Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sneaky were visitor...  (Read 868 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sneaky were visitor...
« on: April 10, 2020, 04:31:01 pm »

So I had this visiting scholar, clad in full armor and having a few trinkets made out of bone, some of it from sapients. Great, another necro visitor under a false identity... In addition to the other two and the intelligent undead ones already present.

Suddenly the bugger turns into a were, but just stands in the middle of the room, and quickly turns back just after I realized that this probably would be the end of the fortress. So instead of trying to flee to the "safety" of the outside, I can sick a squad of my raw recruit level dorfs on it and eliminate it.

Something completely different: All my visiting scholars are bugged. They read my books, all 6 of them, (and hold on to them, so I have to dump them back), but they don't research, but just have no activity, apart from the reading (this might be what saved the fortress). The tavern visitors behave normally. The scholars leave normally, though.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Sneaky were visitor...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:56:49 pm »

The scholar bugginess might be due to a not-completely-closed conflict... The conflict "opened" when the were-creature transformed and line of sight was established to visiting scholars, but the conflict was not-completely-closed  as events happened, so some of the participants are still linked to the conflict (This conflict may no longer exist, but the units are still linked to it, which interrupts or limits their ability to accept jobs.).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 06:23:24 pm »

Same issue, which is bugging mass pits. Unfortunately, you can't pasture scholars to resolve it. :D

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 01:36:15 am »

The scholar bugginess might be due to a not-completely-closed conflict... The conflict "opened" when the were-creature transformed and line of sight was established to visiting scholars, but the conflict was not-completely-closed  as events happened, so some of the participants are still linked to the conflict (This conflict may no longer exist, but the units are still linked to it, which interrupts or limits their ability to accept jobs.).
No. All visiting scholars have been bugged since they first arrived, and the were one was the latest to arrive, with the first one to visit having left a long time ago.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 04:30:25 am »

Your own scholars function normally I take? Maybe those 6 are necro-spies looking maybe for some "tablet" obtained by you earlier in an adventure? :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 05:41:31 am »

I don't have any scholars, nor anything acquired by raids, nor do I play adventure mode. The fortress is still in the startup phase.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 05:44:43 am »

Are you sure the scholars are scholars and not infiltrators? I've not paid much attention to my scholars last fort, but I did notice a lack of discussion and I assumed they were actually all infiltrators.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 07:32:09 am »

I can't be SURE. Most of them are undead in one form or another (like the rest of the visitors). I'm trying to make sense of the "army controller" structure, and can distinguish between visitors to the tavern and to the library (they are both of the t24 type), and haven't found anything that seems to refer to (plot) agreements so far. All of the buggers have false identities, but all undead have that.

Apparently I can't interrogate them, as there seems to have been a detected crime in the fortress for me to be allowed to question anyone, so I killed the gobbo spy (was from the gobbo civ attacking me), rather than subject him to some hard questions. I'm not at all sure the spy was an active spy, rather than one that just happens to be operating under an assumed identity, but past experience showed that performance troupe members belonging to enemy civs reported back the location of my traps, so I assume this kind of spy does as well.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 08:03:49 am »

You could try to approach it from the opposite end as well: check whether they have academic topic knowledge, have academic skills or look for them being apprentices or having resided at libraries in the past. You can apply the same to performers. And I think the same applies to pilgrims: do they worship or actually have visited other sites for the temple they're coming from?

I have to admit I have lost track of how spies work, I think they just spread rumours of artifact presence in your fort to the parent civ, but now we also have infiltration plots, and those seem to be a different beast from the spies... (I've never gotten an army requesting an artifact either, so...)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 11:21:59 am »

Yes. I checked the "scholar" I have at the moment, and it doesn't know anything. However, it fooled me that it was someone else, according to exported legends.
I don't have any pilgrims as I don't have any dedicated temples. Normally I wouldn't accept visitors to them because they only attracted riffraff, but while investigating I'd actually like to get some of them.

I never saw a single spy in 0.44.12 before I gave up playing due to the raid corruption bug, despite using a script to detect them. Plenty of gobbo civ performance troupe members, but nobody with a fake identity.

I've never gotten an army requesting an artifact either, and the single quester group I got in this world weren't after one in my fortress.

Edit: So I finally got a theft, perfectly timed to coincide with a gobbo invasion. The thief is "scheduled" for an interrogation, although it didn't happen during the siege, while I also scheduled the actor/messenger (the one who had the artifact in the inventory). The actor/messenger made a bee-line for the exit, but is now trapped in my caravan entry airlock. The question now is if I'll actually be able to interrogate him, or if he'll just run as soon as I lower the drawbridge. In the latter case I'll just have him killed to at least recover the artifact (and a dastardly thief it is, stealing from children: the artifact is a toy mini-forge).

Edit2: Apparently one random crime is what's needed as an excuse to round up the visitors for interrogation. The two other visitors interrogated confessed to various crimes, while the caged necro caught while trying to sneak in during a siege denied involvement in plots. Thus, one criminal is imprisoned, but I still don't dare to let the artifact thief out.

Edit 3: I tried to lower the drawbridge, and the thief ran away off the map, chased by the sheriff. Killing the game and trying again it was possible to catch the bugger with some deft door locking. Retrieving the artifact requires DFHack to dump it, though (or killing the criminal).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:53:52 am by PatrikLundell »