Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Elf Academy [Turn 8: A Good Thrashing]  (Read 16622 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Academy [Turn 2: Coordination]
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 10:42:34 am »

I have no clue why they are though?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2020, 10:43:56 am »

I have no clue why they are though?
they;re elves. Elves don’t die of old age

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2020, 10:55:22 am »

... Lifespan and Lifeforce are different things? Lifespan denotes when you die.. So if you run out, something happens to kill you, not that you die due to your body failing, but the universe literally will kill you in the most strange ways possible. No Life Span means you are effectively going to die. The only question is how your life is going to end.

Lifeforce Drain is literally draining the Life out of someone, meanwhile.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2020, 12:37:50 pm »

[Insert Irony's avatar here]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2020, 01:29:17 pm »

Lifespan is how long you live until you die in the absence of something explicitly killing you.  Taking forty years from infinity still leaves infinity, so the target doesn't die.  If you used something other than Time, it might be more understandable how it could kill someone who is clinically immortal, like if you just used pure Death.  But Time isn't going to kill an elf, therefore you can't kill an elf with Time.

At least that's what I'm assuming.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:34:52 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »

Spoiler: Secret actions? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:23:35 pm by Egan_BW »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2020, 02:27:02 pm »

... Lifespan and Lifeforce are different things? Lifespan denotes when you die.. So if you run out, something happens to kill you, not that you die due to your body failing, but the universe literally will kill you in the most strange ways possible. No Life Span means you are effectively going to die. The only question is how your life is going to end.

Lifeforce Drain is literally draining the Life out of someone, meanwhile.
[Insert Irony's avatar here]

On the brute force side of things, you're only casting at +2, which is generally insufficient to actually murder someone (important and skilled) in one turn. Mooks yes, but major characters- such as your fellow students- are generally wriggling enough that you can't expect to bring your full force to bear on them so easily. The downside here is that they can be obnoxiously difficult to kill. The upside is that you can be obnoxiously difficult to kill.

On the underlying principle side of things, Precepts generally can't really "invent stats" like that- eg you can't use Death to boost somebody's performance by killing their incompetence, or Life to wither them to a husk by growing their mortality. For similar reasons, you also can't use Life to nurture their careers or, as in this case, Death to reduce their preordained day of reckoning. There's certainly ways to inflict curses on people, but they require building their intended effects directly, rather than inventing and then leveraging a more convenient concept.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2020, 02:30:31 pm »

Hehe, K. Well, we'll see how this turn goes. Thanks for the info.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2020, 02:30:59 pm »

On the underlying principle side of things, Precepts generally can't really "invent stats" like that- eg you can't use Death to boost somebody's performance by killing their incompetence, or Life to wither them to a husk by growing their mortality. For similar reasons, you also can't use Life to nurture their careers or, as in this case, Death to reduce their preordained day of reckoning. There's certainly ways to inflict curses on people, but they require building their intended effects directly, rather than inventing and then leveraging a more convenient concept.
Can I still use Life to enhance metals' (and other materials') physical properties?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »

Can I still use Life to enhance metals' (and other materials') physical properties?
Yes. Precepts tend to be broad and somewhat symbolic, so they can sometimes do odd things like using Life to bolster undead or Death to weaken them. The main issue here is that they can't rely on properties that aren't there; Life can be used to "heal" rents in metal, for instance, but it's a manual mending process because there's no natural recovery to speed up or replicate.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2020, 03:06:37 pm »

Yes. Precepts tend to be broad and somewhat symbolic, so they can sometimes do odd things like using Life to bolster undead or Death to weaken them. The main issue here is that they can't rely on properties that aren't there; Life can be used to "heal" rents in metal, for instance, but it's a manual mending process because there's no natural recovery to speed up or replicate.
Hmn, interesting.
Could I use it to give a metal natural healing like actually living things?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2020, 07:59:15 pm »

Hmn, interesting.
Could I use it to give a metal natural healing like actually living things?
"Replicate" might be a better term, but yes. Presumably the enchantment is still doing all the work, though, so it might have limitations or oddities related to that.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2020, 08:32:29 pm »

((Would using Death to reduce the rate of leaking be valid?))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2020, 09:05:14 pm »

I mean... by killing the plant or something, sure. By withering the rate of leakage, no.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2020, 09:25:33 pm »

I mean... by killing the plant or something, sure. By withering the rate of leakage, no.
((hmm, what precept(s) would be good at slowing down/stopping the leaking without killing the plant?))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9