Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mercenary Order Questions.  (Read 2107 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Mercenary Order Questions.
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:11:00 am »

Hey, I've been improving the pages related to all the new entities. I am having a bit of trouble updating the mercenary page though: All the forts in my world that were started by mercenary orders have their orders dissolved after losses.

So my question is: Has anyone visited the fort of an active mercenary order (note: not bandits)? Do they have anything unique besides a potential temple in their courtyard? Like, can you join a mercenary order like you can join bandits?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercenary Order Questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 01:35:03 pm »

You can join bandits?  :o
In all my adventures, I was attacked by them on sight and I was killing only Goblins and Trolls from Dark Towers, monsters and animals...

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 03:19:05 pm »

One unique thing I notice when I visited an active mercenary fort was that every member who came from different civs will wear their home civ's emblem.

You can't ask to join, sadly, however I have been wandering if you can retire on the site and unretire to see if you are member of the order.

If you want to get one try to stop when you see 3 or 4 forts spawn so you can get them while their hot.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 09:43:21 am »

Thanks! I checked the string dump, and couldn't find anything related to joining mercenaries either.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 03:21:53 pm »

One of my companions showed me the way to approach a bandit camp: assume another identity.
I guess under your own identity you are seen as a member of your civilisation and as such an enemy.

Depending on the stance of the mercenaries towards your civilization you might need to do the same.

Lying about your identity takes skill. I didn't try that yet. It is likely to fail at start.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 11:35:02 pm »

One of my companions showed me the way to approach a bandit camp: assume another identity.
I guess under your own identity you are seen as a member of your civilisation and as such an enemy.

Depending on the stance of the mercenaries towards your civilization you might need to do the same.

Lying about your identity takes skill. I didn't try that yet. It is likely to fail at start.

Yeah if you have an entity civ character. If your character is an outsider, they have no civ values in conflict v. bandits.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 01:51:49 am »

Yeah if you have an entity civ character. If your character is an outsider, they have no civ values in conflict v. bandits.
You can also start the game as a bandit. Just choose any camp start. Most of the time it's a bandit camp and people in nearby towns will assume you're there to mug them and greet you like a bandit (I have nothing for you).

Sometimes it's a refugee camp of course. Might want to check Legends first.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 10:39:46 pm »

You can also start the game as a bandit. Just choose any camp start. Most of the time it's a bandit camp and people in nearby towns will assume you're there to mug them and greet you like a bandit (I have nothing for you).

Sometimes it's a refugee camp of course. Might want to check Legends first.

Hmmm, the only way to avoid conflicting values (so you can get along with civ or bandit) is to be an outsider...but, outsider only happens in unmodded vanilla IIRC when you gen a fairly small world.

Might have to test an outsider going to merc fort to see if there's a join.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 12:33:25 am »

Hey, I've been improving the pages related to all the new entities. I am having a bit of trouble updating the mercenary page though: All the forts in my world that were started by mercenary orders have their orders dissolved after losses.

So my question is: Has anyone visited the fort of an active mercenary order (note: not bandits)? Do they have anything unique besides a potential temple in their courtyard? Like, can you join a mercenary order like you can join bandits?

The joining mechanic is the same as for previous versions. Joining a band of mercs, likewise is based on your character's remarkable deed (usually a kill). And once done, you can request services pertaining to being a soldier of the band, not unlike how it works when you become a hearthperson.

Irrespective of successful joining, whether your character can get along with whomever depends on the civ/creature/entity values.

Goblin mercs or say a merc band who has the creature token [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] (say a fort in the lands of evil), will result in a bloodbath. They might be glad to have you for your bold deeds, but the value clash means they also wanna kill you.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 04:15:53 am »

So, you're confirming here it is possible to join a mercenary band the way it is possible to join a bandit camp? As in, you actually saw the prompt in the conversation menu?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 04:43:04 am »

So, you're confirming here it is possible to join a mercenary band the way it is possible to join a bandit camp? As in, you actually saw the prompt in the conversation menu?

Yes. The menu option "ask to become a soldier" is one of the conversation choices. And once you are part of the group, like a hearthperson, you can ask for "quests."

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 05:33:49 am »

Cheers, that really helps! I've added it to the wiki :)