Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Veganism and Vegetarianism Thread  (Read 15361 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Veganism and Vegetarianism Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 31, 2021, 04:28:42 am »

And in the meantime-
For sure, sometimes we eat meat. Particularly eggs.

I am not saying that everyone who meat is bad.  I eat meat.
But it's nice to reduce the harm, isn't it?
Edit: The context is fabricated eggs.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 31, 2021, 07:44:38 pm »

While not actually a vegetarian, I have modified my diet to the point where I could easily fit in with one, even veganism isnt that much different than my own daily diet.

I eat chicken and fish, and eggs.  And salad dressing that apparently has baby anchovies in it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2021, 09:33:23 pm »

Having not eaten meat (except fish, and eggs I guess) for a few years and then trying it out a couple of times in the past six months, I can say that meat is actually kinda boring.

Chicken in particular. I think everything is said to taste like chicken because it doesn’t really taste of anything.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2021, 04:04:00 am »

While not actually a vegetarian, I have modified my diet to the point where I could easily fit in with one, even veganism isnt that much different than my own daily diet.

I eat chicken and fish, and eggs.  And salad dressing that apparently has baby anchovies in it.
No baby shark?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2021, 06:07:40 am »

do doo doo do doo doo
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2021, 10:31:25 pm »

I pretty much fell into this too.  Eggs are so cheap for the protein they provide (and they're pretty tasty).  And my dad is always catching fish, by rod, so I have no problem eating them.  Though canned tuna are a whole different thing - trawling/overfishing is harmful.

My dad pushed a little filet mignon on me for Halloween and it tasted alright.  Must have been the first steak I've had in years, though I have small amounts of ground burger now and then.  I would have objected but, I mean, it's the one cut of the cow that has a good texture (to me).  And he was respectful enough to only serve me a few bites - my stomach has rejected too much steak in the past.  Doesn't have the right acids anymore, or something.

I certainly prefer to eat fish and sometimes chicken, but it's no longer a challenge I'm putting on myself.  My eating habits don't accomplish anything.  It's just what I *want* to eat at this point, and mostly I prefer my beans and grains for protein.  I like to romanticize it as some sort of low-impact peasant-diet, but it's just what I'm used to now and it comforts me.  I eat meat (like eggs) when I feel like I'm missing a nutrient.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2021, 07:46:25 pm »

I get funny about aninal corpses these days. I will eat eggs though.

Do you think the potato curses us for stealing the future of its children? Jainism makes as much sense as veganism really.

I don't think it's ethical to eat animals before you did it yourself.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2021, 03:22:15 am »

Been a vegan for a couple years now. Some milk and eggs have snuck in at the margins, of course--sometimes a housemate picks up some food without checking the label, and I try not to be too picky at restaurants beyond avoiding obvious meat dishes. I think I'm pretty clean otherwise though.

It feels kinda nice in its own odd, abstract way. I end up having a lot of bread, lentil soups, and other slightly bland but healthy food. Also a lot of Chinese stuff, stir-fries and fried rice, that sort of thing, and I like to think I've gotten pretty good at cooking that in particular.

Loosely relatedly, around the same time I stopped eating animal products, I decided to kick my soda habit, which has probably been pretty healthy for me. I still have some when eating out or when the mood strikes me, but I stick to water and tea for the most part these days.
Do you think the potato curses us for stealing the future of its children? Jainism makes as much sense as veganism really.
In my experience veganism is rarely a position taken for abstract philosophical reasons, like the ethicality of killing or eating animals. Usually it's motivated by the desire to distance oneself from and perhaps in some microscopic way diminish the animal products industry.

As an example, the industrial production of eggs, by its nature, often creates poor living conditions for chickens, and generally facilitates the killing of most roosters and hens past their prime for cost-cutting reasons; thus, people try to distance themselves from the egg industry not because of some abstract idea that it's wrong to eat an unborn chicken, but because the industry by its nature harms living ones.

(I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative or anything, by the way--just wanted to explain the position most vegans I know have.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2021, 10:25:28 am »

I get funny about aninal corpses these days. I will eat eggs though.

I don't think it's ethical to eat animals before you did it yourself.

Technically I think we aren't eating the potato's children but its clones.

Yes, the potato is an evil tentacled scientist hellbent on conquering the world through cloning itself until everything is potato, and the only way to stop it is to kill and eat all the clones you can

Before it is too late
Love, scriver~

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2021, 12:24:05 pm »

Technically I think we aren't eating the potato's children but its clones.

Yes, the potato is an evil tentacled scientist hellbent on conquering the world through cloning itself until everything is potato, and the only way to stop it is to kill and eat all the clones you can

Before it is too late

True, actually :P Nice way of putting it!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2021, 12:35:23 pm »

The potato plant itself is a toxic nightshade that fills the air with irritating particles.  Only its tubers are safe to eat, so that is where we must attack!  And new sprouts can form from tiny bits so it's important we eat them all up.

