Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Author Topic: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.  (Read 50384 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.
« Reply #270 on: September 06, 2022, 05:08:19 pm »

You've been busy!

I like how this is developing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 06, 2022, 11:07:27 pm »

looking really good!
do you take any inspiration from starsector?

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2022, 10:14:26 pm »

looking really good!
do you take any inspiration from starsector?

Surprisingly not, while I own and enjoy this game very much (apart from the lack of symmetry in ships that triggers me) I can't count it among the games that inspired me.
A lot comes from actual frustration of not seeing something featured in games. As for inspiration, I can mention (on the top of my head) Mount and Blade (for the army/fleets), Rimword (for the UI architecture), Worms (for the surface side view and destructible environment). Actually, my game project is still called "Wormslike" on my hard drive.

I also count "Distant Worlds" for pioneering before my project the concept of a thriving truly simulated universe in 4X.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #273 on: September 10, 2022, 02:53:32 am »

Hello,

Awesome man, thanks for making this game, really curious to try it.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2022, 03:13:25 pm »

I also count "Distant Worlds" for pioneering before my project the concept of a thriving truly simulated universe in 4X.
Admittedly as bit off-topic, but, among the games I'm familiar with, didn't the X series (X3 in particular) have lots of non player driven simulation? X3 had economies that the player could participate in, but was it not dependent upon them doing so.
That's just off the top of my head, but I know I've played a lot of other games that had simulated time pass when the player wasn't present. (Usually this was time delta simulations on re-entering a system.)

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2022, 02:21:19 am »

Admittedly as bit off-topic, but, among the games I'm familiar with, didn't the X series (X3 in particular) have lots of non player driven simulation? X3 had economies that the player could participate in, but was it not dependent upon them doing so.
That's just off the top of my head, but I know I've played a lot of other games that had simulated time pass when the player wasn't present. (Usually this was time delta simulations on re-entering a system.)

Ah yes you are right ! What a shame I haven't included X3/X4 has the X series has clearly been an inspiration, in both technicals path and general game design.
In general I have found the agent-based AI to be disapointing in games or incomplete. Simulating this is to its extreme is very (very, very) costly in development for not necessarly very obvious benefits in gameplay.
The level of AI depth I am working on is to have the AI agent (a character) to work on both the spaceship/party scale and the corporation scale.

When I mention the examples of DW, X series and Mount and Blade I am mostly praising how well they integrate this depth in AI to serve the gameplay, not necessarly how deep they went into this.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2022, 08:19:56 am »

Awesome work! Glad to see this is moving along well.

I'd also mention Space Rangers as a simulated game with cool AI. Later games let you toggle some stuff so the AI wouldn't magically upgrade their equipment and would have to find and buy it (like the player) instead, and this gave a very living universe vibe to it. Been waiting to see more games that explicitly state they want to go on such direction.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2022, 10:15:15 am »

Glad development is still going.

Did I mention how one of my "dream games" from my childhood was basically this concept? I'll get it as soon as it releases.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 12, 2022, 10:24:26 pm »

I have never given space rangers its chance as the ground combat and mini-games were turning me off, I should give it a go.

KittyTac, that's actually the reason I've learned programming in my childhood.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 27, 2022, 10:42:49 am »

You managed to catch your character in the act of blinking for one of your screenshots (the one that shows off character customization); poor guy.  ;D

Throwing it on my wishlist - any kind of ETA for a playable version?

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 27, 2022, 10:54:17 am »

You managed to catch your character in the act of blinking for one of your screenshots (the one that shows off character customization); poor guy.  ;D

Yea, the official answer is that I have found it comical and kept it, the reality is that relaunching the game and taking a new screenshot would've pissed me off.

I prefer not to give any ETA now, but if that helps answer this, the game is kinda already playable and ""stable"". But I am pretty sure anyone else than myself would break the game in less than 5 minutes.
2023 will be the year of gameplay dev though, this year will bring an answer to this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 27, 2022, 11:01:03 am »

Glad to hear it!

What are your plans regarding beta, early access, closed testing, etc?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 27, 2022, 11:31:57 am »

Steam Page looks great, amazing to see how it's come along over the years! :)

Added to wishlist to help with the almighty algorithm!

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 27, 2022, 12:16:59 pm »

Yea, the official answer is that I have found it comical and kept it, the reality is that relaunching the game and taking a new screenshot would've pissed me off.

I prefer not to give any ETA now, but if that helps answer this, the game is kinda already playable and ""stable"". But I am pretty sure anyone else than myself would break the game in less than 5 minutes.
2023 will be the year of gameplay dev though, this year will bring an answer to this.

as someone who has found the most obscure bugs even the devs are confused by on big triple A games...I can say that I'd break your game really quick :P And all by accident too, I have no idea how I find such obscure bugs just playing games...and find the most obscure game breaking bugs that even the devs get confused by rofl

Looks really good. I'll definitely be buying it :D Been looking forward to this for a while, nice to see a steam page
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22