Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]  (Read 9331 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: Zehlin Team Thread - FR20 [~4 Players]
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2020, 12:30:28 am »

Spears of the Sun
[Uncommon Deployment]
[6 Minerals, Auspicious Hours 4]
The Spears of the Sun are a curious recreation of an ancient relic. Requiring both the proper time and precious gold, they are (initially) issued to roughly one soldier in sixty. Capable of charging off raw sunlight, the Spears of the Sun have two primary functions. The first is a ranged blast of concentrated sunlight, the effects of which baffle our sciences. While we had envisioned a burning beam of light, it would seem the more powerful a light is, the less it desire to stay in a beam. Likewise, it has been discovered that, when air is brought to the burning point, it’s capable of bending light. These effects together mean that the blasting function of the Spear is sharply limited in range, to approximately 30 feet in which the spear discharges in a narrow cone. Targets hit by this discharge are rarely incinerated, but instead a thin layer of their surface is ablated and the targets are thrown back with great force. Again, curious, as light has no weight or momentum with which to throw someone. Once this discharge has been used, it can take a day of steady charging in order for it to be used again. The second function of the spear is to create a burning nimbus of energy around its blade. This as the effect of creating a super-heated edge, melting through all known forms of armor- but again with a few exceptions. If a burning Miad crystal forms, that crystal will interrupt the flow of energy and prevent the spear from penetrating or heating the target. Second, the spear is still made of gold. While capable of melting through targets, the molten residue from the target is often considerably hotter than the melting point of gold, which means that soldiers using this ability to strike through thick plating or hardened defenses must do so with speed and deliberation.
[Standard Difficulty, 1d8: 3]
[Lucky Break!]
--[Minor Bug, Simple]
One minor issue with the spears of the Sun is that there simply isn’t a good amount of materials set aside to maintain gold weapons. While a simple issue, the lack of tools only exacerbates gold’s lackluster combat abilities on occasions where the user is forced to use it as a direct weapon.

Hog Knights
[Mortals 3, Beasts 5, Minerals 3]
[Uncommon Deployment]
The Hog Knights of Zehlin are terrifying adversaries. The Hogs themselves were born in the mire of Zehlin, and have short, water resistant coats, unusually long and strong legs for swine, long and durable tusks for rooting through muck, and the disposition of a creature whose first and last option for dealing with a problem involves getting really, really, really pissed off. While these creatures are difficult in the extreme to capture, they’re the perfect pair for the Hog Knights themselves. Unusual men and women, their mentality part training and part natural insanity, Hog Knights are heavily armored in a heavy iron plate of coats and share a certain bellicosity with their mounts. They’re used to charging down sheer faced cliffs, shattering enemy lines, and breaking enemy morale by crafting grisly trophies from the slain and adding them to their mounts. The weight of their armor and armaments, usually a heavy spear and solid metal shield, makes Hog Knights exceptionally ungainly when deprived of their mounts, and their mounts are but trained beasts, but united the two are a heavy cavalry force to be feared.
[Standard Difficulty, 1d8: 8]
--[Crippling Bug, Intractable]
While they have been the mounts of a few legendary individuals, all attempts to integrate them as a standard cavalry unit have failed. The hogs are, quite simply, nearly untrainable. Massive, shockingly intelligent, very used to having their own way, and downright mean, the boar of the Zehlin Bog resist all efforts at general domestication. To date, only the heroically insane have ever been able to ‘tame’ such animals, and even then their relationship should be considered more of a partnership than a master/animal bond. [This, effectively, adds 10 to your resource deficit for this tech, making it deployed at about a thousandth of its apparent resource capacity]
[Hidden Fault!]
--[Minor Bug, Simple]
A second, considerably smaller, issue with the boars is that their rage appears to be contagious. While the personality… eccentricities of the boar riders are well known, it appears that the musk from the great boar induces similar effects in the infantry. While this has little practical effect, it does make fights break out in camps more often where Hog Knights are deployed and not adequately groomed.
--[Moderate Bug, Intractable]
The diet of the Zehlin boar is also a further consideration. Opportunistic omnivores, the material needs of the giant boar can be readily satisfied with anything to hand. Their fluid intake, however, is prodigious. The cold bogs of Zehlin make gigantothermi a benefit, and rarely do they need to cool off in such climes. However, in warmer climates, or when pressed to battle, the animals overheat easily, and require vast amounts of water in order to recuperate. This limits how frequently they can be deployed in charges, and limits their overall efficacy in hotter climates.
--[Minor Bug, Fascinating]
A final, bizarre twist, is that physicians have difficulty addressing the injuries of the great boar. The creatures can bear tremendous wounds with little surprisingly little bleeding or chance of infection, hinting toward some biological property yet unknown, but at the same time traditional herbal treatments have been ineffective- and crippling injuries such as broken bones are often left unset as no known treatment can sedate the animal for long enough to handle. This often leaves such animals crippled and at reduced capacity, as they are forced to rely wholly on their natural healing.

