Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchering Beak Dogs  (Read 854 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering Beak Dogs
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:00:18 pm »

I have some beak dogs in cages from a recent goblin siege. They have individual names. Is there any way to butcher them?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering Beak Dogs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 03:09:14 am »

Yes and no...

No: You can't grab them and haul them to the butcher. They're hostile enemies.
Yes: You can release them and kill them, after which the butcher can process the remains. One way to release them is to build the cage and hook it up to a lever and pull the lever, with a militia squad stationed around the cage.
Another method, which I haven't tried, and so don't know if it actually works, is to order them pastured (one at a time) at a pen zone. If you can do that, they ought to follow the civilian hauling them most of the time and attack when released, but sometimes break free en route.
A third alternative is pitting, where you toss them down a hole either for spattering (a very long fall) or for execution by squad or traps. That method definitely has the issue with prisoners sometimes breaking free even if their cages are build around the pit.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 09:40:05 am »

You can release them and kill them, after which the butcher can process the remains. One way to release them is to build the cage and hook it up to a lever and pull the lever, with a militia squad stationed around the cage.
I tried this, and the butchers wouldn't touch it. The corpse was automatically dumped as refuse instead of placed in the corpse stockpile. I assumed that the problem was that the beak dog was still tame even though hostile. I'll turn off refuse orders and try again.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:05:48 am »

Butchers will not butcher too damaged corpses either.
A militia squad can easily do that.
Maybe drop them from some height. The bodysplatter might yield extra skins.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 10:32:30 am »

I assumed that the problem was that the beak dog was still tame even though hostile.
Probably that... The ability to train a captured invader beak dog does not seem intended. If you remove the trainer from the beak dogs, they should all revert to wild state after a few months.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 11:23:13 am »

Well, I've never tried to train invader beak dogs (I did get a few tamed ones before raid equipment corruption got my saves in 0.44.12), but yes, if you do that you'll have to wait until the revert to wild (if they do) or kill them and have a necro or reanimating biome reanimate them for a second killing.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 12:08:26 am »

False alarm. I had accidentally set Dwarves Dump Corpses in the Orders. Now they're butchering just fine.