Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Alikai Team Thread - FR20 [~5 players]  (Read 14985 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alikai Team Thread - FR20 [~4 players]
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2020, 04:37:44 pm »

A research for People of the Luna is not going to actually give us a  said of any sort, just research for design.

Can I get someone else? Maybe Happerry voting for their design? I want bonding to get easy-ish sea and sky rides.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 04:40:43 pm »

The purpose of the research is to get design leads for potential transformations beyond just being scalies.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2020, 04:58:57 pm »

Compare to, I don't know, just researching Lunacy more directly?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2020, 05:08:24 pm »

Lunacy requires that transformations be related to some aspect already present in that being. If we define our people as naturally having little pieces of desert animal in their being, we greatly improve out transformation options.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 05:12:45 pm »

I.. don't think research works that way? It simply gives paths for a design and some improvement for when one does such designs. When we could just do the design, get that experience, and get something out of it. One is broad(research), the other is narrow.(design)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2020, 05:16:00 pm »

Lunacy requires that transformations be related to some aspect already present in that being. If we define our people as naturally having little pieces of desert animal in their being, we greatly improve out transformation options.

Just a point of clarification. Lunacy's requirement of a preexisting condition is allowed to be metaphorical. The werewolf, the shining example of a lunatic transformation, can be thought of as an explosive evolution of the primal, atavistic, and savage elements that remain within a civilized soul.

For materials, similar metaphorical transformations are permitted.

I.. don't think research works that way? It simply gives paths for a design and some improvement for when one does such designs. When we could just do the design, get that experience, and get something out of it. One is broad(research), the other is narrow.(design)

This is pretty much correct. Launching that as a research project wouldn't actively give you those things with any effect. It would canonize their existence, but the same (and more) could be done with a racial design. What it would do would be to give you a bit more information on one or more specific, curious elements that arise directly as a result of me expounding on your research. You could then pick up one of those (potentially to use in a racial design if it fit) in order to gain further actual benefits.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2020, 05:24:05 pm »

Another issue is that those changes are adapted for our biome, when we need to conquer other biomes that won't be nearly as fit for our particular adaptations. Awakening has an advanatage here, in that certain functions can be heightened to improve survival. Awakening is good for day to day tricks, Lunacy more for long term changes?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2020, 05:25:50 pm »

One track mind for this turn, Tric. Lunacy all the way. :P

Okay, I'd actually be fine with that as a research outcome, but maybe a design would be better. Thoughts?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2020, 05:29:54 pm »

One track mind for this turn, Tric. Lunacy all the way. :P

Okay, I'd actually be fine with that as a research outcome, but maybe a design would be better. Thoughts?

I'd rather it be a design. I'd also rather research bonding so we can make seafaring and sky riders quickly. Which will boost our expansion. We can also use it for the land-riders, like those snakes.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:35:04 pm by TricMagic »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2020, 05:31:00 pm »

But we can get riders already, from a trivial design. :P The warsnakes and the soldiers were like a minor design.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2020, 05:36:30 pm »

The Frostspire
-Unnatural Cold permeates this region, emanating from the mountain and covering the area in permafrost. Terrain flattish, broken by sudden sheer faced eruptions of ice and stone.
-Mundane beasts become extraordinarily difficult to handle here, and there is no native animal life beyond swarms of endothermic ice-worms.

Say hello to issue one with the snakes. No way they are making it anywhere in that zone.

The Devil’s Scab
-Mountains of Hexagonal Basalt Pillars with ridgelike shale extrusions, the Devil’s scab terrain is all but impassible, deceptively fragile, and sharp at all times.
-Home to hundreds of small oases of rain lakes and thousands of species of bird.

Say hello to another issue with them~ Maybe with bonding we can grab some birds to ride.

The Mossteeth
-Shallow, warm-water sea. Prone to vicious currents and sudden storms, the tempestuous weather is very difficult for large craft.
-Frequent abutments of vegetation covered rock both give the region its name and rip apart the hulls of careless vessels.