Devil Eggs
[Common Deployment]
[3 Mortal Dregs]
A simple conjuration and binding ritual, an inexpensive clay pot, and a steady hand can do much work. Each Devil Egg contains a sub-sapient being from the deep, quite capable of being angry about being captured, but not nearly powerful enough to plot something as complex as revenge. The clay pots used are simple in construction, and this very simplicity enables them to whether the increased entropy of their captive quite easily. On shattering, the captive deep one is released, and its pent up fury is expelled. The spirit is relatively weak, and without anything to possess its energies disperse rapidly- much to the detriment of anything living. The unrefined energy of the deep doesn’t cause wounds per se, but it does cause panic attacks, seizures, partial paralysis, and uncontrolled bleeding from mucous membranes - along with the occasional rare effect brought on by conscious effort of the deep entity. Without a direct hit from an urn, these effects are unlikely to kill by themselves, but they are enormously disruptive to enemy ranks and very likely to temporarily disable several individuals and steeply reduce morale.
[Minor Difficulty, d6: 4]
--[Minor Bug, Intractable]
The urns provide good containment of the spirits, but those who have to handle still feel bleedover effects. A general dread, a feeling of being watched, night terrors, nausea, heart palpitations, etc. While these put soldiers in no great danger, Devil eggs are typically concentrated in a smaller number of slingers with special cases, rather than disseminated broadly to the infantry due to morale issues.
--[Moderate Bug, Cluster]
A somewhat more significant issue is the fact that, if one urn cracks, the bleedover energy from the deep will likely overwhelm the seals that any other eggs are using. This means that, if one egg blows, every other egg within range will detonate. This, as one can imagine, will be attended with dire consequences for anyone remotely in range.

It is the 2nd Design, Revision, and Research Phase

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:13:23 am by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2020, 01:15:24 am »

Wow, okay. Lots to talk about here.

First things first: Our hated foes. Their designs appear to be:

-Heavy Infantry
-Skirmisher Infantry/Ranged
-Catgirls Because Catgirls Mutant Beastkin

Interestingly, they only deployed 3, which probably means they rolled a bunch of manageable bugs on Turn 0 and spent Turn 1 remedying them. We, blessed with near-perfect rolls the first round, instead decided to make hopelessly buggy designs on the next.

That leads to our next problem: Holy shit! Our hog knights are fucked! One moderate intractable and one crippling intractable bug! I don't think there's any fixing that! Probably easier to just make hippo knights next time we need regular heavy cav.

Actually, question: Is there any downside to having a "bad" design on the field? What happens if we make several designs for what is basically the same thing?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2020, 01:27:56 am »

Right, so, we could probably use brass instead of gold? Maybe? It would decrease the cost, though I am ashamed I didn't think of it sooner. It has a similar look to gold, but would probably lower the mineral cost. If we do that, then we might also contemplate splitting the two functions. We can keep the original version, but we can also produce a lesser, brass version with just the burning light ability, along with maybe gauntlets that do the sunlight blast firing thing. Also, about fixing the hog knights. Do they need fixing? We could turn their limited numbers into an advantage. They are already fierce, we can make that better. Play up their rarity and fear factor to turn them into knights that can turn the tide of battle. And their two fascinating bugs should help with that, potentially immensely. Rather than trying to "Fix" their intractable bugs, we work around them. So they need lots of water? Well, what about an enchantment to covert heat into water, or otherwise, what about creating ways to bring water or Ice to them? Work around, rather than through.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:37:19 am by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2020, 01:35:07 am »

Okay how does exactly does Hidden Fault work?, we had 7 points for Bugs on the Boars as it rolled a 8 and than you remove a one from its base value, -4 for Crippling, -2 for a Moderate, and -1 for a Minor. So does Hidden Fault just mean you get an additional d12 roll, ignore the budget, and you get any randomly difficulty bug? Does rolling a Hidden Fault, just mean you increase your bug budget by one?, if we rolled only one Hidden Fault, then how does 4+2+2+1=8?

