Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Masters and the Justice system  (Read 1767 times)

AnarchCassius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dungeon Masters and the Justice system
« on: May 03, 2020, 04:32:00 pm »

The wiki says it's the captain of the guard's job to determine punishments but I have noticed quite distinctly that no punishments are assigned if I convict someone with the dungeon master role unfilled. Not even beatings.

I lost the opportunity to deal with several dwarves freaking out because I convicted them before assigning a new DM. They appeared on the list of criminals as soon as I unpaused but never got a punishment.

Is this a bug? Does this always work like this or is there something else about my fort causing it?

If it's not a bug, does the DM personality have any effect on punishment? I feel like the justice system is more beating prone since I appointed the latest DM, and it's not a matter of repeat offenders.

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Masters and the Justice system
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 04:56:27 pm »

Dungeon Master is still completely cosmetic for me. Justice goes ignored until I have a Sheriff or Captain of the Guard, and is downgraded to beatings if no jail space is designated on assigning one.

I've noticed that repeat offenses (say, disorderly conduct) seem to earn a beating if they have an uncompleted jail term assigned to them, rather than just extending the jail time. Also punishment is for the level at which they were convicted - a dwarf I condemned for attacking the officer dragging him to jail only got a beating, even when that fistfight resulted in the death of the officer, because I didn't wait for the death to be reported before convicting.

AnarchCassius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Masters and the Justice system
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:04:17 pm »

The assignment of beatings is for the same sort of crimes as before, with the same sort of past offenses. It's probably just pure chance due to the small sample size on that one.

As for the Dungeon Master's role. The thing is, they're not downgraded to beatings; they are downgraded to nothing. I only started getting beatings again once the new DM was assigned.