Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [OOC] Remembrance - Always Open for New Players  (Read 5293 times)

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
[OOC] Remembrance - Always Open for New Players
« on: May 17, 2020, 01:04:48 pm »

Discord (Please go here if you're considering joining)
IC

A magical world born of despair
    An outlet for confused identity
Neutered by fears of rejection
    Insanity defining the world itself
Kept as a dollhouse for incomplete toys
    Puppets struggling against choice
Looked at through ignorant eyes
    Some things refuse to be forgotten

What's This?
This is Remembrance, also called ANKL sometimes. Remembrance is a character driven story set in a vast world built to feel as real as possible, oftentimes more real than reality. It is driven by pain and sadness, such that moments of triumph and joy shine all the brighter. Reflecting my own experiences and struggles with mental illness and abuse, Remembrance aims to create meaning out of suffering, and hopefully tell an interesting story along the way. It is not for the faint of heart, but I like to think it's more than just a black hole with a thousand knives at the center. Even if a darker tone isn't to your taste, I'd still encourage you to give the RP a closer look, I like to think it's a lot more optimistic than it appears at a glance.

Among the main goals of the RP is for the characters to grow beyond characters, becoming fully fleshed out people whose decisions may surprise even their own creators. Rather than being avatars of their player, they are distinct, with their own histories, personalities, and lives. This allows for the character-driven narrative to flourish, placing characters into interesting situations within the world and allowing them to respond and grow in response to adversity.

Setting
The world of Remembrance is a cruel place where religion and politics reign over a largely unsuspecting populous always on the verge of destruction. Monsters roam freely, threatening to tear entire cities limb from limb. Men are widely enslaved, forced to serve society in dangerous roles. And war threatens to cut life short all across the globe. It is a far from pretty world, and yet for many it remains a happy one. Perhaps those people are just blinded by dogma, or perhaps there truly is something worth living for in this goddessforsaken world. Whatever the case, people live here, and they fight to keep living. Though it may not be a wonderful world, to the people living in this RP, it's the only one they have.

Technologically, the world sits somewhere in the 80s-00s range, depending on the exact area. Things are fairly similar to reality, save for one marked distinction: No wings. Although a potentially powerful technology, the ability to fly through means more complex than a hot air balloon has remained elusive for centuries. Yet this elusive technology is on the brink of discovery. Airships have recently taken flight, and with the barrier finally shattered, it likely won't be long before aerospace technology makes its final leap into the modern day.

Geographically, the world is split into three continents, with the majority of the RP taking place on the middle one. Specifically, the stories told center on the small, seemingly insignificant country of Katria. Once the seat of a mighty empire that spanned the entire continent and beyond, now embroiled in an endless war to take back its former glory. Although this would seem a fruitless endeavor, mandatory military service and a wealth of holy weapons have allowed the imperial remnant to remain a thorn in the world's side for generations.

To Katria's north lies Neridus. A small country itself until very recently, Neridus has rapidly expanded into an empire in its own right, spreading through the might of technology and cultural innovation. By effectively assimilating conquered lands, it has managed to grow to its current size seemingly unhindered. However, despite clear advantages in technology, logistics, and size, Neridus has been halted in its southern advance by Katria, which has taken far more resources to conquer than anticipated.

Southward is Tyran, a collection of smaller states once ruled by the empire. Katria seeks to reconquer these lands, but Tyran takes a stance of quality over quantity when it comes to holy weapon meisters, which has allowed it to outlast its former master, continually growing in influence as Katria slowly shrivels.

To the west is Lanica, a small mercantile country that once housed the trade capital of the world, and now serves as a capital of crime. Destroyed during the imperial collapse, Lanica would have been easy pickings for Katria at any point in history, were it still worth conquering. Due to its strategic location and regularly experiences with uprisings and coups, Lanica is a common target for puppetry by larger countries. The powerful few live in luxury, supported by foreign benefactors or criminal empires, while the rest languish in a state often worse than mere poverty, desperately hoping for a way out. Things do seem to be looking up for Lanica, however. A successful rebellion has recently instituted the first free government since the country's founding. Whether or not this fledgling rebirth can last remains to be seen.

Holy Weapons and Religion
A key component of the world of Remembrance are the mystical tools known as holy weapons. Integrally tied into society, warfare, and religion, they are a rope that binds the setting together. In other words, this is the power system. I'll run through exactly how you make a holy weapon for your PC during the section on character creation, but for now I'll be focusing on outlining the way holy weapons work in and of themselves. And that means I need to talk about religion.

Most places in the world follow some form of the Katrian religion. This religion is centered on ten virtues, the first eight of which are assigned in pairs to four goddesses, with the last two typically being assigned to the church or some other collective entity. These virtues are also further tied into ten matching elements, which fuel the powers of holy weapons. These element-virtue-goddess associations serve as the backbone for both the crafting of weapons and the understanding of religion. Many of the unusual effects of each element only make sense through the lens of the associated virtue, so I'll be combining these explanations for clarity.
Spoiler: Water/Force (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Frost/Spirit (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Flame/Radiance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Thunder/Shadow (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Earth/Time (click to show/hide)

Character Creation
The most significant aspects of making a character for Remembrance are her personality and her holy weapon. These two aspects are entwined, as the Element of a character's holy weapon is determined by the Virtue they are most lacking in. As such, you should typically write a personality and determine an element before you begin working on your weapon.