Secondly is on the modifiers, the Boars should’ve of only gotten a +2 modifier in Bug Rolls because it had 7 points and thus rounded down and divided by four, as that is what is stated in the OP as the time I am writing this, and the Deep Grenades (Devil Eggs) only had 3 points, so during the rolls there should’ve hadn’t been any modifier to the roll, as from my interpretation what you wrote on the Design system.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2020, 01:48:34 am »

Hmmm. I have an idea. What if we took a boar, after we've figured out their unearthly constitution (and if possible, augmented it), and used lunacy on it, along with feeding it soul dregs. Transforming it into what I'll just call the fortressback boar of the apocalypse. A massive beast that as it's name suggests, can hold a decently sized crew on its back, a massive force of nature, whose rage rallies everything around it, directing them to attack its target with incredible ferocity. It itself is both incredibly strong, and surprisingly durable, with room on its back to have archers or sun spear users.
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2020, 01:57:02 am »

Oh right, that's another question: How does the "random research insight" from solving a fascinating bug work?

Right, so, we could probably use brass instead of gold? Maybe? It would decrease the cost, though I am ashamed I didn't think of it sooner. It has a similar look to gold, but would probably lower the mineral cost.
Maybe. It's only a minor bug, so it's not a big deal to leave it, but it shouldn't be hard to fix either.

If we do that, then we might also contemplate splitting the two functions. We can keep the original version, but we can also produce a lesser, brass version with just the burning light ability, along with maybe gauntlets that do the sunlight blast firing thing.
This sounds like a lot of research to replicate something we already have.

Also, about fixing the hog knights. Do they need fixing? We could turn their limited numbers into an advantage. They are already fierce, we can make that better. Play up their rarity and fear factor to turn them into knights that can turn the tide of battle. And their two fascinating bugs should help with that, potentially immensely. Rather than trying to "Fix" their intractable bugs, we work around them. So they need lots of water? Well, what about an enchantment to covert heat into water, or otherwise, what about creating ways to bring water or Ice to them? Work around, rather than through.
Per the OP, we cannot remove bugs merely by adding features. We should ask if we can compensate for bugs by adding projects (like water caravans for the hogs). I think we'll need to wait on an answer to my earlier question before we know how important/feasible fixing them in the first place would be. We seem to have gotten monstrously unlucky on several of their rolls, so in all likelihood an entirely new project would give better results faster. But I don't know if leaving a flawed design around or trying to mimic an existing design has any drawbacks.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2020, 08:11:07 am »

Actually, question: Is there any downside to having a "bad" design on the field? What happens if we make several designs for what is basically the same thing?

Not really. The bad designs and the good designs will get used together, sharing the same combat niche. If you design another form of heavy cav, having the boar knights won't get you extra heavy cavalry (even if you fix them), but there will be some boar knights among your heavy cavalry.

Doing a design over again doesn't have any significant issues, but it's also not going to be significantly easier.

Okay how does exactly does Hidden Fault work?, we had 7 points for Bugs on the Boars as it rolled a 8 and than you remove a one from its base value, -4 for Crippling, -2 for a Moderate, and -1 for a Minor. So does Hidden Fault just mean you get an additional d12 roll, ignore the budget, and you get any randomly difficulty bug? Does rolling a Hidden Fault, just mean you increase your bug budget by one?, if we rolled only one Hidden Fault, then how does 4+2+2+1=8?

Secondly is on the modifiers, the Boars should’ve of only gotten a +2 modifier in Bug Rolls because it had 7 points and thus rounded down and divided by four, as that is what is stated in the OP as the time I am writing this, and the Deep Grenades (Devil Eggs) only had 3 points, so during the rolls there should’ve hadn’t been any modifier to the roll, as from my interpretation what you wrote on the Design system.

