Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: FR20 - A Fantasy Arms Race With Odd Rules [Prologue 3 Out]  (Read 5254 times)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
Re: FR20 - A Fantasy Arms Race With Odd Rules [Start]
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2020, 01:32:23 pm »

Battle Report 2: We're going to need a bigger boa-- actually, no, that won't fix this.

In the Ghoulwood, the natives continue to attempt to organized a resistance against the heretical invaders. They also continue to be routed thoroughly. The hog knights -- previously existing primarily as rumors -- have been fielded in significantly increased numbers. Both the leather clad steed and coat-of-plates clad rider (frequently armed with a sunlight spear in addition to their standard lance) are instrumental forces in breaking the enemy and heralding the advance of the undead hordes, followed by the infantry.

Worse, reports are beginning to trickle in of undead beasts ravaging retreating forces and being deployed to break lines and smash through fortifications. Withered draft horses biting and stamping with hoofless feet, skeletal giant salamanders scuttling across the battlefield, and (worst of all) zombie hippos acting as living battering rams and literally absorbing waves of arrows.

Strange reports, nearly discounted but for their frequency, note that the giant boars have gone from being matted, horrifying things, with warped hooves and a heavy covering of macabre trophies to being immaculately groomed, with polished hooves, and a heaving covering of macabre trophies. They also smell unsettlingly pleasantly of swamp melons.

Stillreach continues much as it always had. Salamander pulled sea chariots make steady progress in the sargasso, mapping out routes for the conquest of the shifting isles.

Zehlin soldiers in the Frostspire are endlessly grateful for having undead draft animals for three major reasons. One, they aren’t afraid of the unnatural mountain. Two, hippos can carry a LOT when you’re allowed to put hooks into them. Three, undead animals make fantastic windbreaks when you order them to lay on top of one another to form a wall when making camp.

At the Blasted Craters the primary change to combat is in the Akibara getting more used to leaving the desert. It takes frequently drilled reminders, but they begin pressing themselves harder without fearing heat exhaustion - narrowing the only advantage the tribals had.

The rumors and myths about the strange appearances of those from Alikai don’t diminish with increased contact- if anything, they expand and grow in detail, making those from the desert seem even more connected to the beasts than was previously suspected.

In the Mossteeth things are miserable. Now instead of repurposed vessels, those from Alikai have made use of giant turtles, some twenty or thirty feet across, and given them steel railings to keep people from falling off the sides. Without a roof, walls, or internal storage of any kind, these mighty creatures represent a wet, sunburned, and unpleasant voyage for those passengers unfortunate enough to be assigned to one.

The Devil’s Scab sees considerably improved conditions when the Akibara stop holding back, exerting themselves to their desert trained fullest in the milder climate. It isn’t enough for them to catch up to the lightly clad clansfolk, or really even close, but it does mean that they don’t spend quite so much time tripping and getting left behind.

In Summary Zehlin Presented New Assets Of,
  • More, dolled up, Boars
  • Large animal zombies

In Summary Alikai Presented New Assets Of,
  • More overt mutations
  • Faster medium infantry
  • Turtlebotes

Spoiler: The Map And Lanes (click to show/hide)

The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FR20 - A Fantasy Arms Race With Odd Rules [Prologue 2 Out]
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2020, 04:26:22 pm »

Really, Turtles? I mean, I get it, it seems like you're going for an animal thing, but still.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2020, 04:55:08 pm »

Really, Turtles? I mean, I get it, it seems like you're going for an animal thing, but still.

This might have more impact if you were done voting. And you're the one with the zombie horde, selling your souls for momentary power.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2020, 11:07:18 pm »

turtlebote
turtlebote
turtlebote
turtlebote
TURTLEBOTE
TURTLEBOTE
TURTLEBOTE
TURTLEBOTE
TURTLEBOTE
AS YOU WILL DISCOVER, MY FRIENDS
IT IS TURTLES
ALLLLLLLLLL THE WAY DOWN

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2020, 09:36:18 am »

Votes status?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2020, 10:57:09 am »

Alikai seems mostly settled up, Zehlin has one item that's trailing with a very high quotient of flipfloppability, but there also hasn't been movement in a while.

Work to begin soon™?
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2020, 02:43:26 pm »

Battle Report 3: In which the Zehlin infantry is Tree-ted poorly.

The Alikai campaign through the Blasted Craters continues to cut through their primitive enemies. The Akibara and the desert tribes together drive the enemy back, and cohesive resistance is crushed beneath waves of arrows and armored boots.

Rumors also begin to circulate of a limited Alikai cavalry elements- strange survivor stories of knights mounted on giant desert rabbits, bounding at impossible speeds across uneven terrain to literally smash the heads of their foes with massive hammers. However, the stories could be just that, as such warriors have never been seen operating around the primary Alikai warcamps.

The somewhat... troubled expansion through the Mossteeth is finally put on the right track when sailors from the city of Taratan, uniformly mutated to bear strong resemblance to turtles, crew the caged turtle boats. While such vessels are still absolutely miserable for anyone who isn't also a turtle on a turtle boat, the turtle sailors are able to press the creatures to the limit and use them as fast and submersible vessels.

