Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Question about Evil Biomes  (Read 903 times)

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
A Question about Evil Biomes
« on: April 23, 2020, 03:01:44 pm »

Are the Re-Animation and Evil Weather Properties consistant across the whole Biome, or can they vary within it?

We have recently retired a Fortress at the Edge of a relatively non-threating Evil Biome, and wish to spread Our Civilization deeper within it.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: A Question about Evil Biomes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:07:26 pm »

They're constant within the biome, yeah. If your old fort wasn't reanimating the new one won't be either.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 04:05:17 pm »

Thank You.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 02:43:34 am »

That was true prior to 0.47.01. The current situation may be more complicated.
- Reanimation can be added to regions as evil spheres spread. I'd guess it can happen while you play a fortress, so a subsequent fortress can get reanimation even while the current one remains unaffected. I don't know if it actually happens, but even if it does, the odds of it are low.
- Reanimation can now be added to non evil regions, although I assume this only takes effect in parts that are Evil.
- Dead Percentage, i.e. the percentage of the trees that are dead can be set to 100% on regions during history, just as Reanimation can. "Natively" evil regions can have a Dead Percentage between 0 and 100, set from the start. Again, I assume the Dead Percentage only affects evil parts of the region.
- Evil Weather is set during world gen (before history starts) and isn't changed by evil spheres. Evil weather only appears in natively evil regions (I believe it's possible to mod weather to appear in good and neutral regions as well, but it's still set at the start. It's possible to hack it, though, i.e. add/remove weather prior to embark).

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 11:48:05 am »

Thank you for this information.

We are still playing on 0.44.12, so the Conditions prior to 0.47.01 still apply.