Yep, boar knights has one more bug than it should have had, my brain just failed when punching in numbers. This means that their second bug drops in severity, becoming Minor and Simple. I'll rewrite that bug in a moment. Good catch there.

Oh right, that's another question: How does the "random research insight" from solving a fascinating bug work?

Fix that bug and you'll get a short bit of text about something that you can exploit, behaving the same way as if you'd launched a research project: A -2 to the roll of a design that makes good use of that insight. Works once.

Also, about fixing the hog knights. Do they need fixing? We could turn their limited numbers into an advantage. They are already fierce, we can make that better. Play up their rarity and fear factor to turn them into knights that can turn the tide of battle. And their two fascinating bugs should help with that, potentially immensely. Rather than trying to "Fix" their intractable bugs, we work around them. So they need lots of water? Well, what about an enchantment to covert heat into water, or otherwise, what about creating ways to bring water or Ice to them? Work around, rather than through.
Per the OP, we cannot remove bugs merely by adding features. We should ask if we can compensate for bugs by adding projects (like water caravans for the hogs). I think we'll need to wait on an answer to my earlier question before we know how important/feasible fixing them in the first place would be. We seem to have gotten monstrously unlucky on several of their rolls, so in all likelihood an entirely new project would give better results faster. But I don't know if leaving a flawed design around or trying to mimic an existing design has any drawbacks.

If adding a feature would directly counter a bug, then the revision has to remove the bug first. Example, adding a feature for the boar to have been selectively bred for strains used in hotter climates, giving them increased heat tolerance and the ability to store vast quantities of water (I don't know where you found a hotter climate, just making this up), that feature would have to remove the bug before it took effect.

Making the Boar even bigger and more expensive can be done without messing with anything, BUT its crippling bug just means that its resource deficit is +10 of whatever it seems to be. If you make it into an even rarer creature, it's in danger of disappearing from the battlefield.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 11:46:33 am by The Adversary »
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2020, 11:22:30 am »

Silver Laced Dreg Porcelain
After having found the current Containers of Our Devils eggs Insuffizienz WE have developed a better suited material from them. For centuries artisans have already made porcelain and its delicate Nature at First would Not come to mind when containing ancient Horrors. IT seems however, that when one Puts a small lacing of silver surrounding the porcelain IT can contain the morale effects More efficiently AS Well AS having the ability to withstand the breach of another Devils Egg in reasonable proximity.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2020, 02:30:39 pm »

I would like to propose that we focus on fixing the fascinating bugs on the Hog knights first, then the Water issue. (I'm rather disappointed that the apparent telempathy bug ceased to be fascinating...) Why? Because even deployed at 1/1000 of their potential, they still have great power. If we lean into that, making them super elite warriors, just one of which can change the tide of battle, then we can focus on just one intractable bug and the fascinating bug. As such, we should think about increasing their firepower. As for the rest. Well, the burning light surrounding the spearheads looks to be quite effective, possibly more so at piercing through armor than the kinetic blasts of sunlight. What if we made arrows that did that? Using brass rather than gold to keep the cost down. Ultra high penetration arrows.
Edit: the Hog design I came up with, for a national effort monstrosity of incredible power.
Aetolius, Boar of the End
Chosen from the hog knights with the most control over their mounts, with mounts that are the most calm and sane. We proceed with a ritual, many rituals. Firstly, the Hog is changed using Lunacy, it is granted power, a deeper connection to the world beneath it's feet, granting it an instinctive ability to manipulate it. It covers itself in rock, using telekinetic power to armor itself and grant itself movement. Transforming it from a being of Flesh to a monster of Stone. Then it is fed soul dregs, somewhat tilted towards an element of flame and heat, letting it ignore both, and emit both. These cause the boar to grow far larger, and stronger, more furious, it's body beginning to heat up, emitting sparks of flame from within itself. And so the boar goes from a simple hog, to an avatar of volcanic wrath, large enough to fit a small group of archers on it's back, who are protected from the heat within by a layer of rock and dirt. The conflicting powers of Lunacy and Deep communion threaten to tear the boar apart, countered by the boar's prodigious constitution and durability, letting it keep it together, though the mind is another matter. For that, we have to make sure to select mounts who, when their temper is worsened by the procedures, do not become fully driven by their rage.
Arrows+bows, maybe:
Striker bows
Though the arrows are made using brass rather than gold for their arrowheads, this bow's arrows are designed based off of the Spears of the sun's ability to cover the tip of the spear in burning light. Taking that half of the transformation and running with it, placing it on the arrowhead to grant it incredible piercing ability and damage potential. With the enhanced penetrative power afforded to these arrows thanks to the burning light they can create, they should be able to punch through armor and the person wearing the armor as well. To compliment these arrows, the bow as well shall be augmented. Simple and durable longbows as a base, with a deep being placed inside the bow. This being, in exchange for Soul Dregs, is willing to correct one's aim, using it's foresight and knowledge to assist the user. The bow will subtly move itself to stay on target and correct its user's aim, allowing them to hit their shots more consistently, and at greater range.
Edit: Question for the GM, how hard would it be to use burning Miad, Deep Communion, or Lunacy to create lift for a flying ship?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:10:52 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2020, 05:35:07 pm »