Shifting Isles
-Floating Islands that seem grouped roughly in the middle of the sea, capable of moving, but also somewhat repulsed by one another so that no large landmass forms.
-Exceedingly difficult to navigate and home to a bewildering variety of climates.

Stillreach
-A deep and vast section of sargasso sea which is known for its incredibly poor winds and burning sun. Very easy to get stranded.
-The depth and stillness of these waters make it home to many vast beasts.

It's water. Maybe for a water snake, but the design doesn't actually work here.

Zehlin
- A Kingdom brought forth from a cold-water swamp, Zehlin’s topography is a mixture of islands of stable ground and limestone surrounded by chill and sodden swampland rich with glowing flora and fauna.

.... Yeah. Snakes are a no go here too, cold-blooded.

They are very good in the desert. That's all. We might be able to make something with Lunacy for the blasted craters, but such a weak control method is likely to fail there at times. Something suited for the desert cannot handle violently different biomes. Walls at every turn.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2020, 05:44:48 pm »

Desert Clansfolk Mk3: The Desert is a harsh place, and breeds people that are often, though not always, harsh themselves. The Clanfolk of the deeper deserts are particularly known for their skills with recurved horn shortbows, flint or glass arrows and curved swords, what some call a scimitar and the tribesfolk themselves usually call Kilij, forged of copper, iron, or bronze depending on the clansfolk's wealth, which they use while armored lightly with fabric and cloth to resist overheating and maintain their ability to maneuver and dodge. Given that, even for the desert, the clans of the deeper deserts are often particularly poor in materials and food alike, their members often hire themselves out for war to put their skills to profitable use. Thusly, the armies of the people of Alikai have come to generally have good numbers of such folk included.

Since Doomblade asked for a version with iron swords and to make it more explicit that the horn shortbows are recurved.

anyway votes now that I'm awake.

Quote from: Botes in the Desert
Bonding: (1) TricMagic
Aquaducts: (2) TricMagic, m1895
The Tawila: ()
Desert Clansfolk Revised: (2) TricMagic, Happerry
Desert Clansfolk Mk3: (1) Happerry
Scaleriders: (1) Doomblade
People of the Luna: (3) Doomblade, m1895, Happerry
Anirite Akibara: (2) Doomblade, m1895

Special Vote
Lunacy: (3) Doomblade, m1895, Happerry
Awakening: (1) TricMagic
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:57:42 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2020, 05:48:51 pm »

Desert Clansfolk Mk3: The Desert is a harsh place, and breeds people that are often, though not always, harsh themselves. The Clanfolk of the deeper deserts are particularly known for their skills with recurved horn shortbows, flint or glass arrows and curved swords, what some call a scimitar and the tribesfolk themselves usually call Kilij, forged of copper, iron, or bronze depending on the clansfolk's wealth, which they use while armored lightly with fabric and cloth to resist overheating and maintain their ability to maneuver and dodge. Given that, even for the desert, the clans of the deeper deserts are often particularly poor in materials and food alike, their members often hire themselves out for war to put their skills to profitable use. Thusly, the armies of the people of Alikai have come to generally have good numbers of such folk included.

Since Doomblade asked for a version with iron swords and to make it more explicit that the horn shortbows are recurved.

anyway votes now that I'm awake.

Quote from: Botes in the Desert
Bonding: (1) TricMagic
Aquaducts: (2) TricMagic, m1895
The Tawila: ()
Desert Clansfolk Revised: (2) TricMagic, Happerry
Desert Clansfolk Mk3: (1) Happerry
Scaleriders: (1) Doomblade
People of the Luna: (3) Doomblade, m1895, Happerry
Anirite Akibara: (2) Doomblade, m1895

Special Vote
Lunacy: (2) Doomblade, m1895
Awakening: (1) TricMagic

I did just get something that said a design would be a better use of an action. Also, could you make a Special Vote?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 05:57:55 pm »

Edited in the special vote.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2020, 06:01:23 pm »

... Just to be sure, DB, why in the world do you want Lunacy. I obviosuly want Bonding and working with creatures, but I have no clue what your grand plan is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18