Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armor Volume, Weight  (Read 1470 times)

fartron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armor Volume, Weight
« on: April 26, 2020, 02:11:46 pm »

The Armor page on the wiki doesn't have the actual volumes of the armor pieces and I couldn't find information on their weight anywhere, despite lots of people talking about encumbrance. I decided to use the formula from this talk page on the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012_Talk:Weight to make an excel sheet. This is all for armor constructed by dwarfs, for dwarfs. Goblinite and immigrant gear will be way off. Let me know if you see any obvious mistakes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here's a table with just the results

Low boots don't seem to be worth cutting corners for light-weight uniforms, but this makes me think steel caps might be more useful than I realized. Especially for civilian or marksdwarfs.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Volume, Weight
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 02:25:30 am »

Nice, thanks.
Could you add shield and buckler?

fartron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 10:13:30 am »

I have to guess a lot for shields.

I guess the system uses their chance to block as a percentage the same way the rest of the armor uses coverage and layer size. And I guess that they are destined for arms even though dwarfs are usually seen just carrying them in their hands. Using the hand % of the body plan gives very low numbers that don't sound right. But UristDaVinci didn't post a percentage for arms, and I don't quite understand how he got his numbers. So working backwards from his %s and the body data in the raws I would guess that arms are 7.35% or .0735 in the spreadsheet.

This gives me results that at least look close to possible. The wiki says that copper shields can weigh 13 urists and I'm getting just under 12. If the % of the body part is closer to .08 (maybe it includes the hand and the arm? maybe i'm wrong about how to get the %?) then I get a copper shield just under 13 urists.

The weight ratio stays the same either way, but it's still a bunch of guesses.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 10:21:50 am »

Going by my arena tests, higher UPSTEP values increase shield weight, but higher blockchance does not.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

fartron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:12:38 am »

It's possible they use an entirely different formula, but if block doesn't matter then shields and bucklers are much closer in weight.

Assuming the same formula, with only step factor modifying the weight and shields targeted at hands, I get a copper shield back around 12 urists.

DwarfDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 01:12:27 pm »

I just wanted to weigh in and say this was awesome info, thanks so much for doing this!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 09:00:36 am »

Headsup, your math is off somewhere; an arena-spawned dwarf steel breastplate is 16U, and dwarf-sized iron buckler weights 8U.