Okay I think I have a few questions about bug-fixing revisions before we get started on the Design process.

On a partial success, the ordered features and bugs who sum of weights + revision roll does not exceed 8 are still successfully added. Additional features beyond this point are discarded. Any bug which would cause the sum of weights + revision toll to be exceeded is reduced in severity by one. Additional bugs beyond that point will remain in the design.

What I am reading is that, if we to say included all four bugs of the Hog Knights we would have a weight value of (1+1+2+4 from Bugs) and + 4 from there from each bug getting an additional weight. So a total value of 12, so it would be basically be guaranteed that we would have a partial success the “Any bug which would cause the sum of weights + revision toll to be exceeded is reduced in severity by one”?, does that mean each Bug in the revision would reduce their severity by one should they all should exceed the value of 8, what value does it need to exceed so that we can reduce its severity level?, when a Minor Bug is reduced by one does it just go away?, would you get the fascinating bonus if that’s the case

The second question is if you try to resolve two Bugs in a single revision, one being a Simple and the other being Complicated or Intricate... what exactly happens? It seems you roll one d6, so does it mean that they negate any advantages, does the severity of the bug take priority, or...?

Other questions as relating to magic system is, why does Lunacy and Deep Communion not go well along with each other, not being able to utilized transformed objects (for instance corpses) and living beings, than possessed by the Deep. As well how much synergy is their between Deep Communion and Juxtamancy, say we give flesh the property of durability and hardness for stone or metal, could then the Deep possessed that object?, I imagine you can see where I’m going here

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:49:50 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2020, 06:05:38 pm »

Okay I think I have a few questions about bug-fixing revisions before we get started on the Design process.

On a partial success, the ordered features and bugs who sum of weights + revision roll does not exceed 8 are still successfully added. Additional features beyond this point are discarded. Any bug which would cause the sum of weights + revision toll to be exceeded is reduced in severity by one. Additional bugs beyond that point will remain in the design.

What I am reading is that, if we to say included all four bugs of the Hog Knights we would have a weight value of (1+1+2+4 from Bugs) and + 4 from there from each bug getting an additional weight. So a total value of 12, so it would be basically be guaranteed that we would have a partial success the “Any bug which would cause the sum of weights + revision toll to be exceeded is reduced in severity by one”?, does that mean each Bug in the revision would reduce their severity by one should they all should exceed the value of 8, what value does it need to exceed so that we can reduce its severity level?, when a Minor Bug is reduced by one does it just go away?, would you get the fascinating bonus if that’s the case

The second question is if you try to resolve two Bugs in a single revision, one being a Simple and the other being Complicated or Intricate... what exactly happens? It seems you roll one d6, so does it mean that they negate any advantages, does the severity of the bug take priority, or...?

Ah, adjustments to severity all happen afterward.

For the Hogs, you have, as you stated, 2+2+3+5 if you're trying to fix all the bugs at the same time. This means the sum of your weights is 12 and it's impossible to completely succeed on a revision to remove all the bugs at once, as any roll would bring the sum of weights +revisions roll above 8. That in mind, lets discuss what different rolls would mean.