Holy weapons typically have a single cohesive power, alongside any minor abilities (strength, heat resistance, etc) required to prevent the character from being harmed by her own weapon. If a weapon has a second distinct ability or a particularly powerful ability, then it will suffer the downside of lacking some of the protections it would normally come with. A third ability guarantees that the weapon will absolutely trash its owner when used. A weapon with more than three abilities cannot exist.

The shape of a holy weapon should reflect what it does in some way, and the more powerful the ability, the more directly the form it takes should demonstrate what that power is, and the less likely it is to be literally shaped like a weapon. Some unlucky folks are saddled with a weapon painfully integrated directly into their body. Holy weapons are primarily made out of metal and gem-like structures with colors representing their element.

For your first primary character, you'll be creating a Katrian either in the military as an officer or having left it after their mandatory service ended. Once you have clearly established that character with at least two complete scenes, you'll be allowed to submit a secondary character from anywhere in the world. This second character must have a different element from your primary and cannot have any direct connection to them. In both cases, please feel free to ask for character help in the Discord channel, the world is big and complicated and I am very far from getting all possible relevant information for making a character into this post.

If a character dies or is retired, you may replace them with a new character immediately. If this is your primary, then you may promote your secondary and make a new secondary instead of making a fresh primary. You may also switch the two entirely at the end of an Arc if you please. Primary characters will be incorporated into the current main plotline if possible, while secondary characters will be used to explore the world and participate in smaller scale subplots.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Characters
Primaries
Lieutenant Colonel Monika Sydow - Goggy
Yava Yenthrid - Akira
Major Estela Lazarri - Twin
Second Lieutenant Mirka Kay - Wrench
First Lieutenant Aura Flamine - Sora
Lady Arturia Eberhardt of Folkvangr - Val

Secondaries
Lunete Ellsworth - Val
Immortal - Strat
Special Probationary Officer Sydia Lacus - Goggy

Spoiler: Retired PCs (click to show/hide)

List of NPCs
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 05:21:39 pm by Takosher »
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: [OOC] Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 01:20:35 pm »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 05:58:25 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 01:26:50 pm »

second
Black lives matter.

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:31:51 pm »

Hi it's me again
Primary PC
Spoiler:  JUST MONIKA (click to show/hide)

Secondary PC

The True Secondary PC
Spoiler: A friendly stylist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 05:21:13 pm by GodofGamingRWBY »
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

Raindrop Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
  • The Heroine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 01:38:34 pm »

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:35:24 pm by Raindrop Valkyrie »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »

I have no idea what this is, but it definitely sounds interesting.
I'll edit stuff into the character sheet as I figure stuff out, but one question: the element part says "Which element your character is attuned to, based on whichever of the virtues they are lacking the most" [emphasis added]. Is that how it's supposed to be, or is it supposed to be based on what you have the most of?
Also, why do some of you guys have letter grades for the traits?
These questions have been answered, thank you Twinwolf.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:19:21 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:53:58 pm »

It's correct, you're supposed to get it based on which one is most lacking. I asked.

The letter grades aren't required, it's something the GM did on her example characters as a "here's an idea of how this character is" and some players did it for theirs.

Also, be aware of the discord linked at the top.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 07:05:26 pm »

Ah, thanks. I missed the Discord. Popping over now.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 12:20:40 am »

Primary PC

Secondary PC
Spoiler: The Immortal (click to show/hide)

Retired
Spoiler: The Dragon of Katria (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 07:09:33 pm by Sutoratosu Akira »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 09:14:30 pm »

Spoiler: terminator (click to show/hide)

Character for if I decide to join later, since right now I have too much stuff going on to play, but couldn't resist trying my hand at making a character. I definitely went overboard though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:28:28 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 11:40:38 am »

Virtues
Spoiler: Faith (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Love (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Reason (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ego (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Power (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fear (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luck (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hope (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fortitude (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Eternity (click to show/hide)

Elements

Spoiler: Holy Weapon info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Sorry this isn’t finished yet, how detailed do appearance and personality have to be? I’m putting the virtues and elements here so it’s easier to look through while making my character
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:00:31 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 06:28:32 pm »

Spoiler: terminator (click to show/hide)

Character for if I decide to join later, since right now I have too much stuff going on to play, but couldn't resist trying my hand at making a character. I definitely went overboard though.
First, not going to properly go over a submission until you're certain if you're joining. You're on the Discord so let me know when your situation changes and I'll take a proper pass over your sheet

Second, I glanced over this and I don't need to go over it in-depth to tell you that this doesn't work. The core concept is completely off-kilter relative to the setting, tone, and system of the RP

Sorry this isn’t finished yet, how detailed do appearance and personality have to be?
There's a slew of example sheets that should help you get a sense of how detailed you need to be in your writing
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 10:05:27 pm »

Spoiler: Phantom Lord (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:12:54 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Remuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Laemmle the Sparkly Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 10:37:37 am »

I just noticed that there is no male character player yet,

Anyway, the way how younger they are in higher makes me feel it hit by a miracle.
I answer the call, from now on my sword always be with you.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 12:37:49 pm »

I just noticed that there is no male character player yet,
If you’d read the OP a bit more closely, you would likely see why. I assure you, I considered it for a moment.
Pages: [1] 2