? I'm having an issue where butchering dragons/hydras (yes I've genned several test worlds) yields no scales at all

I dunno if I should just make my new scale an inorganic or something? It is called steelscale, so

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:39:55 pm by upsetpanini1337 »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just the one with the "materials" in the name.

I'm not sure about why they didn't yield any scales, can you post your raws (both for the scales materials and for the creatures)?