Partial success is always guaranteed when fixing bugs. Lets say you roll as poorly as possible, you get a 6. Bugs are resolved in order, so we consider the first bug. 6+2 (the weight of the first bug) is exactly equal to 8, and so the first bug gets completely resolved. That bug would be removed (or, if it was the intractable one, modified to just be complex) and that'd be the end of the revision. If, instead, you rolled a 5, then 5+2 < 8 and that bug would be completely resolved AND we'd consider the next bug. 5+2+2 (The combined weights of the first two bugs) > 8, so we fully resolve the first bug and we'd reduce the severity of the second bug by 1. Since it's also a minor bug, it would end up resolved (or, if intractable, made complicated instead). If you rolled as well as possible, then you'd get all the way to 1+2+2+3 =8, which means that your minor and moderate bugs would be fixed, but the critical bug would be unaffected.   

If you attempt to remove the critical bug by itself, you'd completely resolve the bug on a 1-3, and would reduce it in severity by 1 in every other case.

When you reduce a bug in severity you literally change its effects. The bug goes from being critical to being severe, from severe to moderate, from moderate to minor, or from minor to being removed. In the case of fascinating, this counts as solving it. When this happens I'll adjust the bug description to tell you how it changes.

Revisions are made so that, when you're attempting to remove bugs, you will never (completely) fail. There are no wasted bug fixing revisions.

As for bugs that are simple/complex: Each one of those bugs gets its own roll that determines how it will behave. If it's a complex bug, it uses its roll of it's worse. In the case of a simple bug, it uses its roll if it's better.

For example, lets say you attempt to fix that critical intractable bug and the minor fascinating bug.  Your sum of weights is 7, meaning that you'd need a 1 to remove both bugs. You roll a 4 initially. This is enough to fix the minor bug, and SHOULD be enough to reduce the severity of the critical bug. However, the complex bug rolls its own die and it comes up as 6- which would only have been enough to fix the minor bug and not enough to even reduce the critical one.

This die replacement is ONLY for evaluating the bug that is critical/simple. It does NOT effect how others are evaluated.

Strategic Counter Edit

Other questions as relating to magic system is, why does Lunacy and Deep Communion not go well along with each other, not being able to utilized transformed objects (for instance corpses) and living beings, than possessed by the Deep. As well how much synergy is their between Deep Communion and Juxtamancy, say we give flesh the property of durability and hardness for stone or metal, could then the Deep possessed that object?, I imagine you can see where I’m going here

They don't get along with one another because Lunacy and Deep Communion are both damaging arts. Of the four, Lunacy and Deep communion are the two that actively stress the things that they change. They two arts can be used side by side, but you're multiplying the stresses involved. You can mix and match magics freely. Juxtematics will work on an object that's inhabited by a deep entity as well as it will on anything else.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:01:40 pm by The Adversary »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2020, 07:50:55 pm »

Steelswamp Armor (Design): The Juxtemancers in Zehlin are a weird bunch, considered more like the named Alchemist that have descended from are herbalist are often in heated battle against the more prominent Communers of debate in our magic circles, however they have created a powerful suit of armor entirely composed of the lightweight material of wood, but have given it the durability and hardiness of stone and metal, this Steelswamp Armor, mostly resembling a wooden cuirass, helm, greaves, and arm armor has through the usage of Juxtamatic Catalysts are transferred by the quarry of stone and forge of metal, and then applied to the crafted wood armor to be spread out to the many infantry, resulting in armor more equivalent to chainmail with a cultural and usage of our precious harvested Trees.

Deep Boar Castration (Revision): The innate testosterone and savagery we have to deal with the Boar is clearly rooted into the problem that there is too much adrenaline and raw rage being pumped into their blood, simply we gather their young and castrate or spay them, this simply forces domestication on the Hogs, as well we enforce a Awakening Magical Pact of Calming into the Boar into its adolescent cycle, the rider will imprint unto the Boar to massively reduce its own innate aggression and to make them more sterile and calm during approach, this will increase the domesticity level of them by tenfold and we will be able to have more of these Hog Knights on the field. Secondly it seems the Awakening Ritual changes the testerone into their body into more of white cells and regenerative material, the heart is more healthier and active when Imprinted on, this results in our normal herbal treatments to actually work and patch up the wounds that the Hogs add into their body.

