Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reclaimed an abandoned worldgen fort -- now what?  (Read 1294 times)

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
reclaimed an abandoned worldgen fort -- now what?
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:50:04 am »

never done this before, but thought it might be an interesting change from the usual early-fort routine

it's a standard issue worldgen fort -- giant square building on the surface, with a tavern and trade depot and a single-tile-wide spiral ramp down to god knows where (i know what to expect from adventure mode, but my fortress dwarfs haven't explored down there yet)

so far i've just unloaded the wagon into a stockpile in the big building, set up a quick dorm in the tavern, and started mining a few levels down so i could get some rock blocks to wall off a pasture for the yaks that pulled the wagon

and, i'm kinda bored?  i should be getting food and drink industries started, planning out excavations, etc, but i sorta can't be bothered really

there might be a forgotten beast or ettin or whatever somewhere down there (like, whatever caused them to abandon during worldgen -- i've forgotten what it was) but i didn't find it in adventure mode, so maybe it's long gone

there's a single elf abbott hanging around the trading post, marked as hostile but has left me alone.  iirc from adventure mode, there were a few other random people down on the bedroom levels, but the fortress dwarfs haven't seen them yet

there's no trees on the surface, but there are saplings... so i might have a forest in a few years, but for now i don't really have wood unless i find some in the caverns

idk, inspire me?

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: reclaimed an abandoned worldgen fort -- now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 02:53:28 am »

Here's some ideas:
  • Build an arena and start a war with a neighbor, then use the existing rooms to capture creatures and enemy soldiers to make them fight! (record movies, convert to GIFs, and post on the Community & Stories board)
  • Use legends mode (or better yet, the Legends Browser) to find the cause of the ruin (and where it now resides) and take your vengeance against it!
  • Build something to attract visitors, and make a contraption to assassinate historically important ones
  • Allow lots of visitors, setup a museum of artifacts, and a death-trap to punish artifact thieves
  • Dig really deep, get the really good stuff, and make the best possible set of adventurer equipment in the game, then go back to Adventure Mode to suit-up and hunt down some big bads.
  • Dig even deeper and unleash the ****** in a way that spares your fortress (but not the surface world), then see what it does to the world history

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:02:45 am »

Go full archaeologist, setting up a base camp where your scholarly dwarves write books about the previous civilisation of these ruins, leaving behind a wealth of knowledge for the next generation

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 06:32:12 am »

Dig even deeper and unleash the ****** in a way that spares your fortress (but not the surface world), then see what it does to the world history

You can't build really at edge of the map, unless using water-magma or bridges. Though this is an interesting idea. Ha! Good idea to life up a boring, stagnated and small world. :D

Conor891

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 04:20:06 pm »

I tend to play the game through multiple fortresses and adventurers in a single world instead of just focus on one fort. I like trying to build up the dwarven civ little by little through each fort I make.

I tend to look at reclaiming fortresses as more short term than a normal fortress. My goal is usually to correct what caused it to be destroyed or abandoned and improve and fortify everything that world gen fortresses lack like noble rooms, jails, hospitals, and defenses and such while still having a lot of the design be intact. My end goal is usually to have the fortress become at least a barony, which I afterwards I will retire it and either reclaim another fortress or start a new one. The end result is the dwarven civ reclaiming some of their lost land and regaining some of that lost power while also re-adding another fortress to be interacted with in adventure mode.