Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: One Thread Arms Race Turn 1 Revision  (Read 2619 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One Thread Arms Race Turn 1 Revision
« on: April 16, 2020, 06:59:33 pm »

With my computer currently deceased I decided to ask myself “what could I do from the phone?” This is the result.

Welcome to One Thread Arms Race.

The entire game will take place in this one thread. Both teams will make their proposals, discussions, and votes in this thread.

Oneidas is a small spectacularly Democratic island nation in the Pacific. It is currently fighting the gloriously Communist island of Twodes over some recent slight or another. All that matters to you is that there’s war to profit from, and both nations have come to your thinktank for assistance.

While you will probably attain some level of affection for your pet nation of choice, it is important to remember that you want the war to last as long as possible for maximum profits.

Designs will be proposed here. You will be voting for two designs, and the highest two votes at the end of a phase will be rolled for with each one randomly assigned to one of the two teams. I will be using the 2d6 system you can find in a few other games, and the rules for difficulty will be the same as well.

Since it may be beneficial to push an intentionally faulty design forward to try to level the playing field or just make things interesting, you can label a design with BROKEN and it will function worse the higher it’s result.

Tech level is Cold War, with flexibility on level of sci-fi. Think diet Mad Arms Race, or Iron Behemoths but if people did what they were supposed to.

Once designs and revisions are done there will be a general vote for which nation is going on the offensive, and then finally I will tap out a combat report on this here phone before the cycle begins anew.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 02:05:43 pm by Man of Paper »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One Thread Arms Race Turn 1 Design
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 07:07:59 pm »

Well intresting.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 07:18:49 pm »

Of course, of course. There is no use having a war without firearms! For an appropriate price, we will supply the Ballista Artillery Rifle MK1! This long rifle forged of spectacular and glorious steel bits and pieces fires only a single shot, using an incredibly high caliber that would likely break the shoulder of the user if not for the attached tripod and brace! While it may not be good for skirmishes, at long range the Ballista may as well be a piece of artillery, punching through anything up to and including an engine block to cause maximum havoc! The design also includes a detachable scope to use in appropriate aiming activities.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:37:49 pm »

I’m interested in doing this, but don;t know a design idea yet

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 08:46:06 pm »

...heh. Oh, this will be interesting.

For whoever doesn't take the ballista rifle, let's give them a tank. A big 'ol, fuck-you, heavily-armored tank... but there should be (small, difficult-to-hit) weak points that ballista snipers can exploit. Aside from that, no traditional tank cannons; give it a swivel machinegun on top and two broadside machineguns (they're fixed to the sides, so you need to move the whole tank in order to turn those. Like a ship.).
Also it's fucking slow. But it turns on a dime!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:34 am »

I don't believe our costumers would react well to be giving WWI grade equipment.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 12:23:22 am »

Obviously, we need to make stupidification weaponry. Only for ourselves, of course.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 12:36:00 am »

Barf HMG
This heavy machine gun barfs out absurdly large bullets at a high rate of fire. But oh no! Sadly due to the weapon's weight and the rate at which it chews through ammo, it's only usable defensively. Great for keeping the enemy from pushing through your lines, though.
Oh yeah, and the bullets are custom made and only manufactured by us. Gonna cost you guys. :3

Oh yeah, and we'll sell a similar weapon to the other side, only in a slightly different calibre.

(Okay, so the obvious play here is to make defensive weapons, because any breakthrough will just bring the war closer to a close. If both sides are defensive powerhouses, then the war will last forever! Profit!)

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 04:41:24 am »

Shiver, Armoured Centipede
Utilizing an advanced hydraulic system, each armoured segment is supported by strong but simple legs capable of digging into rough terrain to guarantee support in areas a conventional tank would struggle to cross. Each individual section designed to be capable of supporting a number of additional sections in the event of loss of legs elsewhere. In addition, the hydraulics are also used to enable sections to lift, letting the Centipede rear-up on its back legs. This enables a capability quite unique to the Centipede, the ability to climb even cliff faces or appropriately reinforced skyscrapers.

The Shiver is targetted at providing infantry support and missile-based anti-tank capability with plenty of room for mounting shorter length weapons on any given armoured section.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 07:29:23 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 12:53:46 pm »

Post to Play, hopefully? At the least, stupid designs might be my thing. Note the below is a shamelessly stolen RL design.

Yī Tank

The Yī Tank boasts 7-13 mm of armor and is powered by a 305 four-cylinder air-cooled gasoline engine. Quarter-elliptical leaf spring suspension and it's treads lets it see 25 km/h off road, and 37 on roads. Weighing in at around 5.4 Tons with 2 × 7.92 mm MG13 machine guns, at 4.02m L x 2.06m W x 1.72m H, and room for a commander and driver, this light tank is perfect for a newly fledged war team, boasting 200 km operational range. Any statements we stole the design are slander by foreign companies.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 01:00:49 pm »

Not sure if biological designs are allowed, but I think they are
Bomb Bats
Bats fitted with explosives to be sent to the enemy, who will roost within buildings and explode upon being exposed to light. We recommend deploying them on a new moon night to avoid early explosions

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 01:26:59 pm »

Need votebox for undisputable officiality

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 01:34:02 pm »