Megafauna Zombify mk 2: While simple really, you take the concept of Quickening the Dead from a human corpse and change the ritual to make it be able to rise up the corpses of much greater livestock. Our native horses and oxen in their walking corpse puppetry by the Deep are monstrous and volatile, being set upon to launch at the enemy lines and cause mass havoc and devastation with their unwavering bodies, most horrifically is the hunted water Hippopotamus that dread along our riverbanks serve their arrow-pierced corpses serve as an amphibious monster that we can deploy among the more tropical and wetlands. The previous frillneck species, as well can become these new corpses much more scarier than their alive counterparts serving as un underwater interceptor of sorts when commanded

The rising rituals is more complicated to make these megafauna animals rise, it requires the casters to be more bestial and draw on their base primal instincts, the id you might say, with communing with the Deep, and the type that like to puppet and ventriloquist these creatures are much more attuned to the raw barbarity of its homelands. However a recent breakthrough with the ritual, has allowed us to be able to command these creatures much more effectively, their is an advanced “rearing” ritual that can be applied to the Megafauna after they are created combining with bartering the creatures with more delicious souls, reducing their temper and pure Deep possessed soul ravenous nature and allowing them to be directed by a “Beastmaster” of sorts, at least to make these creature charge or ambush the enemy on the other side

My own logic is that the Boars will be much more usable once we get rid of the Crippling Flaw, I am hoping for the 30% chance of not getting a 6 on two dice rolls to make us able to be resolve the Fascinating Medical Issue on the Boars, as well as reducing the Domestication Problem on the to a Severe Level, which would then forth probably mean we still be able to field more of these troops. Swampsteel Armor as a baseline upgrade to the defensive levels of our infantry and giving us some basic knowledge into the foray of Juxtemancy. I still want Undead Zombie Hippos, so I am going to keep voting for Megafauna Zombification :)

My main goal is make possessed trees by the Deep, and having those trees be able to lumber and move, maybe with the usage of Juxtemancy to make them more lightweight and able to be carved with limbs and such? Maybe someone could help with the domestication part of using the Deep instead of the Awakening ritual to calm those beasties down? 

Quote from: Votebox
Swampsteel Armour: (1) SC777
Deep Boar Castration: (1) SC777
Megafauna Zombifaction mk2: (1) SC777

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:57:21 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2020, 09:01:40 pm »

Boar Castration

Fantastic ideas, except for the part about an awakening pact of calming. Awakening is an act of transference. It and Juxtematics are the two magical arts of exchange. Thus, to make something calm, you either have to transfer the rage from the boar into the host or transfer the host's capacity for self control into the boar. Likewise, you can't awaken a capacity for healing without taking it from the rider. Same for all the medical items, really. Turning the Boar into a Barrow might provide them with slightly boosted healing, as they aren't using the energy to go rage monster, but you can't awaken something without putting it to sleep somewhere else.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2020, 05:52:30 am »

Double posting for a missed question.

Edit: Question for the GM, how hard would it be to use burning Miad, Deep Communion, or Lunacy to create lift for a flying ship?

This is a really vague question. Sort of like 'How hard would it be to use electricity, hydraulics, or electromagnetic forces to create a flying ship?' It all depends on how you're doing it. Just saying 'I use Sacred Lunacy on a ship to evolve it to fly' is probably a no go, and 'I summon a being of the deep into a ship to make it fly' is going to be really, really, expensive as well as difficult to get right.

You could reach a flying ship through the use of basically any of the magical arts, though Awakening would probably be the most tricky if the bulk of your ship is inert, but how you use those arts make a flying ship is going to be the most important part in determining how difficult it is.

EDIT: Also, poking you guys gently. Alikai has, shockingly, finished voting.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:54:24 am by The Adversary »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2020, 05:18:44 pm »

I'm working on a master plan and a problem has occurred.

When you resolve an Intractable bug, it loses the Intractable trait and gains the Complicated trait instead.

When you partially resolve a bug, it drops by one severity level.

How do these two things interact?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8