I've seen sci-fi where some people refuse to eat vegetables OR meat, relying on artificial nutrients or single-celled organisms somehow.  But I think Tawa's right about most vegetarianism, it's mostly about reducing impact (both economic and ecological).  That's why I'm fine eating meat in moderation these days.  The cruelty of factory farming disturbs me too, but it's kind of a separate issue.

As an example, I never had much of a problem with hunters even when I was vegetarian.  Guns scare me and killing a mammal myself was... upsetting, but hunting is tied to conservation for a reason.  There are some toxic elements, and I think deer overpopulation is largely maintained on purpose in order to justify hunting, but it's nowhere close to the horror of even factory egg and milk production.  Hunting traditions are worth preserving (particularly native ones).  I think going on or observing a hunt, and helping clean an animal, probably helps people *value* the meat they eat. 

Whereas the "cheap" (heavily subsidized) slabs of processed meat-and-tissues in so many convenient foods don't seem like dead animals.  It's just normal protein-rich foodstuff that we're encouraged not to think about.  That bothers me.  People should know the broad strokes of what they're eating. 
(I'm not going Jamie Oliver here though, using every part of the animal is a *good* thing.  As long as we recognize that it used to be an animal.)
She/they

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2021, 05:57:38 pm »

Interesting thread all around.

I don't respect drama/fad vegans that let everyone know they are vegans because being vegan is what define them because vegans are the best and the vegans are..... and so on. You get the picture. Luckily we don't have many of those around here. Respect for those that do it for moral reasons and are quiet about it.

Vegetarians... well. I guess they are fine. Never meet a voluntary vegetarian that is also a nice person.

Meat eaters.... well. When I said voluntary is because our political and economical situation has made people involve and left out protein from the table and become the occasional treat.

Personally we have been on a white meat diet for a long time with scarce meat periods complemented by any legume we could put our pawns on.

While as of last month with are on a far, far better standing thanks to me finally finding a good job, we agreed on not going back to red meat more than once per week and instead complement our dull chicken diet with a bit of pork and fish, so it would be like one day the lunch protein will be red meat, around 150 g portion, another day pork about 100 g portion, another day fish 150 g per portion and the rest of the days chicken on similar portions. This are raw weight which reduces a lot after cooking. We dont use oils for cooking and instead use a non-sticky electric pan or a regular. Peters portions are half of that so we end up cooking between 250 g to 400 g of meat per day. In total is about 10~12 kg of assorted meat per month or almost 120~150 kg per year. Wow... never took that into account.

This is a rather obscene increase in portions and frequency on our meat consumption but we think we can afford it and is not that unhealthy, specially if we move away from filling up the voids between veggies with carbs because they were the cheaper thing we could afford to fill those gaps.

You should know I support and bank on the far away dream of cultured meat becoming economical and sustainable enough to become mainstream, along with vertical aerophonics farms.

On Venezuela on general cow meat is free range, as milk is is too. We are a couple notches behind in agri tech. Chickens on the other hand, I think is right up there with the cruel global practices but also is the cheapest meat you can find so its a hard dicotomy for those few of us that ever put a though on it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 06:02:11 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2022, 11:11:14 pm »

Bump for KFC Beyond Nuggets, I just found out about these!  Has anyone else tried them?

There used to be Kentucky Fried Chicken joints all around, I feel like.  Then the merger happened and there were joint KFC/Taco Bell places, which were amazing - all the good TB stuff plus some crispy chicken or greasy green beans.  But nowadays I hardly ever see a KFC place at all, even in NC!  I think I know of one, but I'm curious whether anyone else has given the vegan nuggets a go.

I have a soft spot for nuggets but it may be because they taste like fried cartilage and connective tissue.  Which isn't far off.  They cut away the actual meat, then they "mechanically separate" the remainder into this chewy stuff.  I don't feel any guilt for eating it, it'd just be fed back to other livestock or wasted.  It's a good substrate for tasty fried breading.
She/they

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2022, 01:04:25 am »

Does it feel like chicken when you’re eating it? Having tended strongly toward not eating avian or mammalian meat a few years ago (I have had the odd burger in the last year or so) I now can’t eat chicken because it just has a really weird mouth feel to it, and doesn’t actually really taste of anything.

I don’t know if it has something to do with Covid, because I came down with and recovered from that between throwing off non-piscine meat and having some chicken, and I lost smell and taste for about a month.

I did have catfish in what I could only describe as a dive bar in Kentucky, for the first time, and it was really quite spectacular. I had to keep checking to make sure it had the flakiness of fish because it was like eating chicken tenders. Loved it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2022, 01:10:42 am »

Honestly no.  There's a lack of... juicyness?  Like yeah, this tastes lean, but it doesn't really taste like meat.

Oh wait you meant the Beyond nuggets.  I honestly thought you meant the fast-food chicken nuggets for a moment, and rolled with it.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14