Advances continue in the Devil’s Scab, with nothing additional aiding or hindering the campaign of the expeditionary forces Alikai sends forward.

The increasingly desperate natives of the Ghoulwood make ever more grandiose sacrifices to their bestial gods in an effort to turn back the tides of the Zehlin advance- both living and dead. While some few of the horrific beasts are enticed, they're repulsed by new developments for the Zehlin infantry.

Importantly, limited archery units have been deployed by Zehlin, making use of a form of arrow seemingly derived from their sunlight spear. While slightly inaccurate at longer ranges, these arrows blaze with solar energy throughout their flight and have the uncanny tendency to burn through their targets- when they don't generate burning miad.

The bestial zombies deployed by Zehlin have also been improved, with a dedicated effort made to attach all the really dangerous bits as securely as possible so they don't fall off.

Most horribly, the forces from Zehlin appear to have gained another element: Possessed Trees. Cut down and given legs and arms, with a screaming mouth carven into their trunk, these creatures seem hideously victimized by decay- frequently seen in battle with one or more limbs gone, their trunks wormeaten, and dragging themselves into battle by flopping forwards and grasping with their 'hair' of brittle and decayed cypress branches. While strong when they still have limbs to strike, capable of producing prodigious screams that stun everyone (including the living Zehlin infantry) in their immediate area, and able to absorb most assaults of arrow or spear, the possessed creatures can be broken apart- and when they break apart they go out with a bang. When near to destruction, the possessed trees strike out viciously, spiking anyone around them regardless of loyalty.

Progress across the Stillreach continues apace. The sea chariots remain effective at plowing through the sargasso, and while vessels are still lost from time to time, that's the price of progress.

Frostspire sees a few new directives put in place. One, Zehlin archers are NOT to be used to light campfires. No matter how goddamn cold it is.  Two, under no circumstances should possessed trees be used for firewood.

In Summary Alikai Presented New Assets Of,
  • Turtle sailors who sail the Turtle Boats
  • Elusive Cavalry Elements on Giant Rabbits

In Summary Zehlin Presented New Assets Of,
  • Sunlight Arrows
  • Rotting Possessed Trees with Anger Issues
  • Animal zombies with preserved natural weapons

Spoiler: The Map And Lanes (click to show/hide)

Contest Winner: Alikai

Spoiler: Alikai Entry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zehlin Entry (click to show/hide)

Alikai went for a LOT of beating about the bush. So much so that I feel I need to put a disclaimer for future contests: Keep it Short and Sweet. I like expanding the lore, I really do, but I also don't want people to feel that they have to produce twelve paragraphs for a contest entry. It can be demoralizing

That aside....

Zehlin went for one discrete place, and I really like that. I can't tell you how much I like that. TBH, I went back and forth over this result a couple times just because I prefer its focus- that and the Tower reminds me of the Polyhedron from pathologic. However, what holds it back is that it feels more like 'This is a dark and terrible place that eats people alive', and I'm left wondering exactly how this dark and terrible place exemplifies you.

Alikai despite being verbose as fuck, does an excellent job of showing their individuality- even though I feel that doing 'Our Capital is our most magical place!' is a bit of a cop-out. The entry does a good job of engaging with their magic and building something organic from it, even though I wish there'd been a bit more on some of the more interesting facets. How is the city interesting by moonlight? How is the chaos controlled and transmuted into civilization?

Alikai, Choose one:

A. Remove one bug from an existing design. No strings attached.
B. Take a credit for a -2 on a future design's roll.

Next Contest, Due Turn 5: Show the Flag

The prototypical AR contest. Produce your nation's flag, along with a brief description of the elements included.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:43:02 am by The Adversary »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2020, 03:06:50 pm »

How can your forces handle trees that speak Zehlinese?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FR20 - A Fantasy Arms Race With Odd Rules [Prologue 3 Out]
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2020, 03:33:43 pm »

why can’t I hold all these mad kings

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2020, 03:42:01 pm »

Why is our entry so long? When yours is as short as mine was.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2020, 03:53:00 pm »

Rumors also begin to circulate of a limited Alikai cavalry elements- strange survivor stories of knights mounted on giant desert rabbits, bounding at impossible speeds across uneven terrain to literally smash the heads of their foes with massive hammers. However, the stories could be just that, as such warriors have never been seen operating around the primary Alikai warcamps.
You made moon rabbits? The meme team surely has no limits!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2020, 12:33:27 pm »

Hey, quick issue with the rules that got identified.

The 7500 m/s in the Interaction of Acceleration should be 7500 m/s2, in both appearances.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2020, 01:30:07 pm »

We've broken our tie and now should be able to move on, what about you Alikai?
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2020, 01:31:05 pm »

No discussion whatsoever. Moon knows I've tried.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2020, 02:33:20 pm »

I’ve admittedly been super daunted by having the contest and everything else due at the end of the phase, but I... should probably show back up and actually do it instead of just hovering awkwardly
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5